Uke finish.

I like a gloss until I don't. I have an Alulu Acacia that has the most gorgeous pattern in the wood but the high gloss finish makes it look a little like plastic. I don't like it but on most ukes a well laid down high gloss is most appealing. Having said that I find satin finishes lovely most of the time also and it's a great way to knock off one or two hundred bucks off the price. Just as long as you don't mind the dings and scratches that satin seems to be heir to.

I have a satin makala pineapple which I have polished and it has come up like a mellow antique gloss. Looks really nice.

I do prefer a gloss uke I must admit.

aman

I think it depends on the wood, i think.
The 3d grains, or grains that have high contrast lose depth/contrast on satin/matte, and just look better in gloss.
Then again something non-figured like sapele.. doesn't gain anything from the gloss.

From a sound perspective.. people say satin/matte sounds better.
But then like.. MB's and the vast majority of the amazing customs are all high gloss... so I think the way the gloss is applied is more important than the gloss vs matte/satin.

Prefer the look of gloss myself.

I like it when the maker puts their best finish on it and doesn't make me choose.

Personal preference. It's the thickness of the finish rather than gloss or satin that impacts sound. I have developed a real liking for the rich antique looking low gloss finish I get by polishing satin finished ukes.

Personal preference. It's the thickness of the finish rather than gloss or satin that impacts sound. I have developed a real liking for the rich antique looking low gloss finish I get by polishing satin finished ukes.

Me, too. I've polished 3 ukes with Turtle Wax brand "premium grade rubbing compound" (T-415) and really think your description (rich antique looking low gloss finish) is right on -- and I really like it. The stuff took the haze off an old Accord headlight, too!

Phil, Dick - Not to hijack the thread, but how do you polish your satin ukes? Just rub the compound into the body of the uke, I suppose.

I prefer the look of gloss. I assume gloss provides extra protection too. But a nice satin finish is fine too, especially with a good piece of wood. Given the extra cost of gloss, usually I choose satin...

Last edited:
While understanding that a hand rubbed oil finish (e.g. Mya Moe oil finish) is much easier to repair/maintain, I like gloss for high contrast or deep coloured woods(e.g. Cocobolo).

Gloss is more blingy, satin is more open as far as sound. What van said...

That being said, I own a satin Kanile'a and love it, but the look of my friend's gloss Kanile'a is inspiring...

Phil, Dick - Not to hijack the thread, but how do you polish your satin ukes? Just rub the compound into the body of the uke, I suppose.

I prefer the look of gloss. I assume gloss provides extra protection too. But a nice satin finish is fine too, especially with a good piece of wood. Given the extra cost of gloss, usually I choose satin...

I just use a piece of old t-shirt material and "spit shine" the sucker and buff it with a microfiber dish cloth I got at the dollar store. Gloss finishes are often just "buffed out" satin ones and end up actually "thinner" than the satin finish, therefore = better sound. Kanilea's new thin satin finish may be one of the exceptions. You can stop anywhere along the line when you get the "gloss" you like, or keep going. I like Stewmac's swirl remover. As a side note, I am polishing a Makai soprano pineapple and it started to look a little "muddy" and hard to wipe off. I gave it a quick going over with 0000 steel wool...problem solved. Proceeded with the compound and quickly achieved a nice gloss.

My two satins have beautiful grains on the top and body, so I love them both in look and sound.

My gloss has a cedar top with rosewood body and I feel the gloss helps protect the softer cedar, while still looking pretty. The gloss on the rosewood is gorgeous. I also love the sound of this uke.

I guess it is a win/win for what I have.

... the high gloss finish makes it look a little like plastic... Just as long as you don't mind the dings and scratches that satin seems to be heir to.

With you on both those thoughts. I had a gloss Ko'Aloha and to my sensabilities, it made it look kind of cheap & plasticky, but it certainly didn't seem to pick up as many scratches as my satin uke. Oddly I don't mind the gloss on my cedar top Ohta San, I rather like it.

... I own a satin Kanile'a and love it, but the look of my friend's gloss Kanile'a is inspiring...

I am vacillating myself about this. No doubting the gorgeous wood looks better with gloss, but there's something nice about the satin. I wish there was something in between, like a semi-gloss. I know Kanile'a have 'silk' now, but it doesn't look like the in between effect I'd like.

kanilea is remarkable for gloss finish. i don't think joe picked finishes by random process. if i have this correct they use a polyester finish that is UV cured.
quality in finishes, as in gemstones, is determined by hardness. a lot of gloss finishes are build ups of fairly soft, gummy resins. polyester is very hard. you would imagine the hard finish would react better with vibration transmission and soft finish would act as a damper.

Top Bottom