PDA

View Full Version : So I can't chicken out

DownUpDave
03-25-2015, 01:11 PM
I had started a thread a few days ago about my one year anniversary with the ukulele. I appreciate all the well wishes and kind words, it was very nice. As I stated making music is new to me as I am not a trained musician of other instruments.

I am making my virigin solo performance on stage tonight at our uke jam. There are usually 60 - 80 people in attendance so even with a friendly crowd it is still intimidating.

I am posting this so I don't chicken out between now and 8:00 pm tonight. Figured if I made it public I could not back out.

Excuse me while I go throw up :p

Down Up Dick
03-25-2015, 01:14 PM
Good for you, DUD1! Get down! Break a leg! :old:

Debby
03-25-2015, 01:17 PM
Just relax, don't forget to breathe. Remember that you are there to have fun. If you happen to make a mistake, it's ok, just keep going. Good luck!!! You should have someone record the performance so that you can watch it. Then, post it, on YouTube, so we can all enjoy it. :)

Photojosh
03-25-2015, 01:18 PM
Kudos to you!

deschutestrout
03-25-2015, 01:31 PM
Awesome! You'll do great. And a key thing to remember when you're playing live is: you hear/know of mistakes that are totally transparent to the listeners. They're gonna dig it!

Hippie Dribble
03-25-2015, 01:51 PM
Enjoy the ride brother. They gon' love you. :)

DownUpDave
03-25-2015, 02:01 PM
Thanks everone you have been a huge help. Got my ukulele and I am heading out the door.

Ukulele Eddie
03-25-2015, 02:41 PM
With a similar lack of musical background, I can completely identify with you. I did an open mic at a uke festival and was shaking like crazy. I knew people would be encouraging/supportive, but was still crazy nervous (irrationally so). I ended up loving it and was happy I did it. So, good luck and enjoy!!

Icelander53
03-25-2015, 03:13 PM
I'm not holding you to anything. If you are comfortable or if you want a challenge then I say go. But if you feel overwhelmed then I say no. Follow yer gut on this one. I'm envious that you have a group to play for. I can't seem to find other uke players around here. :(

Well I see that you are out the door so good luck and I'm waiting for the report. You rock Dave. (you also bob up and down)

keod
03-25-2015, 03:42 PM
You'll do fine Dave. You have come a long ways since you started, and along the way provided much encouragement and advice to the rest of us. We're all pulling for ya!!!

sukie
03-25-2015, 05:19 PM
How'd it go??? Did you have fun? Details, man

telegramsam
03-25-2015, 06:35 PM
Big kudos for jumping out there. I'm sure you did great. (by now you may be basking in the audience adoration and paprazzi!):bowdown:

UkerDanno
03-25-2015, 07:12 PM
Good for you, Dave! Have fun...

pritch
03-25-2015, 07:22 PM
Not sure about the time zone thing but I'm assuming the event is over and am awaiting confirmation that all went well.

Ukejenny
03-25-2015, 07:25 PM
Woot, woot, and woot again!!!!!! So happy for you. Once you do it, you won't regret it!

Debby
03-25-2015, 08:06 PM
How did it go?

hollisdwyer
03-25-2015, 08:13 PM
You'll kill them Dave. If you get nervous just think about what happened to me the first time on stage. On my first strum I dropped my pick into the sound hole. Have a good laugh about that and just have fun because that is what it is all about.

Jim Yates
03-25-2015, 08:27 PM
My darlin' lovely wife gave me some sage advice 35 years ago, before we became romantically involved, the first time she ever saw me at an open mic.

"Jim," she said, "probably no one would notice your mistake if you didn't say "$#!+" into the mic right after you made it."

I've tried to follow that advice and would highly recommend it.

hollisdwyer
03-25-2015, 10:46 PM
Yep, saying "$#!+" into the mic right after you make a mistake is a dead give-a-way.

DownUpDave
03-26-2015, 01:41 AM
You folks are awesome, so were my fellow uksters last night. There were 7 performances and I was the lone "virgin". Some very good players went before me as I was second last, this did not help, man I was nervous. I sang "Big Rock Candy Mountain" from the O Brother Where Art Thou sound track, a surprising number of people knew it and sang along.

I could gloss over this and say it went ok but that would not be of any help to those reading this who might be thinking of going up for the first time. The microphones really threw me off and were a major feeling of discomfort. First I felt I was not loud enough, got closer, too loud, backed off, started to feel self conscious and heard my voice going flat and breaking. I lost a few chord progression but I never stopped strumming and I never stopped singing. That cures most flubs, just keep rolling. I looked at a few friendly faces, they were smiling and pulling for me so that helped to keep me going

Someone here said you will hear all your mistakes and I did, man did I ever. But talking to others afterwards about the volume variance and my voice they said they never heard any of that.........good friends are good fibbers :D I walked off the stage feeling a bit down because I know that song backwards and forwards and sing it well. A lot of people say I have a good voice, it certainly did not feel like it last night. Nothing felt good coming off the stage last night

I got a lot of congratulations and "good job"s last night. When I sat down I thought I am never doing that again, talking to others I thought well at least I did it. Driving home I started thinking "first time for everything". Anytime you do something for the very first time it is not going to be perfect. The stage and the mics were all very new and it made me uncomfortable, so what. Now typing this I am thinking of ways to improve. The only way to improve is to do more of them. Gotta hit thousands of golf balls to be a good golfer.

Taking some congrats from our sound man who is a fabulous player and singer I mean REALLY GOOD I said, it did not sound as good as it does from my kitchen table. He simply replied "it never does for me for me either". That blew my mind and has given me great perspective and hope to move forward.

If you are thinking of getting up just do it. You are a unique voice and deserve to be heard.

sukie
03-26-2015, 01:50 AM
Sounds like you had a great experience. :-)

Debby
03-26-2015, 02:03 AM
You folks are awesome, so were my fellow uksters last night. There were 7 performances and I was the lone "virgin". Some very good players went before me as I was second last, this did not help, man I was nervous. I sang "Big Rock Candy Mountain" from the O Brother Where Art Thou sound track, a surprising number of people knew it and sang along.

I could gloss over this and say it went ok but that would not be of any help to those reading this who might be thinking of going up for the first time. The microphones really threw me off and were a major feeling of discomfort. First I felt I was not loud enough, got closer, too loud, backed off, started to feel self conscious and heard my voice going flat and breaking. I lost a few chord progression but I never stopped strumming and I never stopped singing. That cures most flubs, just keep rolling. I looked at a few friendly faces, they were smiling and pulling for me so that helped to keep me going

Someone here said you will hear all your mistakes and I did, man did I ever. But talking to others afterwards about the volume variance and my voice they said they never heard any of that.........good friends are good fibbers :D I walked off the stage feeling a bit down because I know that song backwards and forwards and sing it well. A lot of people say I have a good voice, it certainly did not feel like it last night. Nothing felt good coming off the stage last night

I got a lot of congratulations and "good job"s last night. When I sat down I thought I am never doing that again, talking to others I thought well at least I did it. Driving home I started thinking "first time for everything". Anytime you do something for the very first time it is not going to be perfect. The stage and the mics were all very new and it made me uncomfortable, so what. Now typing this I am thinking of ways to improve. The only way to improve is to do more of them. Gotta hit thousands of golf balls to be a good golfer.

Taking some congrats from our sound man who is a fabulous player and singer I mean REALLY GOOD I said, it did not sound as good as it does from my kitchen table. He simply replied "it never does for me for me either". That blew my mind and has given me great perspective and hope to move forward.

If you are thinking of getting up just do it. You are a unique voice and deserve to be heard.

Congratulations on your first performance! I'm proud of you! Thanks for sharing your journey!

Icelander53
03-26-2015, 03:07 AM

I'll do it but only if you pay me first.

DownUpDave
03-26-2015, 03:28 AM
I'll do it but only if you pay me first.

Cheque is in the mail buddy...........:cheers:a

Rllink
03-26-2015, 03:57 AM
Good for you Dave. I bet you were great. We are all human, and I've sat through my fair share of performances, and a flub here and there just adds character to the performance. I was at a performance one time, and the guy was playing a guitar, and all of a sudden he stopped singing, but he just kept on strumming. Just as cool as could be, he looked up, smiled, and said, I forgot the next verse. Then he laughed, said, "OK, I got it", and went on. Everyone thought it was great, and it was all because he was so cool about it. He didn't miss a beat with his strumming. Anyway, I wish I could have been there to see you play. I would have loved to have seen it.

Ukejenny
03-26-2015, 04:11 AM

Quote of the day!!!! So proud for you and OF you! Yes, keep doing it!!! Sounds like a great night.

hollisdwyer
03-26-2015, 04:19 AM
Great story and what a great response from your UU comrades. Many of us would/have felt just like you did but you had the courage to see it through AND be a success. Good on ya mate!

sam13
03-26-2015, 04:43 AM
Congratulations Dave. Good for you to stand up and go for it.

Your first time is full of uncomfortable surprises, not like you expected, exhilarating and scary, andit is over before you know it.

It is the same thing with singing or performing. Lol

Olarte
03-26-2015, 04:53 AM
Congrats Dave... you are certainly on the road to success in playing publicly.

The first time is definitely the hardest.

A couple of suggestions that have helped me:

1. Check out a book called Effortless Mastery (http://www.amazon.com/Effortless-Mastery-Liberating-Master-Musician/dp/156224003X)by Kenny Werner it is an excellent read regarding the anxiety of performing. This was my biggest help in eventually being able to play classical guitar center stage. you think the uke is tough to perform with, try playing classical music in front of 50 other classical guitarists. hahaha.

2. Video yourself a lot, even if you don't upload, it the video becomes an audience of sorts. I went form doing many many takes to one or two to have something good enough to upload. plus you get to see what others see. In time I see my old videos and appreciate them and laugh at how critical I was when I first uploaded them.

3. get yourself a mike and a practice amp so you can get used to the whole thing, learn to deal with feedback, volume control etc...

4. last of all, perform, for yourself and for others as much as you can! and try to have someone video you if possible.

Eventually you will be able to focus on the playing almost as if you were playing in your room, and you get to listen to the music you are making almost as another audience member.

Here is a video I did in California at my first open mic, in front of 70 or so other uke players. yes I messed up but had a great time, and now appreciate the video and the memories. It was spur of the moment, and I too had not played in front of a mic etc...

Open Mic Video of "If" by Bread. Southern Cal Uke festival (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFVXDOEB6qo)

Good luck on your joiurney. Enjoy every step!

Ivan

Down Up Dick
03-26-2015, 04:54 AM
I'm proud of ya, DUD1, ya probably did better than you thought ya did. Next time will be an improvement and then it'll be easier and more fun each time you do it. I sorta wish I had the nerve to get up there, but my music is for my own amazement.

Keep on keepin' on! :old:

peterbright
03-26-2015, 05:13 AM
Congratulations. Now when is your first paying gig?

deschutestrout
03-26-2015, 05:46 AM
wOOT! Well done! First time is the hardest for sure, next time will likely be easier. And yes, try and play in front of people (small groups, friends, etc) as often as you can. I've been performing live for 40 or so years, and still get stage fright at times (certain situations and I say to my pals "holy crap...I'm a tad nervous!" ... I often play venues where I know just about everyone there, and those tend to be the hardest for me ... I believe its common to think friends will be the most critical, when actually they're the most forgiving. Audiences in general are VERY FORGIVING! And, don't hear mistakes the performers hear. Keep at it buddy! And, try getting a couple of your friends to join you as a duo or trio ... and if your friends are "better" players, all the better. I have developed a TON over the years, performing with those that can play circles around me ... the key is to HAVE FUN! I know I enjoy watching performers that make it very obvious they are enjoying themselves. Whatcha gonna play next week? :D

Steveperrywriter
03-26-2015, 07:48 AM
Dave --

I feel your pain, but everybody is right -- you probably didn't sound nearly as bad as you felt, and everybody makes mistakes. Saw a video of Springsteen going up on the lyrics of a song he wrote. He sai something like, hey, I knew the words when I started ... Then he began again.

I had the same problem when I did my first stand-up at a jam. Standing and playing with two mikes isn't the same as sitting and no amplification, and it it will throw you off. You fight like you train, and now you know more of what to expect, you can add that to your practice. First one is the hardest ...

peanuts56
03-26-2015, 11:34 AM
Congrats, you have made it past the first hurdle. I have not gotten up the courage to do what you did. I think as we age we begin to lose a little nerve. Mistakes happen but that's part of life.
I was at The Katherine Hepburn Theater in Old Saybrook, Ct. listening to Jimmy Webb do one of his one man shows. He was improvising a little on piano on one song. I forget which song he was performing. I was sitting very close and I noticed a slight look of panic. I realized that as he was improvising he was trying to figure out how to get back to the chorus section of the song. He eventually found his way back harmonically. Hell, he has something like 8 Grammy Awards, including a song of the year Grammy for Up, Up and Away and even he hiccups every now and then. Don't sweat the small stuff.

Dancing Seahorse
03-26-2015, 12:08 PM
Dear DownUPDave,

I am de-lurking and and making my first post this one.

Congratulations to you for a fabulous performance and your courage to sign up and play and sing! I was in attendance last evening at the open mic and can only say that Dave was FANTASTIC!!! You even did everything from memory. I look forward to your next song.

Uke on!

Icelander53
03-26-2015, 12:19 PM
Hey UDD has a fan club. I'm joining too.

sam13
03-26-2015, 12:23 PM
If I was there I would have recorded it on my iPhone and posted it to this post ... he will return with more performances ... that I know.

DownUpDave
03-26-2015, 12:40 PM
Hey UDD has a fan club. I'm joining too.

Hey Ice........you called me UDD as in UDDERLY awful, fantastic, mediocre, wonderful.....:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Man that was too funny I can't stop laughing. Icelander53 I am a fan of yours for sure.

DownUpDave
03-26-2015, 12:45 PM
Hey Sam and Seahorse, you guys are really good friends.

Dancing Seahorse, I feel honored that you stopped lurking and made your first post to recognize and support me, thank you. Now please do not tell sam13 that you taped my performance. I am NOT ready to go that public just yet. See you guys tonight at the Rooster.

Sylvan
03-26-2015, 12:49 PM
Congrats! I don't know if I'll ever get to do what you did. Personally, I'd rather hear a novice really try to sing-play a song well than an experienced musician just going through the motions collecting another paycheck singing a lousy version of their famous song.

Camsuke
03-26-2015, 12:58 PM
Good on you Dave! Congratulations mate, well done. Video? Please!

Ukuleleblues
03-26-2015, 06:39 PM
Congrats, sounds like you did great!

Phluffy the Destroyer
03-26-2015, 09:52 PM
Awesome, Dave!

DownUpDave
03-27-2015, 01:05 PM
Congrats Dave... you are certainly on the road to success in playing publicly.

The first time is definitely the hardest.

A couple of suggestions that have helped me:

1. Check out a book called Effortless Mastery (http://www.amazon.com/Effortless-Mastery-Liberating-Master-Musician/dp/156224003X)by Kenny Werner it is an excellent read regarding the anxiety of performing. This was my biggest help in eventually being able to play classical guitar center stage. you think the uke is tough to perform with, try playing classical music in front of 50 other classical guitarists. hahaha.

2. Video yourself a lot, even if you don't upload, it the video becomes an audience of sorts. I went form doing many many takes to one or two to have something good enough to upload. plus you get to see what others see. In time I see my old videos and appreciate them and laugh at how critical I was when I first uploaded them.

3. get yourself a mike and a practice amp so you can get used to the whole thing, learn to deal with feedback, volume control etc...

4. last of all, perform, for yourself and for others as much as you can! and try to have someone video you if possible.

Eventually you will be able to focus on the playing almost as if you were playing in your room, and you get to listen to the music you are making almost as another audience member.

Here is a video I did in California at my first open mic, in front of 70 or so other uke players. yes I messed up but had a great time, and now appreciate the video and the memories. It was spur of the moment, and I too had not played in front of a mic etc...

Open Mic Video of "If" by Bread. Southern Cal Uke festival (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFVXDOEB6qo)

Good luck on your joiurney. Enjoy every step!

Ivan

Man I LOVE this place. Ivan I must really take my hat off to you for such a sincere and helpful answer. Plus you have given me a great reason to buy more gear, I don't own an amp or mic but I am going to now. :cool:

An update is in order..........seems I was a little too hard on myself. I saw a video tape of my performance, nothing to be ashamed of, actually it was pretty good with just one or two small hickups that I probably only notice.

We gathered at a different jam last night, memebers from the night before were there. They were all saying what a good job I did and made me do it again. So now I am a seasoned veteran of two performances. Woot Woot

Lesson learned.........we are hardest on ourselves and our own worse critics. Thanks again everyone, now what amp and mic should I buy

Ukejenny
03-27-2015, 01:26 PM
Dear DownUPDave,

I am de-lurking and and making my first post this one.

Congratulations to you for a fabulous performance and your courage to sign up and play and sing! I was in attendance last evening at the open mic and can only say that Dave was FANTASTIC!!! You even did everything from memory. I look forward to your next song.

Uke on!

Now this, THIS, is cool. This is aloha. :shaka:

Ukejenny
03-27-2015, 01:29 PM
Man I LOVE this place. Ivan I must really take my hat off to you for such a sincere and helpful answer. Plus you have given me a great reason to buy more gear, I don't own an amp or mic but I am going to now. :cool:

An update is in order..........seems I was a little too hard on myself. I saw a video tape of my performance, nothing to be ashamed of, actually it was pretty good with just one or two small hickups that I probably only notice.

We gathered at a different jam last night, memebers from the night before were there. They were all saying what a good job I did and made me do it again. So now I am a seasoned veteran of two performances. Woot Woot

Lesson learned.........we are hardest on ourselves and our own worse critics. Thanks again everyone, now what amp and mic should I buy

Very cool, and now that you've had more than a taste, the sky is the limit!!!