Pono Classic or Romero Creation super tenor?

Brenda Wong

Reaction score
I hope you can help me with a decision.
I fall in love with the sound of this GRAND TENOR by Romero Creation. Its $899U.S. I like the rich guitar sound. I did not have the privilege to try it out when I was at HMS so I have no idea how 'heavy' (in weight) this is comparing to the PONO that I tried.
I found PONO heavy but thats not the deal breaker because heavy could mean less chance of sliding off my lap?

QUESTION 1

I play finger style. This Romero Creation has wider neck that means it is great for finger picking style but also mean more effort to stretch my fingers. The question is: is the extra neck width on this model very noticeable to the point that is too wide for small hand? My new Kaneilia concert neck is small , I found it very difficult to play so I thought may be a wider neck is easier?

Also, do you know the name of the song that Corey plays in the sound sample (see link below)?

QUESTION 2

For the same $899 price range , do I get more for the buck if I go with a Pono Classic? If yes which model would you recommend that has similar sound?

QUESTION 3
If I want to go cheap:

For half the price, do you think the Tiny Tenor is a better option ? I am just afraid it is more for strumming because of the shape?

Here is the model I am interested in:
http://www.theukulelesite.com/romero-creations-spruce-rosewood-grand-tenor-package.html

Last edited:
Also, do you know the name of the song that Corey plays in the sound sample (see link below)?

Beach Boys - Sloop John B (I Wanna Go Home)

For questions #1 thru #3, I'd call Andrew for his recommendation.

Best of luck!

Last edited:
Beach Boys - Sloop John B (I Wanna Go Home)

For questions #1 thru #3, I'd call Andrew for his recommendation.

Best of luck!

Thank you. Look like he just made up the solo tabs in his head. No tabs found on the internet . Only chords.

Doesn't the Kanilea concert have the same width at the nut? (1.5 inches) If the Kanilea is too small, is your Kala tenor also too small?

And that doesn't sound like "Sloop John B" to me.

Doesn't the Kanilea concert have the same width at the nut? (1.5 inches) If the Kanilea is too small, is your Kala tenor also too small?

And that doesn't sound like "Sloop John B" to me.

Kanilea neck is small . I kick myself for not buying a tenor . Reason I chose the concert is because I thought it would be easier on challenging chord but that's not the case at all. When the neck is narrow and the frets are small, they are more difficult to play. I should have known coming from playing classical guitar.
Kala tenor neck is narrow as well but much more comfortable than a concert size. Reason I want to buy a new tenor because this Kala is a used and the string is buzzes from time to time although the sound quality is excellent.

Kanilea neck is small . I kick myself for not buying a tenor . Reason I chose the concert is because I thought it would be easier on challenging chord but that's not the case at all. When the neck is narrow and the frets are small, they are more difficult to play. I should have known coming from playing classical guitar.
Kala tenor neck is narrow as well but much more comfortable than a concert size. Reason I want to buy a new tenor because this Kala is a used and the string is buzzes from time to time although the sound quality is excellent.

Like I said, I think Kanilea's concert ukes' nut widths are the same as the Grand Tenor (hopefully someone will jump all over me if I'm wrong). As for going through the rest of the fretboard, I don't know how the width compares at the 12th fret, for example.

Kanilea has a 1.5 inch nut width on the concert which is as wider or wider than most tenors. I'm a little perplexed why you think it is a small neck. The vertical spacing on the frets is standard concert size. I generally find that chords that need more space are playable on the Kanilea concert more easily than standard concert necks because the Kanileas is wider. I also found the Kanilea tenor a little too wide so it was uncomfortable. There should be enough room on the Kanilea concert so I'm puzzled.

I think maybe it's both nut width and fretboard length at issue here, and Brenda might be satisfied with a uke with more space all around, like the Kanilea tenor and the RC grand tenor have.

Kanilea has a 1.5 inch nut width on the concert which is as wider or wider than most tenors. I'm a little perplexed why you think it is a small neck. The vertical spacing on the frets is standard concert size. I generally find that chords that need more space are playable on the Kanilea concert more easily than standard concert necks because the Kanileas is wider. I also found the Kanilea tenor a little too wide so it was uncomfortable. There should be enough room on the Kanilea concert so I'm puzzled.

I think you answered your question without realizing it. Bet you this has nothing to do with width and everything to do with the smaller vertical spacing between the frets of a standard concert length neck compared to a standard tenor length neck. I play tenor much easier because there is more room between the frets compared to a concert and then again compared to a soprano. Brenda was just not using the correct terminalogy.

She was comparing concert length to tenor length, that is why the interest in the Romero Tiny Tenor

Last edited:

I picked the Kanilea because the frets are more comfortable than other concert size. I must measure the tenor (Kala) to the Kanilea and see if it's the same width. Stay tune.

I think you answered your question without realizing it. Bet you this has nothing to do with width and everything to do with the smaller vertical spacing between the frets of a standard concert length neck compared to a standard tenor length neck. I play tenor much easier because there is more room between the frets compared to a concert and then again compared to a soprano. Brenda was just not using the correct terminalogy.

She was comparing concert length to tenor length, that is why the interest in the Romero Tiny Tenor

Dave you are my best translator. LOL Yes yes yes yes yes yes.

I hope someone will reply to my question if this grand tenor is heavier than Pono and his/her recommendation on a PONO in the same price range.
It's so hard to place an order without seeing it in person.

I bet Corey made up the tune in his head. Let's me email him .

It was posted on the first page, it's called "Island Style."

I think asking the retailer or manufacturer about weight differences will help. Not sure too many UUers have held the grand tenor. Keep in mind the nut width of a Pono is the same as your Kala.

It was posted on the first page, it's called "Island Style."

I think asking the retailer or manufacturer about weight differences will help. Not sure too many UUers have held the grand tenor. Keep in mind the nut width of a Pono is the same as your Kala.

I just emailed Zach at HMS. Let's see what he say. I just thought someone own a Grand Tenor can give me an advice.

Top Bottom