Interesting video

Timbuck

Reaction score
The video didn't teach me anything new. Every successful businessman has learned how to make money from human nature because human nature is mostly predictable. Very few players have the personal strength to stand up to a jam full of musicians who make fun of his instrument. They will either stop attending jams or buy an instrument that the crowd approves of. Its very hard to say, "Screw you guys, what I have is good enough."

If you think about it, human history has mostly been about the pursuit of comfort. Royalty and the clergy first attained comfort, then the merchant class, and then in developed countries comfort trickled down to just about everyone. But once you are comfortable the pursuit is distorted into a desire for luxury. Life is good once you are comfortable, but luxury lets everyone else see how comfortable you really are. It becomes a race from which only strength of character can spare us. Thus, an $8000 electric guitar MUST be better than a $400 instrument. Sorry, but no. The expensive one is only more luxurious.

A young friend of mine went to see a blues musician who was playing a Jeff Traugot guitar. He told me, "There's something so wrong about playing the blues on a $20,000 guitar." If he can keep thinking like that he'll have a comfortable, worry-free life.

A young friend of mine went to see a blues musician who was playing a Jeff Traugot guitar. He told me, "There's something so wrong about playing the blues on a $20,000 guitar." If he can keep thinking like that he'll have a comfortable, worry-free life.
I felt the same feeling when I saw Jerry Lee Lewis at Sheffield City Hall playing Great balls of fire on the Steinway grand piano.

Wow....now that's an angry rant. Wish I could get that 44 minutes back.
Here's a summary to save other people some time:

1. Nobody knows how to build a guitar except this guy (Actually...it is only I who really knows how to build a guitar :rolleyes:)
2. Guitar companies try to make money selling guitars. (I'm shocked...shocked to hear this!!)
3. People will pay a lot extra for reputation, image, exclusivity, and snob appeal. (Quite a revelation)
4. Most buyers can't tell good from great instruments. (Same applies to every other product on the planet. Refer to point 3)
5. Its all an evil Republican plot by Bain Capital (Well...he does live in California. :nana: Points 2-4 didn't apply before Guitar Center existed)

Despite the truth behind much of what he says, the sexist opening shot of the girl on the sofa says it all... offensive!

He is lecturing to mostly teenage boys after all. Maybe a little cheesecake in your videos would bring in the big orders :drool:

Using any form of gratuitous sexual imagery, no matter how mild, to sell a product is contrary to my beliefs and philosophy. It's not about 'me' (as much of his presentation is about 'him') but about the work... so I'll skip the advice this time :)

Top Bottom