Tenor ukulele plans

tcjbrown

Reaction score
My apologies as I'm aware that this has been posted several dozen times, but does anybody have access to tenor ukulele plans?
I'm aware of the plans from Hana Lima and LMI but those end up being roughly $70 Australian dollars to purchase and ship one plan, so any other suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Draw up your own. You'll learn an unbelievable amount just form that simple exercise. And while that might sound contrite, I'm in no way being so. I do this with every new design and scale length I use. And I'm damn sure that the other pro's here do the same.

All you need is the scale length, the nut width. String spacing at the saddle, and you're 1/2 way there. Tenors in round figures will be 12" long in the body and between 8 and 9 inches across the lower bout. 3" total body depth will do you. Mine are a bit less than that, but as I said. these are round figures.

If you have access to a tenor that you really like, then take some measurements off of it.

From there come back and ask questions about bracing etc. Here's your chance to dive into the deep end. And have some fun with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
if you just need a body shape, go into a music store and ask to trace a uke body. But plans give you alot of good info at quick glance.

Find a uke picture online with a full frontal shot. Down load it to a photo program (IrfanView is free and easy to use), adjust it until the distance between the nut and saddle is 17", save to a disk and have it printed out full-size. You'll have a world of info just from the dimensions. From there follow Allen's advise. You can morph it anyway you like on paper, but if you get weird about it I suggest cutting out the body shape full-size and pinning it to a wall and staring at it off and on to see if you really like it. For your first one, though, I'd just use your down loaded shape and make everything as easy on yourself as possible.

StewMac givens their tenor kit body template as a free download.

This is the template I have always used and I think it makes a good looking and sturdy tenor uke. It might be argued that it is a little "small guitar" looking and certainly a modern interpretation on the ukulele... However for the top woods I use, I think it is a bit overbraced. I've thinned the cross bracing and bridge the bridge plate with all three fan braces unlike shown in the plans. Moved the outer two fan braces in by 3/16. I also thin the fan bracing from the dimensions shown. I like to play with bracing and do other crazy things like feather the ends of the bridge plate (?!), but I am an amateur just having fun and my ukes sound pretty good if I say so myself. Of course the question is how they are going to hold up after 20 years...When it comes to bracing, the pros can give you better advice and directions I'm sure.

I really appreciate all of the advice everybody; I'll likely end up using the StewMac body as a template (as I currently have the kit and plans in my possession) and as Allen suggested I'll draft something up from there.
Thanks!

Top Bottom