Hesitation

Kim la

Reaction score
Been thinking about a K brand concert. I had some down time at work this morning and was surfing the HMS site. They had a beautiful mint condition few months old premium koa concert for $800. In the 30 min it took me to ponder and then pull the trigger on it, it was gone! Lesson learned, don't hesitate.

Hesitation has been a primary survival trait of our species and allowed us to survive to this crazy place. Black and white statements always give me pause.

Be careful not to learn the wrong lesson from this. Had you not hesitated you would have been impulsive. It's easy to make up negative sounding names for things but there is usually a positive sounding name that applies just as well. I would say you were reasonably thoughtful but things just didn't work out. 30 minutes is not too long to think about spending $800.

That one was not meant to be yours! Be patient, the right uke will present itself ... maybe consider posting a WTB ad ... those have been very effective as of late :)

Be careful not to learn the wrong lesson from this. Had you not hesitated you would have been impulsive. It's easy to make up negative sounding names for things but there is usually a positive sounding name that applies just as well. I would say you were reasonably thoughtful but things just didn't work out. 30 minutes is not too long to think about spending $800.

Hear hear!

Your uke will come.

Send them an email. They may have another or something like it but just haven't put it on the website.

Happy hunting!

Thanks guys. I am over it now:) plenty of ukes in the sea.

Love the advice from @pluck!

If you're seriously in the market, call HMS and tell them what you're looking for and hear what they recommend. I don't know what you currently have/enjoy, but in addition to the K brands you might want to check out LoPrinzi, Kiwaya and Takumi as excellent options to also consider. Again, HMS can guide you once they understand your likes/dislikes.

I think some things are meant to be or they are not.

I really liked the mahogany rebel tenor from NAMM, and sent Andrew an email about it. He said it didn't last an hour on the website and was already sold. A few weeks later I got a message from a UU member asking me if I was interested in it as he bought the BeauH that was recently listed, and to be fair both of those rack up a pretty hefty bill. But I wasn't sure because I didn't know the guy, and was a bit scared to send paypal "gift" to some I didn't know.

Long story short, it ended up back at HMS just as I got my tax return. So the money, the safety, and the second opportunity all just came together.

I think sometimes fate wants you to have something and sometimes it doesn't.
It's like that line in Best Marigold Hotel.
Everything will be alright in the end. If it is not alright, it is not yet the end.

A year ago January I hesitated on a blackbear ukulele made of white pine sold as an oddball I want to say it was only $350-$450 so I decided to sleep on it, of course 4 hours later after a nap it was gone. Been kicking myself since.

I have a $300 cap on things I want to buy. Under $300 and I'll buy anything on a whim over $300 and I need to spend a dy to a week deciding.

I'm currently debating on getting myself a Wacom Cintiq 13HD pen display which retails at $999. I have been wanting one now for at least 3 years but have convinced myself I have no business need for such expense. I tried using a Wacom Intuos pro pen tablet but honestly as a pencil artist drawing while looking up just doesn't cut it. I need to see what my pen/pencil puts down behind the pen not on a screen.

Off topic on topic? While waiting for the past three years or so just looking at them again a few night ago I find I came back just in time for touch control on the 13" HD pen display at the same $999 price tag from a few years ago. Waiting on it has allowed me more bang for my buck!

My KoAloha concert came to me for a song. Its well worn from playing with a few minor dings I see it as well loved. An early 2000's model, 2002 IIRC with a body made from three pieces of Koa its a yummy ukulele. I only wish it were a soprano but honestly after reading about all the religious symbology in the headstock design I cannot say I would buy another, not at full price. Of my many ukuleles I have a Bruce Wei tenor made of Acacia cost me all of $18.50 before the then $60 shipping charge that is comparable in tone to the KoAloha.

And now I'm babbling.

Your ukulele will find you and you will find many others along the way some will be good while others may bring buyers remorse and the many that fall somewhere in between. Enjoy the ride.

Last edited:
While you're contemplating your next purchase you might enjoy listening to this brother. :p

Always another deal out there.....always. I snagged a Kamaka White Label soprano in pristine condition for $199 with Buy it Now and free shipping in the middle of the night not long ago when I was having trouble sleeping. You just never know!!!!!!!!!

That one was not meant to be yours!

That's what I'm telling myself. I saw the one the op missed out on, but they also had a "microblemish" Kanile'a K3 Concert for a good reduction. Thought overnight (and that's definitely not too long for that amount of money) but it was gone in the morning. Wasn't meant to be mine.

I see it as a really good reason to keep scanning UU Marketplace & HMS every day or two, because you never know when THE right uke will show up.

If you have been window-shopping at HMS every day for one year, like I have done, then I guess you know a good deal on something you want when it comes up and you probably won't hesitate.

A good thing about this situation might be, now that you hesitated and lost it, you know in your gut and heart how badly you actually want it. And next time, that knowledge will help you do what needs to be done, whether it be jump on it with both boots, or wait.

I agree with the others as well, when it's meant to be, it will be. And shopping every day will give you a great lay of the land when your baby finally pops up.

Top Bottom