string tension

chuck in ny

Reaction score
i've heard it said ponos are high tension ukuleles. wouldn't the string tension be almost identical from brand to brand, as specific levels of tension would translate to specific pitches? this would be at a given scale length as different scales generate different tensions. do pono ukes have higher tension, at the same pitch?

You're absolutely right. Same scale length + same pitch (assuming same strings) = same tension.

Strings are high tension or low, not the uke.
That being said, some ukes sound better with certain strings, some of which are higher or lower tension.

Most uke players on UU seem to prefer high tension strings. When there's a choice, I go with standard tension.

It is my understanding that string tension is also affected by how "steep" the break is from the bridge to the saddle, where the string hits. Steeper the break, greater the tension. If you were to lower the saddle, it will reduce the break, reduce tension and possibly reduce tone. Someone please enlighten me if this is incorrect ... this is my understanding. So ... IF this is true, some ukes may sound better with higher tension strings. On ukes with steep breaks, you can likely achieve excellent tone with lower tension strings, because the break is adding to the tension .... so yes, the particular uke does affect whether you want high or low tension strings. I have one that has a rather "flat" break ... about to try high tension on her to see if the tone (which is already quite good) can be improved.

Last edited:
I don't think that's correct.

The break angle doesn't affect the tension of the string.
String physics have no variable for break angle.
There's only propagation speed, frequency, tension, length, and density.

The break angle affects the force vector as the vibration is translated from the string through the saddle, but since that angle is the same until you change the saddle height, or maybe the profile, it would be a constant for any string you use.

It is my understanding that string tension is also affected by how "steep" the break is from the bridge to the saddle, where the string hits. Steeper the break, greater the tension. If you were to lower the saddle, it will reduce the break, reduce tension and possibly reduce tone. Someone please enlighten me if this is incorrect ... this is my understanding. So ... IF this is true, some ukes may sound better with higher tension strings. On ukes with steep breaks, you can likely achieve excellent tone with lower tension strings, because the break is adding to the tension .... so yes, the particular uke does affect whether you want high or low tension strings. I have one that has a rather "flat" break ... about to try high tension on her to see if the tone (which is already quite good) can be improved.

Changing the break angle may increase the down-pressure on the top, but the tension will be the same. Increase in the down-pressure will effect tone, as you say, but if the tension is higher, the pitch will be, too.

Two things going on here, actually three things.

Different makes of strings will have different tension under finger. I am a string changing junky and on a tenor PhD strings feel much looser than say Worth Browns.

Pono are a large bodied uke that seems to respond better with higher tension strings. Helps to drive the sound board and create more volume.

The stock Ko'olah strings that Ponos come with are on the high tension side so that leads people to say "Ponos are high tension or like high tension strings. We have had South Coast mediums on a Pono with good results and they are NOT a high tension string. So go with what you like, a little experimenting goes a long way

Top Bottom