Kala or Lanikai ?

RobinUke

Reaction score
Hey everyone!
I'm going to buy a new ukulele and i'm wondering which ukulele is the best between the Kala KA-KT( cutaway) and the lanikai CK-TEQ ?
I know that kala is a brand which only makes ukulele while Lanikai belongs to the brand Honer ( which products several different instruments ) . Therefore , I ask you to tell me which brand provides the best quality.
For the moment , I would rather buy the Lanikai ( I saw a 320 dollars one on Guitaronline.com with free shipping ( I live in France)).
Please help me ! Thanx !

I have tried both models and with the standard strings, I thought the Kala sounded better and louder but the Lanakai has a pick up so you cant really go wrong with either one. I liked them both

Good luck

I would by Kala over Lanikai having owned both. The solid Kalas sound really nice. For example there is a ka-asmt on eBay now for 208. Even though it has no pickup it is a beautiful sounding uke and a screaming deal. For me the biggest concern with active pickups is the cheap consumer electronics drilled into the side of the instrument. For that reason I personally would choose a passive pickup or no pickup at all. Just my opinion.

pickups can look really cheap

I would by Kala over Lanikai having owned both. The solid Kalas sound really nice. For example there is a ka-asmt on eBay now for 208. Even though it has no pickup it is a beautiful sounding uke and a screaming deal. For me the biggest concern with active pickups is the cheap consumer electronics drilled into the side of the instrument. For that reason I personally would choose a passive pickup or no pickup at all. Just my opinion.

I hope you can see in-person a ukulele like the one you are buying. Those pickups with the controls on the outside are dull plastic. I personally am bothered by the application of those plastic parts on a beautiful wood grained instrument. Passive pick-ups are almost invisible, and can be added to most any ukulele (as far as I know).

Get the one you think you would be the most excited about owning. You will play more if you have that emotional attachment to pick it up and play 10 times a day.

I have the Kala Mango Tenor, and love the way it looks as much as the way it sounds. I find myself picking it up a dozen times during the day, and practicing songs (work has been a bit slow lately).

–Lori:music:

I just ordered the Lanikai after I tried a bunch of different ukes at Bob's in Waikiki. I thought the Lanikai sounded a little better than the Kala, but everyone has different ears.
Keep looking around, I found the CK-TEQ for $279 with free shipping.

I personally am bothered by the application of those plastic parts on a beautiful wood grained instrument. Passive pick-ups are almost invisible, and can be added to most any ukulele (as far as I know).

I totally agree - a great example is a K-1 Kanilea that is on eBay right now selling well below its value because there is now a big hole in the side of it from a broken plastic preamp for which the owner couldn't find a replacement. I think that if you put cheap Chinese electronics in an instrument then there is a chance there won't be an exact replacement available when it breaks.

This is solely a personal opinion and in no way meant to offend those who own instruments with plastic preamps drilled into the side - I am sure many of them sound great! :shaka:

I say if either has a solid top get that one, otherwise if they seem relatively the same get the Lanikai since you like it better

i have a ck-teq and i absolutely love it. jake shimabukuro just signed mine last night at his show lol! the only thing i dont like about it is the pick-up system. i wish it was an under the saddle pickup and the hole is in the wrong place too. as for quality in the two instruments, they are both sturdy, and either one would be great, just look at where the pickups are on both of them and decide which one you like better.

Thank you for all your answers !
I think I'm gonna choose the Lanikai !
And If you know an online shop which sells it for about 280-300$ with an international free shipping I'll be grateful to you !
Tank you all ! :shaka:

i have a ck-teq and i absolutely love it. jake shimabukuro just signed mine last night at his show lol! the only thing i dont like about it is the pick-up system. i wish it was an under the saddle pickup and the hole is in the wrong place too. as for quality in the two instruments, they are both sturdy, and either one would be great, just look at where the pickups are on both of them and decide which one you like better.

I just want to say, great picture.

Nobody seems to have the Lanikai in stock. I've checked all over the web. They are all predicting a March 23 arrival date, and are $279 to $299.

I tried Music123, Woodwind and Brasswind, and Musicians Friend, plus a bunch of other shops. I ended up ordering from Musicians Friend, now I just have to wait...:(

Nobody seems to have the Lanikai in stock. I've checked all over the web. They are all predicting a March 23 arrival date, and are $279 to $299.

I tried Music123, Woodwind and Brasswind, and Musicians Friend, plus a bunch of other shops. I ended up ordering from Musicians Friend, now I just have to wait...:(

Welcome to the world of Delivery Anticipation Syndrome. :cool:

It's hittin' me pretty hard right now, waiting for my Kala baritone.

Check ebay

nobody seems to have the lanikai in stock. I've checked all over the web. They are all predicting a march 23 arrival date, and are $279 to $299.

I tried music123, woodwind and brasswind, and musicians friend, plus a bunch of other shops. I ended up ordering from musicians friend, now i just have to wait...:(

Top Bottom