Gratifying moments.

KohanMike

Los Angeles, Beverly Grove West
UU VIP
Reaction score
I had a very gratifying moment a few weeks ago. I've been playing uke a little over 18 months, joined UU about a month after starting, as well as a local group that meets twice a week, The CC Strummers. The moment came from my nephew, Rich, a very accomplished musician and guitarist (my twin brother's younger son. I would like to think that I had some influence on his music career since I played guitar around him all through his upbringing. He has certainly surpassed me by leaps and bounds, majoring in music at UCLA and The New School in New York and now doing very well composing music for TV shows, movies and trailers.)

When I first started the uke, I played for the family a couple of times, not very well in my opinion, and with life in control, have not done so in months. A few weeks ago, sitting around my brother's apartment downstairs from me, Rich and his pregnant wife came in (she since gave birth to a beautiful girl, Scarlet). I wanted to show Rich my new custom ukulele, so we went upstairs and I pulled out my glossy black mandolele and strummed a few chords. His immediate reaction was, "Hey, you're getting really good."

I have to say, it made me feel great. I've always had an insecurity streak, especially when getting up in front of people, but that comment made a big impact on me, so much so, that I committed myself to playing the bass for an upcoming CC Strummers gig by myself, we normally have two bass players, and really bear down and learn the music. It's great when a few words kind can have a lot of influence.

Last edited:
It's always been interesting to me that I often need the validation of others before I can proceed to bear down.

I fully admire those who find their own approval to be enough. I have a ways to go.

Must be nice to have a musical family. My one big regret here is that I did not get a musical upbringing and so waited until I was over 60 to begin. Such is life.

A little encouragement can make a big difference. We should all do it for one another more often. Glad your professional-musician nephew gave you some well deserved kudos.

Thanks Jenny. I always encourage him when he gets a little self-conscious. He actually mentioned to me a couple days ago that we should jam together sometime.

Top Bottom