Man dismembers uke to make 948 popsicle sticks

Jeffelele

Reaction score
So I found this article and I don't know what to say about it. Maybe raises interesting legal ground. I don't know. Maybe it's some kind of social commentary type thing. At least it's short.

Man Dismembers Ukulele to Make 948 Popsicle Sticks

Sitting in his living room on a warm autumn day Mr. Carl C. Jenks of Brooklyn, New York, spoke of his passion for re-creating famous landmarks from variously sized popsicle sticks.
"This is such a quiet little hobby. How did I end up in this mess?" he said referring to the angry picketers outside his modest home.

He had apparently stirred the wrath of fanatical ukulele players and collectors with his decision to dismember a ukulele to create 948 popsicle sticks.

"I just wanted to make a one foot high model of the Washington Monument," he said. "My regular popsicle stick supplier was on vacation and I was desperate."

Mr. Jenks sees his experience as a cautionary tale for others. "It all started with an orange and cream popsicle. I saved the stick because I thought it was kind of cool having this neat little piece of wood in the middle of my treat. I threw it into the cigar box that I kept stuff in. Didn't think of it any further but a few weeks later I had a Fudgsicle and remembered the stick in the cigar box. It seems kind of silly but I thought the first one might like a little company. Anyway, seeing the two of them together seemed so right and just like that I started down the path of Popsicle Stick Acquisition Syndrome (PSAS)."

Some have applauded his creativity while others speak menacingly of "that obscenity taking up space between his ears".

"It's unnatural I tell you. Ukuleles are not supposed to become popsicle sticks. There ought to be a law!" said one of the picketers who carried a sign saying "Unnatural Acts Take Place In This House!"

I didn't do anything wrong! It's my God-given right to do whatever I want with my own ukulele. It's in the Constitution!" said Mr. Jenks.

"It's not in the Constitution!" said one of the picketers. "There are limits to what you can do with a ukulele even if it's yours! You can't build a fire in a theater with the ukulele! You can't beat someone around the head with your ukulele. There are limits and this guy passed them."

"I can't help myself" said Mr. Jenks.

Looks like something from The Onion... Just tongue-in-cheek social commentary.

Some of those sticks will be curvy and misshapen.

Last edited:
Is it April 1st yet?

Does a laminate uke form the basis for a less than optimally perceived Popsicle stick?

Does a laminate uke form the basis for a less than optimally perceived Popsicle stick?

This formed the basis of a rather nasty fight in a popsicle forum. Three people received bans of varying lengths.
The controversy swiftly cooled down when it became apparent that no one had ever seen a laminated popsicle stick.

Jeff

This formed the basis of a rather nasty fight in a popsicle forum. Three people received bans of varying lengths.
The controversy swiftly cooled down when it became apparent that no one had ever seen a laminated popsicle stick.

Jeff

And in contrast, there was little to no controversy in the ukulele forums about laminates being made into popsicle sticks.

I don't beleive this story. 948 seems like too high a number.

I don't beleive this story. 948 seems like too high a number.

Disclaimer: The exact number of popsicle sticks that can be made from a ukulele will vary with the size of the ukulele and of the popsicle sticks. No claim is made for accuracy.

Research was conducted in a live field test witnessing the dismemberment of a ukulele, however the witness, who wishes to remain anonymous, became nauseous and passed out before the test was completed. Further research is not contemplated at this time.

Top Bottom