Hook and Loop sandpaper roll source?

redyak3

Reaction score
Hi folks, just finished a Hawley designed thickness sander. Fun to build, should work nicely. Been shopping around for the rolls, and wondered where the best prices any of you found.
Thanks,
Al

Thanks, looks to be a good source. I think I saw somewhere, probably yt, the disk diameter x PI will give you the correct cutting angle, is this correct?

Good question, never thought about it. And not going to right now - need my coffee first.

Off the top of my head, I would imagine roll width would have to come into play as that measurement will be relative to the diameter and thus affect the cut angle. Again, this is a no coffee statement. . .

Found this site:
http://www.onlineindustrialsupply.com/heduholosaro.html
Price is a little better than the Klingspor, don't know about the quality. My "shoestring budget" is constraining to say the least. The cut angle formula worked using a piece of paper off a 6" roll that I used for the steel/wood/steel bending sandwich. It doesn't look like the width of paper matters as it worked using a 4-1/2" wide piece as well.

I just ordered from Klingspor because I wanted to try their orbital sanding discs. So far, I like the quality of everything, and the price is good for me. Plus, I wanted to try their 1000 grit + orbital discs.

I decided to give Online Industrial Supply a try. Reasonable shipping was the deciding factor. Ordered a roll of 80 and 120 grit. Anxious to see how the sander works, been wanting to build one for a long time.

2.Sand.com is another good online supplier of abrasives. I've recently become a big fan of the Mirka Q.Siver disks for my RO sanders. Mirka Abranet is good too. In fact all the Mirka abrasives are the best IMO.

Came home from work today and the sandpaper was delivered, bulk rate priority. I like this company, they'll be taking care of my orders for now anyway. I wish McMaster-Carr would have this shipping policy.

I am going to suggest a better abrasive. Mika Autonet. It is an automotive mesh abrasive. Better on sever points.
The mesh design allows the belt to not heat up, so it practically does not have any issues with resinous woods.
Euro abrasive have regulations on abrasive consistency that the US does not have. Any of the better US brand abrasives may be 99% close to the indicated grit, but you will almost always have numerous particles that are larger...so your surface looks good except for the few larger divots in the woods...and you have to do more sanding to remove those...with another method of abrasion.
Lastly, the very consistent abrasive Mirka uses actually remove wood better, and leaves a surface finish that looks finer than the listed grit.
I buy rolls of the Mirka Autonet for my drum sander, and use P80 and P120. Euro abrasives use the "P" prefix on their abrasives.
The P80 removes wood like it was 60 grit, but leaves a finish like a 100 grit. The P120 removes wood faster than most 80-100 grits, but leaves a finish more like 150 grit.
The Autonet also comes in hook/loop discs.
The pricing is about the same as most belt paper. You can find it at most better wood working supply stores, or you can find it on Ebay.
By the way, I find Mirkas sheet abrasives better cutting, less clogging, and longer lasting than most US papers as well. It's all I use.

Forgot to mention....use a piece of the belt about 12" long for doing the shoe shine sanding on your neck next time your shaping.
Also, cut some of the belt up into various widths x @ 12" for fine contour sanding around a heel or headstock.

Top Bottom