8 string to 5 string by removing 3 strings?

String spacing would be a little wonky. Not sure I'd consider it. See if you can trade the Lanikai for a 5 string.

If it's your only option, give it a shot (won't hurt anything) by removing the C,E,A and leaving the the fourth course (G) doubled. As Phil said, the spacing will feel a bit weird.

does not Taimane Gardner remove strings from her 8 string. Looks that way in several videos

The string spacing on is actually less than my Pono MCD, (40mm vs 45mm)

If I keep the ones that are spaced to the low G then the spacing would be good for picking.

What is the spacing on a 5 string, are they spaced to the centre of the double G or are they spaced to the low G?

The standard string pattern on an 8 string is, G, octave, C, octave, e, unison, a, unison.

I remove the higher octave c strings on my 8 string ukuleles and play 7 string as the high octave c string just doesn't work for me. Most of the time I'm a picker and not a strummer.

What don't you like about 8 strings?

Anthony

The standard string pattern on an 8 string is, G, octave, C, octave, e, unison, a, unison.

I remove the higher octave c strings on my 8 string ukuleles and play 7 string as the high octave c string just doesn't work for me. Most of the time I'm a picker and not a strummer.

What don't you like about 8 strings?

Anthony

I really like the sound of the 8 string, to me it's sounds halfway between a ukulele and a mandolin, but I think I would like it to sound more like a ukulele.

I'd like a proper 5 string to add to my small collection, but they are rare in the UK.

Mine is strung, G, octave, c, unison, e, unison, A, octave.

Plus my technique isn't good enough to pick the 8 string :(

The potential problem with removing some of the strings from an 8-string uke is that the empty tuners can rattle and buzz without the string tension to hold them in place.

The way the strings are spaced on my 5-string ukes is as follows:

I mark the centre point between the two G strings.
I mark the position of the A string.

The distance between these points is divided by three, giving me the correct positions for the C and E strings.

That, looks interesting.

If you could let me know, that'd be great.

Will do. SUS are putting Worth Browns on mine for me and I should get it on Tuesday, so I'll let you know what it's like as soon as the strings have settled enough to be sure. HMS have a sound sample with the Aquilas on in the meantime, though.

Top Bottom