Tracking my new Nano Uke from the UK

Olarte

Reaction score
I'm tracking the first Nano Uke from Andy Miles in the UK.

It is now in New York and should be in my hands by Thursday

Thanks to Andy I'm the first USA customer. And I had first pick of his latest batch. He now has about a 12 month waiting list.

The nano is about a 3rd the size of a Sopranino!

Here are pics of it from Andy

image.jpg

Mine is the one in the middle.

image.jpg

What a unique instrument! Hope you enjoy it.
You must have small fingers. I have trouble with my regular size DaSilva Soprano with my pudgy fingers.

Wow. I'd never heard of that. When I saw the pics, I thought surely you couldn't really make much music with something that tiny..but then I did a youtube search and saw this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCQvJjtZyhM

I have to say, that must take quite a bit of skill and practice to even come close to hitting notes cleanly on something that small.
Just out of curiosity, what do these sell for?

We'll see I actually have a big spread after studying classical guitar for 6 years.

If you look at my youtube, you can see me doing a demo of an iuke with a capo on the 5th fret if I remember.

I'm looking forward to the challenge of playing the nano. In this case what you need is not a large hand spread but finger independence so you can get the other fingers out of the way...

Andy has a list of something like 20 in the works. He is charging around 110£ Plus another 20 shipping to the U.S. reasonable if you ask me. Unfortunately he's got at least a years worth of work ahead of him, specially since this is just a part time hobby.

I'll keep you all posted once I get it. Unfortunately I just broke my thumb and index nails in such a way that I had to cut them down to the flesh and am patiently waiting to get even just a bit enough to play with.

I'm not much on the use of the word cute, but I cant think of another word to describe those!

Congrats and enjoy!

Oh cool. I'm checking out your video playing a Kala pocket capo'd on 6.
The one I'm watching: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r99vkruiJu8
Nice!

It sounds like he's doing quite well for himself with that long of a wait. Good on him.
I think a standard soprano scale is the smallest I would want personally. I do find these nano ukes fascinating though.

Thanks yes it certainly is an aquired taste. But I like the challenge of being able to play from classical guitar down to sopraninos, and soon a nano... Of course sopraninos and nanos won't be usable for complicated songs up the fretboard but at least the sopraninos work quite well with the aquilas 94u piccolo strings which are tuned one octave higher...

Oh cool. I'm checking out your video playing a Kala pocket capo'd on 6.
The one I'm watching: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r99vkruiJu8
Nice!

It sounds like he's doing quite well for himself with that long of a wait. Good on him.
I think a standard soprano scale is the smallest I would want personally. I do find these nano ukes fascinating though.

Wow. So is this and the iUke the smallest uke available? Seems like one may as well go this route if they are looking at pocket or sopranino ukes. At least I might.

Yes this is indeed the smallest Uke available and about a 3rd the size of a pocket or iuke.

It's an acquired taste and a challenge to play but it is superb. Check out the NuD thread I mentioned for more details HERE

And like any great Uke be prepared for a long wait Andy Miles has a build list of about 18 of them. I was lucky to be he first in his new batch and US customer.

Wow. So is this and the iUke the smallest uke available? Seems like one may as well go this route if they are looking at pocket or sopranino ukes. At least I might.

Last edited:
I can't thank Ivan enough for his kind words, he is the ideal first international customer. I originally made myself a Nano uke after seeing a Tiny Tangi and wondering if I could make one.One followed for a friend and then Ben Rouse(a well known amazing uke player over here in England) saw it and asked me to make one for him.He posted a couple of videos and it's been crazy since then with people asking if I can make one for them.
I don't claim them to be the world's smallest playable ukes,they are half the size of a soprano like the Tiny Tangi but I build mine with a wider neck to make them a little easier to play.

Hi Andy, good to see you here on UU. You are being much too modest, the Nano is superb.

You should head over to this thread HERE where it's being discussed. And Thanks for "seeing if you could make one like the Tangi" You Certainly did! :bowdown::shaka:

Ivan

I can't thank Ivan enough for his kind words, he is the ideal first international customer. I originally made myself a Nano uke after seeing a Tiny Tangi and wondering if I could make one.One followed for a friend and then Ben Rouse(a well known amazing uke player over here in England) saw it and asked me to make one for him.He posted a couple of videos and it's been crazy since then with people asking if I can make one for them.
I don't claim them to be the world's smallest playable ukes,they are half the size of a soprano like the Tiny Tangi but I build mine with a wider neck to make them a little easier to play.

Top Bottom