Wanted: Jazz Box Uke

Status
Not open for further replies.

cptdean

Reaction score
Hi, gang.

I really like the look of the archtop Jazz Box Ukes. I'm most interested in the Quatro model, but anything with a violin tailpiece might do. Let me know what you've got and how much you need for it.

Thanks,
Dean

Are you talking about a Toby Chennell Jazzboxukes.com? I'm having a baritone cutaway King model being built now. With case and shipping should be around 1700 dollars. Not too bad for a custom hand carved top and bottom archtop. A few have come up for sale here.

For a real treat check out his basses and archtop guitars on http://homepage.ntlworld.com/tobias.chennell/

Are you talking about a Toby Chennell Jazzboxukes.com? I'm having a baritone cutaway King model being built now. With case and shipping should be around 1700 dollars. Not too bad for a custom hand carved top and bottom archtop. A few have come up for sale here.

For a real treat check out his basses and archtop guitars on http://homepage.ntlworld.com/tobias.chennell/

Based on this info, I'll have to withdraw my ad. I couldn't find any pricing, and was hoping they'd be a bit less expensive, especially used. Beautiful instruments, though. Thanks!

I used to have one of Toby's ukes, and it was beautiful! I can say that I spent considerably less than Patrick, but I also bought mine when Toby was really just introducing his line of ukes-- his reputation has grown considerably since then, and not surprisingly, it sounds like his prices have gone up! Good for him, he deserves it-- he is a top-notch craftsman, and I can't believe he made much money on those early ukes.

In my entire time in the uke community, I have only ever seen one or two of Toby's ukes come up on the used market. He hasn't made that many of them, and I think people are reluctant to part with them.

I worked through the Jazz Box Ukes price sheet and it seems I can get the one I want for around 900 GBP, or $1,350 USD. That's really not so bad. My wife and I are planning a trip to London in December, and I've convinced her to take a side trip to Bournemouth to pick it up. Now all I have to do is raise a little more cash and get it commissioned.

Thanks, everyone.

I worked through the Jazz Box Ukes price sheet and it seems I can get the one I want for around 900 GBP, or $1,350 USD. That's really not so bad. My wife and I are planning a trip to London in December, and I've convinced her to take a side trip to Bournemouth to pick it up. Now all I have to do is raise a little more cash and get it commissioned.

Thanks, everyone.

I love a story that ends with someone who isn't me spending money!

The work Toby is doing now is genuinely unique. There aren't a lot of carved archtop ukes out there, and I've never seen any like Toby's.

Thanks, everyone.

You might want to drop Toby a line, as I fear your timescale may be ambitious. I'm having a Jazz Box sop made later in the year, and my understanding is that waiting time can be anything well over 12 months from confirming the commission...

However, he is the nicest guy, and his instruments are beyond beautiful. So congratulations on wanting something so great! I am very excited at the prospect of finally getting mine in September.

Ben

I emailed him this morning and told him our plans. Still need to make sure I can afford it, though.

Wow. 12months wait list now. He's getting more and more popular. Mine should be ready in a couple of weeks, fingers crossed. I ordered mine with a pickguard to bring the soundboard height up closer like a regular flat top.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom