Straps

Freeda

Reaction score
Talk to me about your favorite uke strap. Pics encouraged. Links to sellers are nice too!

Ooh, favorite subject of mine. I've gone from being strap-averse, to thin mandolin straps, to uke-specific straps, and am now devoted to 2" guitar straps (yep, even on my little sopranos). My current favorite is Legacy Straps - made in USA, 100% cotton, vegan, and offers all sorts of customizable options. My favorite, though, doesn't appear to be on their website - I get them here on Amazon.

Before discovering those, I ordered a few from Feedback Straps - also made in USA, also customizable. These are pretty much works of art; they are just GORGEOUS but I found there was a downside to them for clumsy girls like myself: the metal hardware seems like it could easily chip or scratch the uke's finish - I had a few close calls. Plus, with the metal hardware and the leather trim, are also a bit heavier than the Legacy straps, and with all the uke stuff I find myself hauling around, this is a very real consideration.

Both Legacy and Feedback are just awesome to deal with. Super friendly, fast turnaround - these days, this kind of customer service is a rarity and I think it's worth supporting.

So yeah, I've made a bit of a study of it over the years - as with the buying of ukes themselves, it just never seems to end :)

Last edited:
In one of Jake's interviews he said he made the strap with the plate himself...

All my tenors have pickups and strap pins so I've had some custom straps made up by Italia Straps (http://italiastraps.com/guitar-strap-how-to.html ).
Italia Strap.jpg
I had them make me up 1 inch wide straps of a particular length. I had a few of their 2.5 inch wide ones for my guitar. They are made from beautiful soft leather. Their guitar straps have a wide section (either 2.5 or 4 inches wide) and a 1 inch wide section. You can see what I mean from the attached photo.

I waited until they had one of their regular 2 for 1 deals (get on their mailing list and they tell you when they are having those sales) and ordered what I wanted. Not cheap but you get real quality.

I also have a leash and mobius strap for my DaSilva Martin 3K replica as I didn't want to add any strap buttons or pins to that instrument.

I like 1" straps for my tenor ukes, with 2 strap buttons. I used to use 3/4" mandolin straps, but after a while I found that they twisted around too much, the 1" don't.

I use a suitable length of decorative 1/4" diameter cord from a local haberdashery. It's available in several colours, I like the red one :)

I splice a loop at one end for the strap button. The other end is whipped to stop it fraying, then passed under the strings between the machine heads, then looped back and fastened to itself with a small buckle or other adjustment device.

Costs pennies, takes but a few minutes, fits me exactly ;)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h6scqp3b6vttiuu/ukes.jpg?dl=0

Last edited:
Lately I purchased a small old little banjolele reported to be from the 20's that's a bother to hold and play even while seated. Not wanting to spend $$$ unless I'm using something period specific like old suspenders or some such thing I realized I have a few webbed belts that come free on the Wrangler cargo pants I wear. These belts are worthless as belts but are free strong black nylon webbed straps.

I plan on using either plastic or rubber coated clips. It seems common on a banjo to use metal clips or some black rawhide to tie the strap to the pot.

I play sitting or lounging back in my chair mostly. Otherwise should I ever need a strap I think I'll be working out something like Uncle Raggys neck leash.

Sherrin's Threads ("ST") - pretty enough and don't break the bank. I have one of the 'peacock' design:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/154489500/peacock-feather-ukulele-strap-1-wide?ref=shop_home_active_13
and one that she evidently doesn't sell anymore, which is a dark blue starry sky with gold stars

I love this one, but I'm not paying $65 for a STRAP!
http://www.artfire.com/ext/shop/pro..._red_purple/handmade/music_instruments/string

Another vote for "Sherrins Threads" , I currently own 4 of them. I have the 1" model in different patterns, she also makes a 1-1/2" model in numerous colours and patterns. Quality product at a fair price, good soft leather ends with plastic non-scratch hardware.

Lately I purchased a small old little banjolele reported to be from the 20's that's a bother to hold and play even while seated. Not wanting to spend $$$ unless I'm using something period specific like old suspenders or some such thing I realized I have a few webbed belts that come free on the Wrangler cargo pants I wear. These belts are worthless as belts but are free strong black nylon webbed straps.

I plan on using either plastic or rubber coated clips. It seems common on a banjo to use metal clips or some black rawhide to tie the strap to the pot.

I play sitting or lounging back in my chair mostly. Otherwise should I ever need a strap I think I'll be working out something like Uncle Raggys neck leash.

Depending on the design of the pot (and the length and width of the strap), it's also possible to feed the strap behind the hooks, all the way around the pot itself, thereby not supporting the weight of the instrument just on one or two hooks. I use this arrangement on my 5-string banjo, but my banjolele utilises a length of decorative cord from the tailpiece to the headstock, so no strain on any of the tension hooks ... maybe I underate the strength of those hooks :confused:

+1 for the Neotech strap. I also use a Uke Leash Guitar Style Strap that works very well.

I have found a ton of great deals on Amazon and the one critical thing now for me is that it be a guitar width strap. Guitar straps are awesome on ukes.

For my Risa Les Paul electric which is black and white and chrome I got a black strap with red flames for about $10 and it's a great strap.

Last edited:
I have found a ton of great deals on Amazon and the one critical thing now for me is that it be a guitar width strap. Guitar straps are awesome on ukes.

That's what I've concluded too - for maximum stability, I like the 2" straps best, which I think are a pretty standard guitar width. Only problem is that most are too long for me since I'm short, so I go with kids' sizes or ask for a custom length.

Yes the 2 inch is perfect. Lots more styles to choose from then commercial uke straps which are pretty lame mostly.

Top Bottom