Ukulele.....one year in and 1000 posts later

DownUpDave

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I just realized my next post was going to be #1000 so I wanted to make it worth while. I picked up the ukulele for the very first time one year ago this month and it has truely changed my life. The accompaning picture is of my corner of the kitchen table, I hang out here an awful lot now. This is a typical Sunday morning, one of my ukes in a stand, metronome, zoom recorder, bluetooth speaker, tablet, music books and binder all at the ready.

I will sit here for hours, playing, learning, listening and chatting on UU. Time just evaporates away when I am making music.:)The fact I can make music never fails to astonish me. I did not play a musical instrument in school, my family is non-musical, no one played anything. I goofed around on acoustic guitar for about 5-6 years but never got very far.

This instrument, the people and the enviroment are completely different. It is inviting, fun, helpful and healthy. I have the good fortune to attend three regular uke jams in my area. I have made a lot of new friends, my wife and I attend events and concerts much more than before, she does not play but enjoys a good time.

This site has had the biggest most helpful influence, all of you have been so nice and so giving I just wanted to say "Thank You"

Dave

20150322_115638.jpg

Last edited:
I just realized my next post was going to be #1000 so I wanted to make it worth while. I picked up the ukulele for the very first time one year ago this month and it has truely changed my life. The accompaning picture is of my corner of the kitchen table, I hang out here an awful lot now. This is a typical Sunday morning, one of my ukes in a stand, metronome, zoom recorder, bluetooth speaker, tablet, music books and binder all at the ready.

I will sit here for hours, playing, learning, listening and chatting on UU. Time just evaporates away when I am making music.:)The fact I can make music never fails to astonish me. I did not play a musical instrument in school, my family is non-musical, no one played anything. I goofed around on acoustic guitar for about 5-6 years but never got very far.

This instrument, the people and the enviroment are completely different. It is inviting, fun, helpful and healthy. I have the good fortune to attend three regular uke jams in my area. I have made a lot of new friends, my wife and I attend events and concerts much more than before, she does not play but enjoys a good time.

This site has had the biggest most helpful influence, all of you have been so nice and so giving I just wanted to say "Thank You"

Dave

View attachment 77733

Congrats on the year milestone! It's always a good thing when you can look back and see the progress & set new goals.

Congrats Dave!

Thanks for your help and insights, too!

Your little corner of the world looks mighty nice. Congratulations on a wonderful year!

I know how you feel Dave. On 2/17 I completed my first year. Can't believe the improvement in my playing. Due mostly to the information on this site. My trigger finger on my middle finger left hand has greatly improved. I saw on this site that Norwegian Cod Liver Oil Tablets helped this condition, also the hand and finger stretching exercises were a big help. I signed up for UU+, that contains a wealth of information. But most of all it has been the informative and lively discussions of things pertaining to ukulele playing and beyond by the members that has been so satisfying. Can't wait to see how the second year goes.

And I thought I was the chatty one. Congrats on the milestone and how good to hear how much enjoyment you have gotten from playing. I feel the same way. I've played guitar on and off, mainly off ,since I was 15(I'll be 70 this year) but since I picked up the uke ( about 1.5 years ago) I have had an immense amount of fun.
BTW, what is a zoom recorder?
Also, that is a dam nice Collings in that photo.
Cheers and may your enjoyment continue for many a more year.

And I thought I was the chatty one. Congrats on the milestone and how good to hear how much enjoyment you have gotten from playing. I feel the same way. I've played guitar on and off, mainly off ,since I was 15(I'll be 70 this year) but since I picked up the uke ( about 1.5 years ago) I have had an immense amount of fun.
BTW, what is a zoom recorder?
Also, that is a dam nice Collings in that photo.
Cheers and may your enjoyment continue for many a more year.

Sorry Hollis I should have been more specific. Zoom H2n portable audio recorder, they are brilliant. Very compact, easy to use and great sound, got it for a christmas present. That is another benefit to playing uke........new ideas for the family members on what to buy me Here is a picture of the box. Thanks on the compliment about the Collings.:)Another bonus of membership here........The Marketplace.......to feed UAS.

20150322_142632.jpg

Last edited:
Dave, I just wish you lived next door. Either up or down the street. Congrats. You are one of my favorites here for sure.

Happy Anniversary!

Happy uke-versary, Dave!

That uke in your picture is a real looker. Wowzers. If it sounds as good as it looks, it is surely amazing. Playable art. :)

Congratulations Dave, I always enjoy reading your posts and exchanging thoughts with you. You should get your wife to play, so much easier to justify more purchases... :)
Happy strumming!

Congratulations Dave, I always enjoy reading your posts and exchanging thoughts with you. You should get your wife to play, so much easier to justify more purchases... :)
Happy strumming!

I hate to say this but my wife is VERY non-musical, she doesn't even sing in the shower.......because she can't. But she likes shoes and clothes and purses. I encourage her to buy as much of those as she likes. That leaves me wide open for all the ukes I want, good arrangment. I do envy you and your wife's musical relationship, must be a lot of fun.

Congrats on the thousand Dave and I think a lot of us folks feel similarly about the site. Always enjoy your contributions to the threads mate and the positive vibe you bring. Cheers and here's to the next grand!

Dave, you've jumped in with both feet and reaped the rewards. Thanks for your contributions to the forum and friendship off line.

If there was a like button, I would be jumping on it.

Zoom H2n portable audio recorder, ... got it for a christmas present. That is another benefit to playing uke........new ideas for the family members on what to buy me Here is a picture of the box.
View attachment 77734
Thanks for the info on the Zoom Recorder. Great idea to put out there for my next birthday or xmas or ground hogs day present(sic). This past xmas my list was full of little stocking stuffers from Amazon like polishes and cleaners, fret polishing kits, capos, Hydrometers, etc (all things not readily available in Western Australia). As my UAS keeps me poor enough I was more than very happy with economical presents.

Accessorising is such an enjoyable adjunct to acquisition disorder.

Another option if you have an apple product is getting the Zoom IQ5, IQ6, IQ7. Better mic than the built in one imo

Top Bottom