I have turned into a Big Whimp

Strumdaddy

Reaction score
I just spent the last hour restringing an old banjo-mandolin... It's the first time in years I've dealt with steel strings - though guitars and mandolin family instruments used to be all I played.
Now I find steel strings to be a pain to deal with - especially on tiny mandolin string posts. UGHHHH!!!!
I have become so used to the feel of nylon (flourocarbon) strings - to play, and especially to re-string.
So easy, so smooth, so friendly....
Antone else feel the same?

Have to admit I play the steel stringed instruments less and less.

I have one steel string uke and that's perfect. It's for my rock star fantasy life. I just got a crybaby for it. :cool:

I use a power winder on steel strings and I am done in a Jiffy

I guess I should be ashamed to say, but I've never liked the feel of steel strings. Ever. On anything. I think every instrument, including electric bass, should have a string that feels nice, satiny, and buttery to my fingers.

Just picked up the mandolin not too long ago. Those 8 steel strings and the use of a pick were definitely an eye opener for me. I thought the days of calluses were long gone when first started playing uke.

Why be ashamed at a preference? I'm still getting used to some steel strings but I kind of like them so far. Of course the very low action on the Risa helps a lot.

Yeah, my post was after a "I should have gone to bed an hour ago 'cause it shouldn't be this hard" moment. But this morning I strummed my "little thunderbox" 1930's banjo-mandolin and all was well. I'm ready for a bluegrass festival now.
Still made me appreciate the whole user friendly vibe of nylon.
I used to have a fleet of steel-strung instruments and not be so bothered by working with them. I also used to ride motor cycles in all sorts of weather, and train everyday to run marathons....
Thanks for the suggestion of the Elixirs Mr Dribble - might be a more comfortable alternative.

I'm starting to have serious problems fretting on my steel stringed guitars (but not on my ukes!!) . . . I'm looking at converting my Taylor S Mini to nylon strings. Anything I need to be aware of? Other than the fact that the tuners can cut the strings . . .

bobinde

Although, having said all this, I am reminded of a much younger "Strum" who started playing classical guitar, whose hero was John Williams, who then heard James Taylor and all those singer/song-writers, who abandoned scales and arpeggios for chords and words...
There will always be something evocative and moving about the sound of steel....

Just recently got a steel string tenor guitar (22-7/8 scale), tuned DGBE. I honestly don't feel much difference. Never successfully played steel string guitar before. This tenor guitar is an easy player. I can play for a hour or more without a problem.

I use Oasis, SouthCoast, and Savarez fluorocarbon strings usually on my tenor ukes. Maybe it is the tuning on the tenor guitar and the shorter scale. Maybe it is the setup. A great setup can help too. Could be that my fingers seem to have permanent calluses.

Last edited:
I'm starting to have serious problems fretting on my steel stringed guitars (but not on my ukes!!) . . . I'm looking at converting my Taylor S Mini to nylon strings. Anything I need to be aware of? Other than the fact that the tuners can cut the strings . . .
Instruments built for steel strings generally have thicker tops and heavier bracing to accommodate the higher tension steel strings. Nylon strings do not have the "oomph" to power the top, so the sound will be weaker. Not to say you can't do it, but it won't be optimal.

On the other hand, when you put steel strings on an instrument build for nylon, the higher tension can warp the neck and pull off the bridge.

It couldn't hurt to try, but bear in mind that you'll need to widen some of the nut slots. However, I don't think you'll like the results, because the guitar was built for steel, and nylon won't provide enough tension to drive the top.

If the GS Mini is uncomfortable, consider going to a lighter gauge string. Taylor sets up that model with medium strings, and lights or x-lights will be more comfortable. And don't forget a good setup. I have a Martin 000-15 which is extremely comfortable and gives me no trouble even after several days of playing a uke.

I have Elixirs on all my guitars now, they seem to be the kindest to fingertips.

It couldn't hurt to try, but bear in mind that you'll need to widen some of the nut slots. However, I don't think you'll like the results, because the guitar was built for steel, and nylon won't provide enough tension to drive the top.

If the GS Mini is uncomfortable, consider going to a lighter gauge string. Taylor sets up that model with medium strings, and lights or x-lights will be more comfortable. And don't forget a good setup. I have a Martin 000-15 which is extremely comfortable and gives me no trouble even after several days of playing a uke.

. . . Actually, I'm using Elixir lights on my Taylor and the Yamaha and love the sound, but, as I said, frettng is becoming an issue. I really want to avoid buying a new guitar as I am on a very limited (Social Security check) income.

But thanks for all for the highly appreciated feedback. That's the kind of stuff that brings folks back to this forum!

bobinde

Why do you think you are having trouble fretting? Sorry if you've already addressed this but I'm not sure I understand the issue? I find that fretting my Electric is at least as easy as my acoustic ukes. I'm far from the expert here but is the problem the action? Can you lower it? My Risa has such a low action that it's actually pure pleasure to fret. I barely touch the frets and get a nice clean sound.

Last edited:
. . . Actually, I'm using Elixir lights on my Taylor and the Yamaha and love the sound, but, as I said, frettng is becoming an issue. I really want to avoid buying a new guitar as I am on a very limited (Social Security check) income.
Is either guitar easier to fret with a capo? If so, then the nut slots need a little adjusting, and that would be addressed with a setup. Even from the most consistent factories, few guitars come out of the box without needing a setup, and setups vary according to the player's taste. I know your budget is limited, but it shouldn't cost too much for a guitar that has no major problems, it shouldn't cost too much. You could have one guitar done and see if it helps.

You might also give some close attention to your fretting hand. I have a tendency to press the strings harder than necessary, and on a standard scale guitar you won't necessarily hear when you're doing this. The GS Mini has a shorter scale that may give you aural cues (a fretted note is sharp when the string is on pitch) but I haven't had enough experience with this model to know. I have a Baby (smaller scale) and it's on that guitar that I learned about my overzealous fretting.

Top Bottom