F/S Pono RTSH5 (C) Cedar Pro Classic Tenor - Beautiful

Status
Not open for further replies.

rappsy

Reaction score
I made some changes to the listing, including the heading, so I closed this.

The new listing is here

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com...-Tenor-w-Hardshell-Case&p=1679497#post1679497

***************************************************************************************************************************************************

https://plus.google.com/photos/1173...ms/6133164831677087905?authkey=CP_M8uC3n7KxNA

During my attempts to purchase the elusive and mythical "The One", I have bought a number of Ukes in the last few months. I am narrowing it down as I get closer

I have three different Pono Tenors in three different listings and they are just about perfect. The only issue is at the bottom of the bridge where some strings snapped as I was putting them on and they left marks in the finish. Other than that, they are perfect.

First Up is the RTSH(5) (C) PC. (Cedar). (This is the 5 series. More bling on the front and their top of the line.) This has a radius fretboard. $805 + $30 CONUS shipping with the hardshell case or $770 + $20 CONUS if purchased without the case. As many of us have cases and really only need one, save by not getting it.

https://plus.google.com/photos/1173...ms/6133164831677087905?authkey=CP_M8uC3n7KxNA

There are lots of shadows in these pictures. The Uke is beautiful.

They will come with the Koolau Gold strings that were originally on them when I got it which have been taken off, although the pictures may not show these strings. (One of the sets is Low G.) You would be better off leaving the strings off and I'll include them separately in the box, so I'll send it unstrung unless you want it strung. This way you can put whatever strings you want on them. The Koolau strings are as thick as logs. <smile>

This link will take you to HMS playing one. This one is not specifically mine.

https://vimeo.com/16730526

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
Hello rappsy,

I do not want to hijack your post but I saw your are selling several Pono tenors while looking for "The One".

My question is this:
Are you trying a lot of different strings on these ukes?
I own a Pono MGT and since the purchase I have had many sets of strings to find the best tone, sustain, etc,
I have almost come full circle. After 4 more sets I will have been through all the strings I have identified as being
"mango friendly".
Why am I telling you this?
Each set of strings has changed the mango in some way: some good and some bad. Strings can make or break a uke.
That has become obvious to me. Most noticeably, the highly praised Nyltech simply muddled the mango.
I actually stopped enjoying my uke with those strings on it but as soon as I changed to the Pro Arte my mango was back. Unfortunately with a little too much on the high end. Next are the Worth browns.
Just my two cents.

Now to really hijack this thing:
Like I said, I own the MGT and my brother has the MTD; we both love our Ponos and would have a very hard time parting with either one of them.
The recordings by HMS are very accurate representations of the Pono's tonal qualities, at least concerning the MGT and the MTD.
If you are looking for "the one" then I would suggest you listen for the uke that has the tone you want and buy it.
I did months of research and talked to several uke builders and dealers before my purchase.

I am one of the few people on the UU forum who seems to NOT suffer from UAS. Sure, I like to look at what is available and I am always on the prowl for a "sleeper" baritone.
But at the end of the day I am happy playing my Pono mango tenor and only the Pono mango tenor.
It is my "the one".
And the only uke I own.

I wish you the best of luck in your quest.
With kind regards,
JJ

Last edited:
Hi JJ:

This is not taken as a 'hijack'. I take all advice and recommendations and mold them to my needs and requirements.

I did try a few different strings on these and as you pointed out, it dramatically changed the sound. The reason I have 3 is that these were all purchased locally, 2 from the same guy, who gave me a pretty good deal, and as I like to play them to actually know, I took the chance, knowing I could sell them if I didn't care for them.

I had no problem with the sound. They sounded fine. 3 different wood types for 3 different sounds. What did not change, however, was the fact they were all tenors and shaped the exact same way. The necks and the lower bouts are a bit big for me, as I like the thinness of the KoAloha and Mya-Moe. This is the main reason why I am selling it. The bigger bout helps in the sound that so many Pono lovers love and it is also great for Low G for the same reasons. It's just not for me.

I don't think I will ever be a one Uke guy. I want different sounds for different things, but one will certainly become the "goto" one.

I know finding "The One" probably won't happen in that I am having too much fun buying and selling and playing all types. The fun is the journey.

Last edited:
Which (if any) of these three beautiful ukes have the radius fretboard?

that is a beautiful looking uke!

Wow! You're listing some beautiful ukes! Lenny's a standup guy to deal with folks, I've purchased a couple dandy ukes from him ... smooth as silk transactions.

Does radius fretboard made a noticeable difference from regular fretboard?

It really depends on the type of music you play. I play a lot of barring for jazz music. So definitely. For me, yes. I find it easier to get a nice tone. Less stress in the wrist.

Is this uke still available? Call me @ 425 238 1568.

Thanks ....paul

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom