Attending my First Reno Ukulele Festival

rockyl

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Like it says, I'm attending my first Reno Ukulele Festival at the end of this month. Anyone else going? Any suggestions on how to make the most of the experience?
--Rocky

Hi Rockyl,

I'll be going for the second time this year.

It was such a blast, got to meet a bunch of really talented players and teachers. I think that it's reasonable to expect that you'll pick up a few techniques or ideas that you can incorporate into your playing although you'll be exposed to much more. It's tough to practice anything you learn outside of the class, so sometimes things can become a blur if you're having a lot of information coming at you quickly and then off to the next class. The classes are also fairly short, so things don't ever go into as much depth as they would if you were taking lessons over an extended period of time. Most of the teachers do lessons, so you could connect with someone whose class you really like and see if you can continue via Skype.

Reasonable expectations: come away with a few new songs, a few new techniques and great enthusiasm for playing which will carry you for weeks or months afterward.

Nick

Like it says, I'm attending my first Reno Ukulele Festival at the end of this month. Anyone else going? Any suggestions on how to make the most of the experience?
--Rocky

Don't overload on workshops. There is a tendency to want to get your money's worth by taking workshop after workshop after workshop until yours eyes roll back in your head and you begin drooling late Saturday afternoon. Check the schedule in advance and highlight the workshops you REALLY want to attend. Also, if you are in a workshop and for whatever the reason it is not working for you feel free to move to a different workshop. I'll be doing Play Ukulele By Ear #1 and #2 on the Public Stage both Friday and Saturday. I hope you'll consider one of those workshops in your plans.

Don't overload on workshops. There is a tendency to want to get your money's worth by taking workshop after workshop after workshop until yours eyes roll back in your head and you begin drooling late Saturday afternoon. Check the schedule in advance and highlight the workshops you REALLY want to attend. Also, if you are in a workshop and for whatever the reason it is not working for you feel free to move to a different workshop. I'll be doing Play Ukulele By Ear #1 and #2 on the Public Stage both Friday and Saturday. I hope you'll consider one of those workshops in your plans.

I do have those two circled. See you next week!

Top Bottom