Played my first open mic on Friday

benmealer

Reaction score
It was lots of fun. I was really nervous. My leg was shaking so much that I had to keep a beat with it to stop it from looking crazy. It didn't go bad, but I need to work on my banter with the people and I couldn't really look at the crowd too much because of nerves. I know it will get better ofter a few more times. I played with my friend Nobu. He was on the guitar and I played the uke and sang. We played "In the Pines", "Hello, Mary Lou" and then gave them a choice between a Journey song and "Summertime". They picked "Summertime". If anyone's around NYC they should come out and play. Everyone was really nice and there was even another ukulele/guitar combo that played that night.

Congrats! That's not an easy thing to do.

Congratulations!

The jitters get much easier to handle the more you perform for the public. If you get a chance to see Jake Shimabukuro in concert, check out how he handles the crowd. Jake is a master when it comes to working the audience. He is very smooth, polished and professional.

Thanks alot, Suki. It wasn't easy, but I'm glad I did it. I was just happy that my voice didn't crack or my fingers didn't freeze up.

Pippen: Thank you. I will check him out next time he comes here. I hope to be comfortable enough to play in the subway or the park by this summer and make a couple bucks for a drink or two afterward... maybe :uhoh:

Deach, I wanted to tape it. I brought my video camera. I had a nice spot to set it up at, but then everything started going so fast I didn't have a chance to do it and I was already a little self conscious because there were alot of really good musicians there and I was pretty sure I was already going to look foolish and choke in front of everyone so nothing got recorded. Maybe this friday I can record.

:music:I also just recently had my first open mic at a local coffee sh.....well the only coffee shop around. I played 5 foot 2. I messed up really bad right in the middle of it, but i improved and then went back to the real song. no one noticed. score. lol

I hope to be comfortable enough to play in the subway or the park by this summer and make a couple bucks for a drink or two afterward... maybe :uhoh:

If you're going to play in the subway you should check out MUNY (Music Under New York). You're allowed to play even if you're not a MUNY registered busker, but if one of them comes along and wants your spot, you're SOL.

Congrats on the open mic!!!!

I know how hard it can be I had some friends over Sat night for cocktails and they wanted me to play a couple songs and I froze up!!!

... I couldn't really look at the crowd too much because of nerves. ..

An old trick I learned in public performance is to look at people's foreheads instead of their eyes. That way you can concentrate on what you're saying and avoid noticing the reaction thru the audiences eyes. And it looks like you're looking at them too. I had to introduce Garrison Keillor at a performance at the Palace Theater in Louisville once and ad-libbed the whole thing. Not looking at the audience's eyes helped me get thru that!

congrats!!! open mics are GREAT!! that is how i first got started! it was about 2.5 years go when i first played.. it was guitar.. and i played one verse of a bob dylan song! just one verse! and then about 3 weeks later.. at the end of the same open mic i did one full song "shelter from the storm" we had the open mic every wed! after a while they asked me to take over hosting one of the weeks.. i always find it funny when i am hosting things.. i am often the worst person there!! but it is all in fun!! after a while.. i kind of liked looking at peoples eyes.. it was an odd connection with them..

if anyone is in Kansas City and wants to play.. i host www.myspace.com/kcmidtownopenmic

come play!!

and once again congrats!!!

If you're going to play in the subway you should check out MUNY (Music Under New York). You're allowed to play even if you're not a MUNY registered busker, but if one of them comes along and wants your spot, you're SOL.

I was actually going to get in touch with you for pointers before I did any busking. I'm pretty sure you only need a one of those banners if you're playing with amplification. I not too worried about getting bumped out of a space. I wouldn't need one of the higher profile places. I'd be happy with a corner somewhere. There're plenty of spots.

I was actually going to get in touch with you for pointers before I did any busking. I'm pretty sure you only need a one of those banners if you're playing with amplification. I not too worried about getting bumped out of a space. I wouldn't need one of the higher profile places. I'd be happy with a corner somewhere. There're plenty of spots.

Congrats on the open mic - definitely record it next time.

I used to busk for a living up here in Seattle back in the '90s - made a ton of cash and met some real characters. Pike Place market in the summer was (is?) a Busker's paradise.

You'll have a blast.

An old trick I learned in public performance is to look at people's foreheads instead of their eyes. That way you can concentrate on what you're saying and avoid noticing the reaction thru the audiences eyes. And it looks like you're looking at them too. I had to introduce Garrison Keillor at a performance at the Palace Theater in Louisville once and ad-libbed the whole thing. Not looking at the audience's eyes helped me get thru that!

It wasn't really that I couldn't look them in the eyes, it was more like I was concentrating too hard on playing and just wasn't able to look up. I wanted to look, I just couldn't right then.
Garrison Keillor, that's huge. I had to google him because I'm horrible at celebrity names, but once I saw that he was the Prairie Home Companion guy my mind was blasted :bowdown: I used to listen with my dad all the time. I like the News from Lake Wobegon.

congrats!!! open mics are GREAT!! that is how i first got started! it was about 2.5 years go when i first played.. it was guitar.. and i played one verse of a bob dylan song! just one verse! and then about 3 weeks later.. at the end of the same open mic i did one full song "shelter from the storm" we had the open mic every wed! after a while they asked me to take over hosting one of the weeks.. i always find it funny when i am hosting things.. i am often the worst person there!! but it is all in fun!! after a while.. i kind of liked looking at peoples eyes.. it was an odd connection with them..

if anyone is in Kansas City and wants to play.. i host www.myspace.com/kcmidtownopenmic

come play!!

and once again congrats!!!

Thanks alot. I wish I could come and check out your place. Next time I'm in Kansas, I'm there (the first time I'm in Kansas, I'm there?)

woohoooo open mics are always fun! but i definitely understand the nervousness you get when you're up on stage. try blowing on your thumb before you go on stage, it works wonders

like to blow up your muscles? pump them up?

Top Bottom