Holes in ‘fiery’ grained tonewood

Kevs-the-name

Reaction score
I have recently purchased book matched Indian Rosewood back and sides for a new tenor build.

The back has 3-4 holes in the grain. the seller told me this was to be expected in such figured wood; and can be filled with epoxy resin.

1, Is this possible
2, What other options available apart from disposal.

Thanks for your advice

Attachments

• IMG_0418.jpg
    IMG_0418.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_0418-2.jpg
    IMG_0418-2.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
This is slab sawn indian- how much did you pay for it??? I hope not alot, but it is usable wood for you...not for a professional luthier though.

Either epoxy or ca glue.

If CA, sand it so fine dust gets into the cracks/holes- then flood it with thin ca- it will take a few applications.

If Epoxy, mist epoxy up and dye it with dye or wood dust and get it into the gaps.

Either way, the fix will be darker then the wood.

This is slab sawn indian- how much did you pay for it??? I hope not alot, but it is usable wood for you...not for a professional luthier though.

Thanks for advice.
This came with pre bent rosewood sides as well for about £30 (40usd)
It came as part of a big package of other stuff so it is difficult to price it all.
I guess it is 'quite' good value!!! The seller is a fair person!
He has Offered a replacement if Im not happy. But it is very plain
I might try to repair and see what happens.

It is good to know that this is NOT NORMAL though!

Last edited:
I wouldn't say its "not normal" - its wood, with knots, flatsawn (actually, may not even be that). What I see is what I'd expect.

Anyway, I don't see any figure in your wood. I see twisted grain lines going in multiple directions - the issue for me would be where the runout occurs, which really wouldn't matter because it would end up in my "Rodger" pile (that's my wood pile of stuff I'll never use, and my friend Rodger picks them all up).

Don't get me all wrong, I do think its nice and interesting, and has potential as a veneer or inlay material, even with the knots, which I appreciate probably a little too much.

Last edited:
Like Beau said. It's not great wood and we would never use something like that, but suitable enough to make a uke for a hobby builder.

If you want to use it, then I like to fill holes like that with wood dust and CA. It's quick and effective.

However you said he's offering a replacement set that is very plain. Indian Rosewood should be straight grain, so if that is what is offered, then personally that is what I'd be going for.

Personally, as a hobbiest builder, I wouldn't want to deal with that kind of problem. Sure, it can be fixed, but why go there? Also, what are the bending issues gonna be on those CA filled sides? I dunno, but maybe as hobbiest builders, we got enough problems without dealing with gaping holes in our wood. I say, send it back and get replacements. Oh and those look like rotted out knot holes and structural issues could become issues. Do yourself a favor Ken and send em' back. That is what I would do.... Did you see pictures of this wood before you bought it?

Top Bottom