Someone is trying to hack into my ukulele underground forum account

mariegan7

Reaction score
I just got this automated e-mail from the ukulele underground forums. Fortunately my password is a long with a combination of letters and numbers so it'll be difficult to figure out. The IP address originates from China. Everyone should make sure that their password is complex so it can't be hacked.

Dear mariegan7,

Someone has tried to log into your account on Ukulele Underground Forums with an incorrect password at least 5 times. This person has been prevented from attempting to login to your account for the next 15 minutes.

The person trying to log into your account had the following IP address: 183.207.228.14

All the best,
Ukulele Underground Forums

Wow , why would anyone want with a ukulele underground account when they can just join for free.
I wonder that myself. I mean, even if they did hack into my account, what could they do? I guess they could post inappropriate things under my name, but it seems like a lot of effort just to do that.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll be checking my controls and my email to make sure I don't have the same message.

Not if their posts include links to untrustworthy sites, where they can gull users into divulging login info to eBay or PayPal, for instance. If you recognize a trustworthy user name, do you question the validity of the links they post?

Only if they are transparent links to legit sites like YT or whatever. I think it's a good rule to never click links that use URL shortening services such as bit.ly or tinyurl, since those links offer no insight into where they are pointing.

If more than one person is getting this message, I offer the possibility that the UU admin email account was hacked and is sending out false emails.

In any event, don't click on any links in emails reporting such a thing. Even if individual accounts were hacked, it's best to go to the forum directly from your browser.

Not if their posts include links to untrustworthy sites, where they can gull users into divulging login info to eBay or PayPal, for instance. If you recognize a trustworthy user name, do you question the validity of the links they post?
Or it could be a bot scraper working its way thru the public Member List here using a set of common passwords to get into accts in order to harvest registration emails to spam you. You'd be surprised at how many people use something really common like "password" or "12345".

I think it's a good rule to never click links that use URL shortening services such as bit.ly or tinyurl, since those links offer no insight into where they are pointing.
Yeah, we ended up filtering most of those at another forum where I'm an admin. Spammers will use link shorteners to get around other sites that have been blocked.

Actually, yes I do.

Wow , why would anyone want with a ukulele underground account when they can just join for free.

How many people have signed up using their real name and e-mail address? And location? I'd say most. How many people here use that same e-mail address to sign in to other websites? Amazon and EBay perhaps? And how many people here use the same password for different sites? Once you start to confirm these details identity theft becomes very easy.

How many people have signed up using their real name and e-mail address? And location? I'd say most. How many people here use that same e-mail address to sign in to other websites? Amazon and EBay perhaps? And how many people here use the same password for different sites? Once you start to confirm these details identity theft becomes very easy.

Agreed, so I got into my controls and changed my password on here to something totally new, that I use nowhere else.

Top Bottom