Heavy VS light

Nickie

Reaction score
I think everyone should read Barry's post before buying that first uke:

http://www.gotaukulele.com/2015/03/what-do-you-mean-by-over-built-ukuleles.html

Link not working for me.

Tah for that.......I totally agree

As a guitarist and a pro muso, I've purchased and own many quality highend guitars. But I also purchased many cheap laminated guitars when I started my music career.

But it doesn't mean that laminate is bad sounding. I have had some that were just music to the ear. And then, I also have had highends that just sounded dead. But I have to agree, depends who the builder/maker is, 'quality' always sounds/plays better and makes life easier. But 'quality' also comes with a price.

I guess this applies to all instruments including ukuleles. When I started my uke venture, I had to re-think my strategies.......do I want to be a pro uke player or just a past time player. Well I'm still not sure what I want, but one thing I do know, I definitely can hear a big difference in a cheap to a highend uke. But hey, I'm not knocking other brands, each to their own.

Anyway, this led me to purchase some nice ukes eg Martins, Kamakas, Kaneile'a, Maton, Kiwaya and many Japanese built ukes. The craftsmanship, quality, wood sound/tone, lightness and a dream to play so to speak is all there in a quality uke.

Playing my Kiwaya, makes everyday a perfect day. So light and the tone is just music to the ear. I'm blessed.

Last edited:
And then you have something like my KPK solid acacia concert come along. Overbuilt? feels like it, but tone and projection wise, it's the equal of ukes costing hundreds more. Soundboard isn't too thick though, but as for a concert size uke, it is rather heavy.

Well, Nickie, I just read the fine article you posted and found it very interesting, but with more reasons for me to refrain from buying any more wooden ukuleles. It suggests that we should now study up on how thick the wood is, its weight and just generally more fretting (Ha!) about it before we even buy--not my cup of tea.

Anyway, I enjoyed the article, Nickie, thanks. :eek:ld:

Overbuilt is a tricky topic, because it's more of a opinion than measurable.
Like.. is a Pono overbuilt? There will be people on both sides of that answer.

Overbuilt is a tricky topic, because it's more of a opinion than measurable.
Like.. is a Pono overbuilt? There will be people on both sides of that answer.

Well, I believe a word to the wise is sufficient. And debating wood thickness and weight is not for me. :eek:ld:

And then you have something like my KPK solid acacia concert come along. Overbuilt? feels like it, but tone and projection wise, it's the equal of ukes costing hundreds more. Soundboard isn't too thick though, but as for a concert size uke, it is rather heavy.

My KPK tenor doesn't feel overbuilt, but perhaps I've never played a really lightly built professional ukulele? I've played a few Kamakas. I totally agree with you about the tone and projection - glorious. And it is beautiful. And it is heaven to hold and play.

Heavier ukes can produce a deep richer tone too with volume.. it is up to the luthier and his build style and preferences ....

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing.

The nature of the blog was, of course, a generalisation - it has to be. There can be decent heavyweights out there, but on the whole I note a prevalence of thick heavy over braced ukes at the cheaper end - usually those covered in ultra thick glosses and billed prominently as 'i'm solid wood' - that concern me. Some are dead as bricks.

The point really is that construction is indeed key. I've played thin laminates with more tone and projection than some over built solids.

Sure, exceptions to every rule, but I think it's a good thing to consider when buying, not just whether the uke is 'solid or not'.

Top Bottom