PDA

View Full Version : Weird thing to love about uke playing?

mama207
03-30-2015, 03:40 PM
I love a lot of thing about this new hobby of mine playing the ukulele, but is it weird that one of the most rewarding things for me is when after practicing I start to get how to coordinate the rhythms of singing a song's lyrics with my strumming? I find it challenging and fun and it makes me so happy when it finally starts to click for a song.

turtledrum
03-31-2015, 01:59 AM
Finding the right strum for a vocal is so rewarding! I think experimenting with this can be lots of fun and help us to see songs we've heard before in new ways. Listening to ukulele clips on YouTube, and watching videos posted on this site helps with this also!

Ukejenny
03-31-2015, 03:00 AM
Agreed, that is a very good and satisfying feeling, when you start to really get into the groove with a song.

mikelz777
03-31-2015, 06:55 AM
I had this experience when trying to figure out Springsteen's "Working On The Highway". It only has
4 simple chords but it was difficult to get the words/timing/strums to work so it sounded right, particularly the little tag he puts at the end of each verse in the song. Springsteen likes to use a lot of words so making the verses work can sometimes be a challenge. I'll usually save the song until I've sung several others so I'm warmed up but it's a lot of fun to play when the timing and strumming click.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9NfXpAs-9U

Mik
04-01-2015, 07:05 AM
So true! I had the hardest time looking for the "right" unique strum for me on the "You Can't Hurry Love" and "I Believe in Music", and when I finally did, it felt really great (especially harmonizing and blending the strumming with singing).

mama207
04-01-2015, 07:36 AM
Nice to know it's not so weird :)

It's also great when people spontaneously start to clap, smile, and dance when I am practicing! (just family member so very friendly audience, but still, it's authentic joy!)

Another hard thing is remember to breathe while singing and playing lol - hard to coordinate that too - funny how much better the singing sounds when you breath ;) !

mikelz777
04-01-2015, 08:26 AM
Another hard thing is remember to breathe while singing and playing lol - hard to coordinate that too - funny how much better the singing sounds when you breath ;) !

It seems pretty basic to remember to breathe but I forget fairly often and end up trying to choke out the end of a line or end up skipping a couple of words to catch a breath.

Mik
04-01-2015, 08:33 AM
It seems pretty basic to remember to breathe but I forget fairly often and end up trying to choke out the end of a line or end up skipping a couple of words to catch a breath.

I know exactly what you mean! In my case, it's not that I forget, my issue is that I get so carried away with my singing and strumming especially when I do a repertoire of fast beat songs like "Build me Up Buttercup" or "You can't Hurry Love." :rolleyes:

mama207
04-02-2015, 07:52 AM
For all other singer and strummers, I just noticed there is a "Singing" sub-forum with tips on improving singing - think I need to spend some time there - so much to learn! - this forum is great !

sryoder
04-02-2015, 11:08 AM

SO glad to find out I'm not the only short-of-breath singer out there.