Hard case for solids necessary?

Reaction score
Hi there,

I just purchased a solid acacia concert, and I have a new Oasis humidifier for it -- do I need a hard case to keep the uke safe? Weather and humidity wise, it gets up to about 100 in the summer and humidity is very low. Winters are pretty mild but still not much humidity. I have a mini-humidifier running all the time, but it probably doesn't cover my entire studio. I mostly have my window open during the day when the weather is warm.

Also planning to buy a mahogany from Mainland and same question applies. Right now I have one gig bag and a Uke Crazy hard case. BTW, which case would accommodate the long neck Concert?

Thanks all!

I live in SoCal where humidity gets low naturally, and I don't have a humidifier in the house, so I use humidifiers in my solid-wood instruments and keep them in their cases. If your room humidifier and HVAC are doing well by you, I expect you'll be okay, but a case will always keep a uke safer.

If you're concerned about accessibility, I recommend a hard case with latches, as opposed to a Uke Crazy or other zipper-close case. Both will do the job (although I have issues with the Uke Crazy's neck support) but I find latches faster and less cumbersome than zippers, so I'm more likely to take the uke out and more likely to put it away. Of course, YMMV.

To find the right case for any uke, it's best to ask people who sell them, or at least get the internal dimensions, because the neck length isn't the only possible issue. For example, my new Pono tenor will not fit in the ProTec Max case I bought with my Mainland tenor because the Pono's body is too big.

I definitely recommend a hard case. Protect your investment and control humidity levels easier. I like the Planet Waves Humidipak system, since it takes the guesswork out.

Thank you for your answers -- I also just bought some Humidipak to try out. How many of those do I put in a zippered case for a concert or a tenor? Also, I've noticed that some people talk about putting both a Humidipak and a humidifier to make it last longer and keep the pack from going dry. What is your experience?

Thank you for your answers -- I also just bought some Humidipak to try out. How many of those do I put in a zippered case for a concert or a tenor? Also, I've noticed that some people talk about putting both a Humidipak and a humidifier to make it last longer and keep the pack from going dry. What is your experience?

To get the hang of how much humidification, I suggest getting a hygrometer. They're not necessarily expensive (you can get something digital for about $10-$15) and it'll give you some reassurance. It takes the guesswork out.

Build a humidity cabinet. If I kept my ukes in cases they'd get played less and that's just reality.

I usually use two with a uke. One at the soundhole and the other under the neck in the case. I have used a humidifier in addition to the humidipaks with a guitar. In that case, I think I used one less Humidipak. Normally a guitar would get three. It doesn't get exceptionally dry for me though. So I think it can vary. If your paks dry up really fast, add another in. I would also store one Humidipak I had as a spare in a sealed plastic back with a humidifier..Then it recharges the Humidipak...so long as you don't let it get completely dry first.
The great thing about those paks is that they can add OR take away moisture as needed. That puts them way ahead of other humidifier systems.

Last edited:
...and this pretty much reinforces why I'm going for laminates/solid bodies from now on, living in Arizona (land of no humidity)!

+1 on get a good hard case and have a soundhole humidifier and a case one. For a meter I have oasis in one ukulele case and went to Home Depot and got a second one for one third of the price ($9.97) and both work fine. I find a hard case with latches is easier to humidify than a hard foam case and as mentioned they are much easier to get you ukulele in and out of the case. A display case with built in humidity control is on my list.

Forgot to mention....... I live in same conditions weather & humidity wise that you describe!

+1 on get a good hard case and have a soundhole humidifier and a case one. For a meter I have oasis in one ukulele case and went to Home Depot and got a second one for one third of the price ($9.97) and both work fine. I find a hard case with latches is easier to humidify than a hard foam case and as mentioned they are much easier to get you ukulele in and out of the case. A display case with built in humidity control is on my list.

Largely agree. Just one small word of caution. Be careful with soundhole humidifiers. Mishaps can occur. If carrying the instrument with it in (accidentally or on purpose) can lead to it leaking. The Oasis ones get slightly porous after a long time.

yes never hurts to have more added
protection from cracking and humidity....you did not mention where you live..hmmmm
its like buying insurance...you never know when you need it.. but if something happens you are protected, keep your anxiety level at bay...

Top Bottom