NUD KoAloha Imaikalani

JonThysell

Reaction score
I know I just bought a Kamaka 8 string, but I just had to have a 6 string too. HMS got them back in stock and I jumped on it.

WP_20150327_005.jpg WP_20150327_006.jpg WP_20150327_007.jpg WP_20150327_010.jpg WP_20150327_011.jpg

I love the grain of the wood, the feel, and the sound. Didn't even notice how nice the fret markers were. Got a MiSi installed (to jam on my new amp) and a button on the neck for a strap.

The only thing that had me puzzled is it's tuned with unison a's when I was expecting octaves. I've only heard of unison a's on a six-stringer when you switch to low-g. This has high-g.

All those ringing high notes and the highs are closer to the eight-string. I generally don't like to change out the strings immediately on a high-end uke, (especially one so new, Oct 14) giving it time to breath, but I really wanted that low-a sound.

Anyway, time to go play!

Nice. It's my understanding that unison A's are standard on a 6 string. I bought an 8 string Southcoast set to give me more flexibility in tuning my 6 string Pono.

Most of the 6 strings I've played are strung with an octave A. On my GString 6, the low A seemed to be quite dominant so I went with a unison A and swapped out for a low G. The balance between the low G and C combined with the other strings gives me a sound I like and I've used that configuration since.

Most of the 6 strings I've played are strung with an octave A. On my GString 6, the low A seemed to be quite dominant so I went with a unison A and swapped out for a low G. The balance between the low G and C combined with the other strings gives me a sound I like and I've used that configuration since.

Have you compared it to an 8 string? My 8 string has octave g, octave c, unison e, unison a. I love the sound, but I actually wanted something different out of the 6 string. I mean it's a quick test for me to swap out one string and try out the sound, just looking to other six/eight string players for options.

Top Bottom