how to flush trim without router?

Small thumb plane. Hardware store: Stanley $9.50 on sale. Sharpen first. Rasp on the waist. Then sandpaper. Routers are for lazy wimps... (ducks and covers).

A freind of mine who works as a Chef in a restraunt did it on his soprano build with a sharp knife he said it was just like peeling a potato.

Think of it as an opportunity to buy a new router. They make excellent dust generation and collection devices. Just think how much fun you can have showing your friends and family your new router and how you can tell them as their eyes glaze over with pride how much it cost and all the things you might be able to do with it if only you had the time. While you are at it build a router table to mount it in and every possible bit you think you might use one day. I have two and can even vaguely remember the last time I used one. I just need to build a few jigs and a couple of new bits and I might even one day have the time ....

You notice that the router guys are not saying anything except for two words about the steak knife, machete and rasp method: Tear Out, Uke Boy. Let's face it, a sharp bit and a router is the way to go to trimming tops down to sides. I've had some heart stopping moments with hand tools on this particular step which were not fun. Never had a disaster, but I've scrambled a time or two. The bottom line is I actually ENJOY working with the wood with hand tools on this step. If I built an uke everyday, I would not do it this way. I would use a router. Doh!

I love all my routers... next to the chainsaw and nail gun, got to be my favorite tool :eek:

I like a knife to pare down softwood tops and chisels for the backs. But that was long ago. Routers are just too damn fast and clean not to use one.

Laser Panda, was it..! Darn, I should have checked twice before going for that sale. The cheap Jet Rhino completely mauled the soprano I was working on.

I am surprised no one is mentioning a card scraper...the traditional tool used for centuries by guitar builders. More efficient with more control.
Why no router use? With a well set up router with an accurate binding base, you can have much more consistancy.

Top Bottom