Jake In Vegas!

VegasGeorge

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I went to hear Jake play last night. What an exciting event! He is not only a fabulous Ukulele player, but a very nice young man. How refreshing to find true humility, kindliness, and exceptional talent in one individual. He kept me on the edge of my seat most of the time. He played his signature Kamaka Tenor throughout the show, adding only a couple of numbers, including a rendition of Schubert's Ave Maria, played on an older, Kamaka Baritone White Label. Almost everything he played was up tempo, highly stylized, and strongly syncopated. In other words, very exciting! I came away thinking I need to take another look at the upper end of my fretboard. There seem to be some notes and chords up there that I haven't met yet.

Jake and Me.jpg

I'm glad that you had a good time. Yes, Jake is an amazing musician.

Oh Yeah, my wife and I were at the Smith Center last night also. It is a beautiful venue, only surpassed by an incredible performance by Shimabukuro. I was totally entralled for the whole performance. What an artist, composer and showman he is. Totally exceeded any of my expectations . Now I am watching the vid in a hotel in Kalispell Montana, reflecting on my decision to go see him, and smiling like the proverbial cat. Thanx to Fretie and VegasGeorge for starting the thread a while back. Gary

Darn, Huvvers, I wish I'd known you would be there. I would have made it a point to meet you. As it was, I did meet a nice couple, Gene and MaryAnn. Gene is a player in the Ukulele Club of Las Vegas, so it was great to meet him. I joined the club some time ago, but haven't been able to get to a meeting yet. My wife isn't well, and I have to stay with her in the evenings. I just don't think it would fair to drag her to a Ukulele club meeting since she doesn't play and normally needs to get to bed early.

Same here, VegasGeorge. I was going to stand up and yell, " Where is VegasGeorge",but the venue seemed to be to proper for that behavior. Lol. I was stage left, about 3 tables back. Did you happen to notice the guy video ing the opening number and then having the hostess politely ask, No photography please? Well that was me. Sorry we missed the chance to meet. Maybe sometime soon.

Top Bottom