Uke strings

Rod Searle

Reaction score
Just checking if anyone has Living Water strings on their concert ukulele
and your opinion on them.

I ordered a set last week, and I'll try to update this thread when they arrive. I plan to put them on a Mele Mahogany Concert.

Yes, I do, on my el cheapo Eddy Finn. They're terrific. They feel a little tighter than the comparable Martins (higher tension?), but they really take a beating and sound great. The EF was just a blah beater until I put the Living Waters on it, and now I play it about as much as I do any in my rotation.

Yes, I do, on my el cheapo Eddy Finn. They're terrific. They feel a little tighter than the comparable Martins (higher tension?), but they really take a beating and sound great. The EF was just a blah beater until I put the Living Waters on it, and now I play it about as much as I do any in my rotation.

I just check my inventory to see what strings come on an EF 5C. You are right that what comes on it does not make even bare minimum standards. I will put on a set of Aquila white and raise the price to $70.00 instead of 65.

Something which makes a ukulele sound better is to mount the strings through the body rather than tie to the tail end of the bridge. When I have a custom built for me, I request it. I have done it to many of the production instruments in my HEARD.

Last edited:
Just checking if anyone has Living Water strings on their concert ukulele
and your opinion on them.

I have a high g set on my Clara. These are superb strings, quick to stabilize, well balanced, and they stay in tune for a long time.

I like Martins better myself, I think they're just a bit brighter and punchier, and less than half the price. Several people in our club just love Living Waters on their Tenors, though...

From what I know now I'd say that's a hard way to pick strings. Each makers concert uke is going to sound differently and different strings will be required for them most likely to sound their best.

In other words just because it sounds great on someone else's uke does not mean they will sound as good on yours.

From what I know now I'd say that's a hard way to pick strings. Each makers concert uke is going to sound differently and different strings will be required for them most likely to sound their best.

In other words just because it sounds great on someone else's uke does not mean they will sound as good on yours.

There's truth to this but not to the point where you shouldn't take into account the experience of others as a starting point.

I ordered a set last week, and I'll try to update this thread when they arrive. I plan to put them on a Mele Mahogany Concert.

I've had Living Waters strings on my Mele Mahogany Concert since Good Friday (4/3) and can offer a short review.

The Mele came to me in March with some nondescript black strings installed. They played a bit sharp as you went up the neck, and sounded "thin". Low volume and little character.

I installed an Aquila Lava set and there was an immediate improvement. The Mele played more in tune, but not perfect. The tone had more volume and character, but was very mellow. Comparing to a Kala Traveler concert (Aquila Nylaguts) my wife preferred the Kala's tone when listening from another room. I liked the Mele.

Enter the Living Waters. Installed on the Mele they are brighter, seem to be slightly louder, and the instrument's sound has more of the solid wood character that we crave. Intonation is good, perhaps slightly better than the Lava set though no quantitative measurements were taken with either string set. A more accomplished ukulele playing friend had played my Mele with the Lava's and thought the sound was not up to the price point for Mele's. Monday he tried the Mele again with the Living Waters and thought that there was a noticeable improvement in the tone. I agree.

Full disclosure - the friend mentioned above and I ordered LW's together, saving on shipping. He had not installed his sets yet, making me the early adopter.

These are the only strings I've tried on my Mele. Once I've had a chance to compare to Oasis Brights and Aquila Reds I plan to post a more complete review of this Mele and the strings in play.

LW's are becoming my string of choice.
Currently on my Clara low g, DaSilva tenor high g, Gibson soprano high g, baritone low d.
Also put low g on my girl friends new Blackbird tenor.
All with great results.

Top Bottom