Uku Shape Advice

Brenda Wong

Reaction score
Our music stores have very limited uku selection so I don't have the privilege of ' in person' experience.
Since I play only fingering style and tend to hold my uku up like a classical guitar. My tenor and concert are both sliding all over if I don't have a strap. I really don't like strap.
Perhaps, for those who own or had the privilege of testing various uku can tell me if this shape is ideal for me? I assume the bottom sit better than a pear shape uku on my lap?
Please note, this is just image samples of the shape. Yes you can say I am looking for an excuse to buy another uku. LOL Thanks in advance for your input.

http://www.theukulelesite.com/ukulele-market/pono-tt-4-tahitian-style-tenor-4-string.html
http://www.theukulelesite.com/romero-creations-koa-tiny-tenor.html

Those will not be any better, based on lower bout shape compared to yours. Get some thin rubber non skid shelf liner material. But a piece on your right thigh and another on your side were the uke makes contact. This will help prevent slipping. I have straps on everything including sopranos because of the issues you detail

I noticed it helps when I sit upright and use my forearm to help keep the uke in place, it stays pretty stable. Good luck in finding a comfortable and secure way to play

I think folks that wear long sleeves have that problem a lot more than those of who can wear "short sleeves." Doesn't slip from my right forearm and I usually have the most problems with my body when I wear "slippery" fabrics such as the new moisture wicking ones. Lots of folks here love their straps and find they solve the problem for them.

I was resistant to a strap for a long time, went to a thong type like Willie Nelson, then finally put a strap button in the bottom and tied the top to the headstock, because I wanted to be more comfortable and play better!

Someone should sell t-shirts with sticky lettering or a logo in the right place.
I'd buy one.

I'm a big advocate of the strap and will only play without one when testing out a potential uke to buy - the minute it's bought and paid for, that strap button gets installed! That being said though - I find the pineapple shape a lot easier to hold, sans strap, than I do the figure 8. So maybe the two that you linked might work for you. I've tried the Tiny Tenor and found it pretty easy to hold (but again, if I was going to buy one, it would get a strap button!).

The advice further upstream about short sleeves or rolling one's sleeves up is good too - seems obvious, but I have to admit it took me a few days to figure that out on my own :)

I don't have any strap buttons on my ukuleles, so I have tried the uke leash, and I really like it a lot. I feel in control and I feel that the instrument is secure. I have ordered an instrument that will have an endpin jack, so I have ordered the strap adaptor from Uke Leash. That way, my uke leash will work on my non strap button ukes, and my soon to be strap button ukulele. Keeping my right forearm bare is also very good. No long sleeves for me.

Looks like this is a very common problem among us . How does Jake keeps his uku from sliding? He used the neck strap . I notice there is a big plate clipped to the sound hole. I don't remember ever seeing it in the shop or on- line. When he lifted both hands off the uku, it did not tip over either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VX5rHDrJ6Ko

You could try one of the Mobius straps offered by UU Member http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?105531-Mobius-Strap-was-issued-U-S-Patent-No-8-975-498-today!

Those look pretty cool. Any extra effort you have to make to physically keep your uke from slip-slidin'-away will tend to make your playing less natural, and your posture will suffer as you're concentrating on something other than your playing.

It looks practical and effective but doesn't look very good. :)

I don't have any strap buttons on my ukuleles, so I have tried the uke leash, and I really like it a lot.

I've tried them too and I have to say, if you are strap-button averse, this is definitely the way to go. Lori's Uke Leash is the best of the lot!

Looks like this is a very common problem among us . How does Jake keeps his uku from sliding?

If I'm not mistaken he does use a strap now. But also keep in mind - often it's easier for men than for women! :)

Seriously though - if you look at female fingerstyle players, straps are commonly used: Brittni Paiva, Taimane Gardner. And that's about the extent of my knowledge of female fingerstyle players, so if anybody has more examples please add them here because now I'm wondering if there are any...

(ETA... I got so hung up on trying to think of other women who play fingerstyle that I went ahead and started another thread for it.)

Last edited:
The Mobius strap works great, but only on ukes that have a "waist." It has little opportunity to settle on pineapples or Flea/Fluke shaped ukes. Unless your uke has something grippy on the sides.

Top Bottom