Weird thing to love about uke playing?

mama207

Reaction score
I love a lot of thing about this new hobby of mine playing the ukulele, but is it weird that one of the most rewarding things for me is when after practicing I start to get how to coordinate the rhythms of singing a song's lyrics with my strumming? I find it challenging and fun and it makes me so happy when it finally starts to click for a song.

Agreed, that is a very good and satisfying feeling, when you start to really get into the groove with a song.

I had this experience when trying to figure out Springsteen's "Working On The Highway". It only has
4 simple chords but it was difficult to get the words/timing/strums to work so it sounded right, particularly the little tag he puts at the end of each verse in the song. Springsteen likes to use a lot of words so making the verses work can sometimes be a challenge. I'll usually save the song until I've sung several others so I'm warmed up but it's a lot of fun to play when the timing and strumming click.

Last edited:
So true! I had the hardest time looking for the "right" unique strum for me on the "You Can't Hurry Love" and "I Believe in Music", and when I finally did, it felt really great (especially harmonizing and blending the strumming with singing).

Nice to know it's not so weird :)

It's also great when people spontaneously start to clap, smile, and dance when I am practicing! (just family member so very friendly audience, but still, it's authentic joy!)

Another hard thing is remember to breathe while singing and playing lol - hard to coordinate that too - funny how much better the singing sounds when you breath ;) !

Another hard thing is remember to breathe while singing and playing lol - hard to coordinate that too - funny how much better the singing sounds when you breath ;) !

It seems pretty basic to remember to breathe but I forget fairly often and end up trying to choke out the end of a line or end up skipping a couple of words to catch a breath.

It seems pretty basic to remember to breathe but I forget fairly often and end up trying to choke out the end of a line or end up skipping a couple of words to catch a breath.

I know exactly what you mean! In my case, it's not that I forget, my issue is that I get so carried away with my singing and strumming especially when I do a repertoire of fast beat songs like "Build me Up Buttercup" or "You can't Hurry Love." :rolleyes:

For all other singer and strummers, I just noticed there is a "Singing" sub-forum with tips on improving singing - think I need to spend some time there - so much to learn! - this forum is great !

SO glad to find out I'm not the only short-of-breath singer out there.

Top Bottom