professional female instrumental/fingerstyle players?

janeray1940

Reaction score
Okay guys and gals, please help me out here - when I think of women who play fingerstyle ukulele, I can think of a grand total of two: Brittni, and Taimane.

Got any others to add to my list? No singers or singer-songwriters please - those are plentiful and well-known. I'm interested in instrumental or mainly-instrumental players only.

Looking forward to learning something new! :)

ETA: added for clarification - I'm looking for contemporary, current, preferably gigging and recording examples, if possible. Thanks!

And to further clarify - the reason I'm looking for examples is not a gender debate, but simply because I would like to see what sort of strap setup they use, if any, and how they hold their uke when performing. And if I discover some new music while I'm at it - bonus!

Last edited:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48E4sS8K-bM

I don't know if she only plays covers but she's great at such a young age.

Below is from her video.
Aloha. My name is Sydney from Thailand. I became the FIRST KoAloha's supported artist in Thailand when I was 10 years old. I play KoAloha ukulele exclusively.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48E4sS8K-bM

I don't know if she only plays covers but she's great at such a young age.

Below is from her video.
Aloha. My name is Sydney from Thailand. I became the FIRST KoAloha's supported artist in Thailand when I was 10 years old. I play KoAloha ukulele exclusively.

Wow, thanks for that - she is awesome :)

(And for the purposes of my question - covers only is perfectly fine, as long as they are instrumentals.)

Fellow UU sister Sammu (Samantha Muir) is a professional classical guitarist who is also a very accomplished ukulele player and plays lots of classical pieces on ukulele. She has linked many of her videos here. I am not sure if her mainstay has migrated to, or includes ukulele.

Her videos are always very inspiring to me.

Her web site: http://www.samanthamuir.com/

Her youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/sammu5/videos

(when I think of others, I only have Victoria Vox, Sophie Madeline, and Danielle Ate The Sandwich - but they are not quite what you are asking for)

Sorry I can't think of any others at the moment.

EDIT - to include Marcy Marxer, and Cathy Fink. Cathy Fink plays a really awesome claw-hammer style, and there are probaby MORE Marcy Marxer videos on youtube than any other female ukulele player, or female banjo player.

Last edited:
Del Rey is the best I've ever seen or heard. Has a couple Homespun instructional DVDs as well.

Wow - I had no idea. I'd heard her name before but thought she was mainly a singer so never investigated any further.

Okay guys and gals, please help me out here - when I think of women who play fingerstyle ukulele, I can think of a grand total of two: Brittni, and Taimane.

Got any others to add to my list? No singers or singer-songwriters please - those are plentiful and well-known. I'm interested in instrumental or mainly-instrumental players only.

Looking forward to learning something new! :)

How about Del Ray, Marci Marxer, and Cathy Fink? Yes, Marci and Cathy sing, but they are great players - and Marci took lessons from Roy Smeck when she was a teenager.

And Del Ray does just about everything.

-Kurt​

Fellow UU sister Sammu (Samantha Muir) is a professional classical guitarist who is also a very accomplished ukulele player and plays lots of classical pieces on ukulele. She has linked many of her videos here. I am not sure if her mainstay has migrated to, or includes ukulele.

Her videos are always very inspiring to me.

Her web site: http://www.samanthamuir.com/

Her youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/sammu5/videos

(when I think of others, I only have Victoria Vox, Sophie Madeline, and Danielle Ate The Sandwich - but they are not quite what you are asking for)

Sorry I can't think of any others at the moment.

EDIT - to include Marcy Marxer, and Cathy Fink. Cathy Fink plays a really awesome claw-hammer style, and there are probaby MORE Marcy Marxer videos on youtube than any other female ukulele player, or female banjo player.

How about Del Ray, Marci Marxer, and Cathy Fink? Yes, Marci and Cathy sing, but they are great players - and Marci took lessons from Roy Smeck when she was a teenager.

And Del Ray does just about everything.
-Kurt​

Didn't know that about Cathy Fink/Marcy Marxer either. So far the responses are making me wonder why their names don't come up with the frequency of the others I mentioned upstream, and the former Marxist-feminist-historian-scholar in me can't help but want to scream ageism...

And yes Booli, VV, SM, Danielle etc are among the first names I thought of as well... Sarah Maisel too, and I could probably think of a few more pretty easily. But it did strike me as odd that I could only think of two who do instrumentals.

Zahra Lowzley. Honoka and Azita.

Nice, thanks! I wasn't familiar with any of these.

Sarah Maisel is a great player, singer, and teacher. Plus she's a wonderful person!

Sarah Maisel is a great player, singer, and teacher. Plus she's a wonderful person!

Ha, our posts must have crossed at the same time. I know Sarah and agree with all of the above, but if I remember correctly her recordings are heavy on the vocals. She's got the chops though, that's for sure!

I can think of a few more great female soloists, all of whom have YouTube channels. Some do mostly covers.

UkuLise:

Thanks Natalie - all great but I especially enjoyed MissionUke.

And, side note - I'm puzzling over how she manages to hold her ukes without a strap - a thread addressing straps is what got me to looking for female solo players in the first place, and the vast majority (myself included) appear to use straps (and hold the uke on the low side, as in the first two vids you posted).

Don't know if they're professional, but here are a few more from YouTube.

Lami Jeon -

Top Bottom