Ukulele builders top / back plate jointing tool (UK only)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wildestcat

Reaction score
For Sale: Ukulele builders top plate / back plate jointing tool. This is a copy of the tool used by Pete Howlett at the time I attended one of his building courses a few years ago. It is based on an inverted Record No 6 plane mounted on two nylon columns and fitted with a full length extruded aluminium fence.
In use, the plate halves are registered against the fence and passed across the plane blade.
Pete assisted with fine tuning after I had constructed it, and demonstrated that he could achieve a light-tight back joint in a few passes.

I, on the other hand, have never quite achieved those heights, and have drifted back into using the same method I use for guitars - a shooting board usually followed by abrasive paper on a spirit level.

The plane has a short crack from the corner of the mouth on the unused side, which does not affect the performance. With two holes in the sole and nowhere for the front knob, the plane is not re-usable in its original form.

I could do with freeing off the space in my workshop, so it is offered for sale at £32.50 inclusive of delivery anywhere in mainland UK.
P1070323.jpgP1070325.jpgP1070326.jpgP1070327.jpgP1070328.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom