what would be a good SECOND ukulele?

sternship

Reaction score
hi there - been playing the uke for a while, learnt on a mahalo soprano uke - it was pretty cheap and i was thinking of buying another uke - what would you guys recommend as an intermediate ukulele? i was thinking a concert uke would be a good idea as all the guys who seem to play seriously have them.......any suggestions? lookin got spend up to £100 / $150.

Thanks in advance!

hi there - been playing the uke for a while, learnt on a mahalo soprano uke - it was pretty cheap and i was thinking of buying another uke - what would you guys recommend as an intermediate ukulele? i was thinking a concert uke would be a good idea as all the guys who seem to play seriously have them.......any suggestions? lookin got spend up to £100 / $150.

Thanks in advance!

hey, are you in the UK? My second uke was a Lanikai CK-C and cost £140, I'm not sure what else is available in mid-range for £100. From what I've seen there seems to be a lack of instruments between £50 and £100. You could try getting something from MGM in the US but the problem with that is VAT and import duty which makes it really expensive.

It might be worth checking out theukuleleshop.co.uk or the dukeofuke.co.uk.

The nearest thing I've found is at Duke of Uke for £125 and is here: http://www.dukeofuke.co.uk/antonio-carvalho-solid-portuguese-concert-ukulele-p-674.html

I've never heard of nor had any experience of that brand however. One thing to note is that Duke of Uke often mislabel their ukes as solid instruments when in fact they are laminates (or plywood if you're English). The Lanikai I bought is a laminate koa wood but was labelled in Duke of Uke as solid wood and with a £50 premium over prices in other shops for some unknown reason.

Last edited:
hi there - thanks for that......yes I am in the UK - i bought my first uke from djmmusic.com - they have some reasonably priced concert ukes on there from mahalo - is that a cheap & nasty brand or is it ok? i mean my current uke is by them but i have nothing to compare it to!!! Plus it's not on the list of brands in the 'ukulele reviews' section.

Thanks for the info guys!

I've only tried a handful of Mahalos, but I'm afraid I didn't really get on with any of them.

For a step up from the beginner ukes I suggest maybe the Stagg US80. It's solid mahogany throughout - no laminate. Do not confuse it with the lower end Staggs which do use laminate.

Available from this site at a pretty fair price. LINK to soprano Stagg>>

I have one of those (or rather my wife does), and I also have the concert version (electro) LINK to concert Stagg >>

US80-S__14184-L.jpg

These solid mahogany ukes are way louder than the entry-level laminate Mahalos and the tone is fuller and more defined. They still need the action tweaked and decent strings fitted, but they're sound next-step ukes, IMO.

Check out RUFUS YELLS' REVIEW of the Stagg.

My recommendation does not extend to the lower-end Staggs. The ones I've seen don't sound as good as the US80 and UC80 all-solid models.

Forgot to say, NFI in that site I linked to - their prices just seem amongst the best I found and customer service was quick to reply to emails.

Mmmm. I would be looking at the Mainland for solid wood near your price range, or Kala or Ohana lines. For that price range or a wee bit more.

I agree with upskydowncloud in that there seems to be very little in the UK in your price range. Very few music shops seem to sell anything other than the cheap toy/starter ukes or the top end. I wouldn't buy a musical instrument like a uke online because I think you need to try it out before you buy - my personal opinion.

Do you have a Hobgoblin Music near you? They do the Ashbury's (of which I have two now) which are a good instrument for the price.

There also seems to be a lack of mid-priced sopranos in the shops I have visited. Still haven't found one I'm happy with.

hey thanks for all that!! i've noticed there is a dearth of quality ukes in the uke-a (like what i did there?!)
still those links look good - now only a question of gettin the cash together!!!! i like the look of the stagg one. not many quality music shops near me but i remember one of them having a lanikai pineapple i think. I basically wanted a louder one - how would pineapple compare to a concert? (it was a soprano pineapple but i got the impression it would give a louder sound) It's a fair way to the shop and i can't get there so can't try for myself at the mo!!

import duty

For the $150. range KA-SC by Kala its concert mahogany with a sitka spruce top. Nice gloss finish and loads of volume. The Uke Republic ships to the U.K.. How much is import duty?

only just saw ur msg!!!
not really sure how much the duty would be...how much is shipping?!

if u are willing to spend 190 us then you can get a mainland:D:D:D

you can call them at 812-988-6760! i am sure he can give you all the info you need.

I'm in the UK and I went to Hobgoblin in Manchester and tried quite a few Ukes there. Of all that they had I really liked a Tanglewood Soprano for £89 and made a mental note to go back when I had the money. Luckily my wife remembered me talking about it and at Christmas she sent my son in to buy it. Unfortunately it had been sold but she managed to get me a Tanglewood Concert from Curly Music in Liverpool and it is a really lovely instrument. I think the list price is £125 but she got a better deal than that.
I have a friend who has a Stagg UC60S concert and that is also very nice and can be had for an absolute bargain £49 from GAK in Brighton http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/75029 or they have the US80S Soprano for a bargain £47 http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/77145 .
If you buy from outside the EU you will be stung for Import Duty and VAT and then the post office will charge you up to £13.50 for collecting it from you, the VAT is also charged on whatever you pay for postage so altogether this can add a fair amount to the purchase price so always check prices in the EU first.
There are bargains to be had, I just got an Ohana concert for £80 when the ukuleleshop.co.uk closed down and it is stunning.
Hope this all helps,
Ian.

yeh i noticed that hobgoblin had a good selection! when im home, i shall check it out properly!! (currently teaching english in italy!!)

thanks again for all the info!! cheers

Top Bottom