Best way to store the ukulele

Hogger

Reaction score
I tried searching but didn't come up with much.
What's the best way to store the uke?
Is leaning it up against a wall OK, should you hang it from the head, lay it on it's back... What's best?

In my opinion, optimal would be to get a case for it and lay the instrument on it's back.
I worked in an instrument repair shop for years, and things can go wrong hanging an instrument on the wall or leaning it. The most typical disasters are the instrument falling and the neck or headstock breaking, or (probably not a ukulele issue) the weight of the body being too much for the headstock cracking it or ripping off a tuner.

I see you're in Kennewick - environment's pretty dry there. Storing your ukulele in its case with a humidifier will give you a lot better method to control the humidity. It's especially important with an all-solid instrument, but it will help all of them to keep their climates controlled.

The best way to store a ukulele is in a hard case. Don't forget, however, that it is essential to check it every day - at least once a day. Take from the case, check that it is still in tune, play it for at least half an hour. Then store it away in its case again.

That way it knows you still love it, and it won't pine. (or spruce, or cedar, or------)

Ukantor.

hard cases are the way to go. very easy to travel with and don't have to worry about it getting crushed.

Yeh. Case. Hardcase if possible, but at very least one of the rigid foam ones for a decent solid wood uke. A humidity monitor and humidfier is a good idea, when needed.

Although, if your house offers a stable and healthy (for wood) humidity/temperature combination, a firm stand is a good indoor alternative, because the more you see your uke the more you'll play it!

Cheap plywood ukes are usually very sturdy. They should just be kept leaning up against your favourite chair/coffee table/bookcase where they are within reach at all times! :shaka:

Is there an acceptable humidity level? We have a hygrometer in our house that's part of a clock. It's been reading around 40%-50%.
*Revise. That was just after my wife had a shower, closer to 30% now.

Last edited:
40%-60% is good. You should have a case humidifier if it is under 40%.

I fully agree that a hard case is safest. However, for me having it readily at hand means I pick it up and play it on impulse more than I would if I had to get it out of its case.

hard case with a humidifier for my pono

Top Bottom