Alulu cracked soundboard

dwh

Reaction score
I bought a guitarlele from Taisamlu on "that" auction site two months ago. It showed up quickly. I did have to do a bit of a set up on it adjusting the nut and sanding the saddle quite a bit. I've been playing it all the time, and have really been enjoying it. . It sounds very decent and is pretty darn well made. Yesterday, I noticed a new soundboard crack running from the bridge diagonally down the grain to the bottom edge binding.
I contacted Taisamlu and sent him a picture of the crack. He apologized and asked what I thought he should refund me. The instrument still plays ok, however, I'm afraid the crack is going to grow and get worse over time.
I'm not quite sure how to respond to him. Should I ask for a partial refund, a discount on a uke, a full refund, or ????? I only paid $240 shipped.
I'm perplexed as how to proceed. Any advice appreciated!

Last edited:
I think I would take it to my luthier, find out how much it would take to repair and use that as the refund amount...if I liked the uke, I'd then use the money to actually fix it, but that's just me...

I agree with OSUker, if you really like the piece & sound etc then it is worth fixin with HIS money. Good luck with it

Humidify the instrument properly first this will happen with any Vietnam built air dried instrument. Both mine developed cracks that closed with humidification. I tapped a little tightbond in for good measure.

Try to keep it in your case whenever you're not playing it as well.
Surprisingly, my Alulu and Bruceweiart ukes didn't have cracks. It was my Luna and Lanikai instead :p Humidifying it fixed them right up.

I would send it back and get a new uke..he pays for the shipping too....or just get a refund and try something different...the humidity in Vietnam is too high...or the wood was not dried properly...so when you bring it to Long Beach it cracks...even if you repair the crack it could happen somewhere else on the uke....

if it is solid wood...use a humidifier....

my 2 cents

I have three ukes and one u-bass all solid wood custom made in Vietnam by Bruce Wei. When my Lanikai monkey pod cracked the exact same way while I was in the middle of putting together a humidified display shelf, I scrambled to finish it. I make sure to keep all my ukes there when I'm not playing.

I always keep an oasis humidifier in my Koaloha and Kamaka uke cases. I guess I should have got a handful of humidifiers... last time I only bought 2. I don't want to be unreasonable, but I do not feel I should have to deal with a cracked instrument 7 weeks after purchase. He asked me what I think a fair refund is...I'm not sure!

if the uke was built in Vietnam.....the RH there is 90%....too wet.. IMO

So you are saying nobody should build in Vietnam then? Or its the builders fault a solid wood ukulele cracked? I'm confused at what exactly your saying. I do believe Alulu's come from Taiwan anyhow.

I find this thought enlightening.

"Caring For Your Uke"

"Owning a fine instrument, such as a Pono ukulele, requires a lot of responsibility. If they’re not cared for, the price will be paid in the form of cracked and warped wood and, eventually, an instrument whose playability is severely diminished."

http://www.easyukulele.com/pono-ukulele.html

So you are saying nobody should build in Vietnam then? Or its the builders fault a solid wood ukulele cracked? I'm confused at what exactly your saying. I do believe Alulu's come from Taiwan anyhow.

I find this thought enlightening.

"Caring For Your Uke"

"Owning a fine instrument, such as a Pono ukulele, requires a lot of responsibility. If they’re not cared for, the price will be paid in the form of cracked and warped wood and, eventually, an instrument whose playability is severely diminished."

http://www.easyukulele.com/pono-ukulele.html

sorry for the confusion...I read somewhere on another post that these ukes were made in Vietnam...I have no clue where they are built....
I know in Vietnam it is not dry though.....I was just trying to answer your post on RH under 45%...

looking back at post #4 on this thread...it seems like you are the one that made me believe these were made in Vietnam....:)

but I will not post on this thread anymore as not trying to cause problems,.....

Last edited:
Taisamlu who's luthiers make the Alulu instruments is in Taiwan. I'm not sure where the wood is source. However, I do think a crack appearing 7 weeks after any instrument arrives is too soon no matter where it is made. I'm not concerned about cause or blame, sure I reckon I should have put a humidifier in the case, I didn't. I am just wondering what would be considered fair compensation as the seller wants me to tell him what kind of refund I expect. Am I too gather from the discussion that no type of refund should be rendered, because I was an idiot to not humidify the instrument upon delivery?

Posts 2 and 3 said to get an estimate from your luthier for repair and use that as the amount.

Post 6 said to ask for a replacement with the seller paying for all shipping.

Those both sound like reasonable ideas to me. That the seller asked what would make you happy makes me hopeful that the seller would also find those reasonable ideas.

that the seller is willing to work with you is a good sign. Easily could have blamed it on 'user error' or humidification issues and left you holding the bag.

Posts 2 and 3 said to get an estimate from your luthier for repair and use that as the amount.

Post 6 said to ask for a replacement with the seller paying for all shipping.

Those both sound like reasonable ideas to me. That the seller asked what would make you happy makes me hopeful that the seller would also find those reasonable ideas.

Top Bottom