For sale

You may want to kill this listing and start another with the description of the uke you're selling in the title, and include price and photos. That should help ya! :)

It is unlikely that you have a, "Brazilian rosewood" ukulele from Jay Lichty since it is illegal to import the wood. I know Jay Lichty uses Indian Rosewood which is legal to import.

It is unlikely that you have a, "Brazilian rosewood" ukulele from Jay Lichty since it is illegal to import the wood. I know Jay Lichty uses Indian Rosewood which is legal to import.

I have no knowledge of the uke in the OP, but Lichty offers Brazilian rosewood as an option on his website:http://lichtyguitars.com/?gallery=brazilian-rosewood-ukulele-tonewood-gallery In fact, I count around 10 Brazilian rosewood ukes in his gallery, including a gorgeous baritone. No idea if its the one in this listing or not.

Last edited:

It's always a good idea to do a little research before making a comment on somebodies "for sale" post. Because this is James Murray's first post, I took the time to visit his website and found it very interesting. In my opinion he is a real guy and I have have no doubt that he has a Brazilian ukulele from Jay Lichty. That being said, I would proceed with the same caution I would use with any other online purchase.

Mitch

Also, while wildly circulated on the Internet that BRW is now illegal, it is my understanding that it is not the case. Below is an excerpt from an article from Fretboard Journal:

"The new regulations do but one thing: create an exemption (including a documentation requirement for domestic sales) for stuff imported before it was listed on CITES. Stuff imported post-ban, like Brazilian rosewood imported after June 11, 1992, must be imported with a pre-CITES exemption certificate. This has been the law since 2007. The law does not require that a copy of this certificate or any other documentation accompany the sale of an instrument into which that wood was incorporated. There is no requirement in the law that a buyer or seller in any domestic transaction involving that wood produce or transfer any paperwork."
Except for the new pre-CITES exemption, nothing has changed. You can live your guitar buying, selling, and playing life as if you'd never had the misfortune of stumbling in cyberspace upon the pronouncement that Brazilian rosewood was about to become illegal.

Here is the link to the entire article:

http://www.fretboardjournal.com/fea...-updated-not-really-policy-brazilian-rosewood

It's illegal to harvest new Brazilian, and also to import/export, but there is still small amount of legal Brazilian out there that was harvested pre-ban. Also, some builders use re-claimed Brazilian from furniture, larger instruments, etc. Because it is scarce, upcharges are typically huge though. It's not all illegal though, and is even a current sale focus at AMW:

http://acousticmusicworks.com/

I once had someone jump on me for selling a uke with Giant Sequoia redwood top, clammering about how it is illegal to cut down Sequoias, etc., etc. Same thing, though... trees can fall naturally and then be harvested, old fences or barn boards can be reclaimed and used to make instruments, or in the case of redwood, 100 year old logs can be dredged up out of a river and used for instruments!

-Steve

So....where's the Jay Lichty baritone ukulele?

Top Bottom