Canadian On-line store with good prices on PONO

Brenda Wong

Reaction score
I came across a Canadian site and their prices look cheap. I believe the price is in Canadian dollars as it is base in Montreal which means a good 20% discount for the American buyers .
Has anyone shop there?
http://www.guitarjunky.ca/

I wish it was a good option! Don't know and have never tried it Our options limited in Canada. I don't get the warm and fuzzy feeling from the site. The Pono's shown have been the same ones for a year now. I think the Mango Pono tenor looks like it was from their first batch a few years back.....definately doesn't look current. Same with the maple back Pono tenor. No mention of set up either. I guess I'm spoiled with HMS. I like more pictures, from more angles and video sound sample. If anybody has first hand experience with them chime in but it strikes me as another guitar vendor throwing in a few ukuleles. I want to buy from someone who knows ukuleles and installs confidence in me before I buy.

My .02 cents worth.....
MT

I wish it was a good option! Don't know and have never tried it Our options limited in Canada. I don't get the warm and fuzzy feeling from the site. The Pono's shown have been the same ones for a year now. I think the Mango Pono tenor looks like it was from their first batch a few years back.....definately doesn't look current. Same with the maple back Pono tenor. No mention of set up either. I guess I'm spoiled with HMS. I like more pictures, from more angles and video sound sample. If anybody has first hand experience with them chime in but it strikes me as another guitar vendor throwing in a few ukuleles. I want to buy from someone who knows ukuleles and installs confidence in me before I buy.

My .02 cents worth.....
MT

I will tell you what I know. About 8 months ago a found this dealer and tried to contact him by email once, twice, three times finally got a reply. Said they were getying out of the ukulele business and what they had was what they had. Look at any of his Ponos and they are all old stock, either discontinued models or nonradius fretboard old stock pro classic

Last edited:
Dave, I email them last Thursday. No response yet.

I found Tom Lee Music (see weblink below) in Vancouver that has a lot of Pono but not sure how current they are. Tom Lee is an established music store in Hong Kong. I trust them but I doubt that they will do set up or drill strap button for free. Let's see what they say , I sent them an email this morning. Their price seems to be fair even comparing to HMS.
I am trying to avoid paying custom that's why I am hoping to find a Canadian dealer.

http://www.tomleemusic.ca/index.php/shopping/

Below is the reply from Tom Lee Music. They didn't really answer my question about set up and strap button. I guess he doesn't even know what that is.

Hi Brenda Free Ground shipping on qualifying items is still available. Qualifying items are regular priced lightweight items (large amps drums or PA equipment are typical for exemption) If the order pre tax total is 199.99 or greater and the items qualify then it should be an option in the shipping method page at checkout.
To get a total price please click "Add to cart" to add the item(s) to your shopping cart. You may use the in cart shipping calculator or check out and the price plus shipping will be totaled before any charges are applied.

Note that any item that says “out of stock special order” is not in the online store and may be special ordered either from retail store stock(if available) or our supplier. Special orders are subject to delays depending on the supplier availability
Cheers

Roger Salvesen
Online Store Manager
Tom Lee Music Co. Ltd.

Dave, I email them last Thursday. No response yet.

I found Tom Lee Music (see weblink below) in Vancouver that has a lot of Pono but not sure how current they are. Tom Lee is an established music store in Hong Kong. I trust them but I doubt that they will do set up or drill strap button for free. Let's see what they say , I sent them an email this morning. Their price seems to be fair even comparing to HMS.
I am trying to avoid paying custom that's why I am hoping to find a Canadian dealer.

http://www.tomleemusic.ca/index.php/shopping/

Brenda, there are no custom charges when buying ukuleles from the USA, only HST. You would be charged that from a retailer in BC anyways, the only hit we take is the difference in the dollar. Buy a uke from HMS over $800 and international shipping is free.

The very best way to save money is buy used from right here in the marketplace. A reasonable price is 20% - 35% off of new price depending on make, model, age and condition. I have bought 5 different ukes here and each one was great with a seemless, hassle free transaction.

Last edited:
I have seen one Pono at the Ossington Long & Mcquade. This was several months back and I can't remember the style. I am not too familiar with this brand. Try calling the store. Good luck with your Uke quest.

I don't know anyone who's bought on-line from these folks, but a lot of people in Southern Ontario make the drive to Dundas to buy stuff from them. I've only been there once, but they were very savvy about ukuleles...not a guitar store that dabbles in ukes, but a specialty shop.
http://www.stringalongukulele.ca/

13 % HST + 20% exchange = 33% that we could have spent on a nicer Uku not tax. :-( The story of our poor life.
I will drive to Dundas to check out this store. Thanks Jim

If you're looking for a bricks and mortar store not far from the GTA, there's also Broadway Music in Orangeville.

Oh, and the exchange going from US$ to Cdn$ is more like 30% not 20% if you include the credit card's fee.

If you're looking for a bricks and mortar store not far from the GTA, there's also Broadway Music in Orangeville.

Oh, and the exchange going from US$ to Cdn$ is more like 30% not 20% if you include the credit card's fee.

I looked at the Broadway Music site as well as the one someone mentioned in Dundas. They only carry low end Ukulele. I think $400 is consider high end for them . I forgot the credit card fee. This is so discouraging. :-(

I looked at the Broadway Music site as well as the one someone mentioned in Dundas. They only carry low end Ukulele. I think $400 is consider high end for them . I forgot the credit card fee. This is so discouraging. :-(

Don't judge Broadway just by their website. They also had some Kamakas when I was there last.

Also an hour away from GTA is http://www.folkwaymusic.com/new-instruments/ukuleles/

I don't know anyone who's bought on-line from these folks, but a lot of people in Southern Ontario make the drive to Dundas to buy stuff from them. I've only been there once, but they were very savvy about ukuleles...not a guitar store that dabbles in ukes, but a specialty shop.
http://www.stringalongukulele.ca/

Hi Jim,

I have had great interaction with these people ... never bought anything ... but very prompt on their emails.

Hope all is well out your way.

sam

I looked at the sites recommended here. Look like there are a lot of out of stock uku .
I suppose no one wants to stock inventory.

Brenda, a few years ago when I first got interested in playing ukulele, I too did the search for a Canadian store, brick and mortar or online, at which to buy good quality ukes or even good quality strings. But it was/is tough!

Considering that Vancouver and surrounds has a huge population of uke players and loads of meetups every month, you'd be hard pressed to find anything above an entry level ukulele or a set of aquila strings in any local music store.

Of course a while back the dollar was stronger...I purchased from Mim, Bounty Music on Maui and HMS on Oahu. I have also bought right here from the UU community. My finest purchase to date and the only time I was able to buy in Canada was a custom build from a local up and coming luthier!

Good luck in your search and please do share if you unearth a Canadian source of good quality ukes and accessories.

I'm in Toronto and I've had good luck buying used ukuleles from forum members. There is a shipping outlet that I use in Niagara Falls NY that will accept and hold packages for 30 days for a nominal charge. I ship stuff there and then drive over the border to pick it up. It's much cheaper to ship it there and the seller doesn't have to worry about the extra international shipping paperwork and charges.

Jordan

I'm in Toronto and I've had good luck buying used ukuleles from forum members. There is a shipping outlet that I use in Niagara Falls NY that will accept and hold packages for 30 days for a nominal charge. I ship stuff there and then drive over the border to pick it up. It's much cheaper to ship it there and the seller doesn't have to worry about the extra international shipping paperwork and charges.

Jordan

Same over on this side, Jordan, I have a pickup spot in Blaine, just across the border. As you said, it does simplify things when buying from a US seller.

Top Bottom