PDA

View Full Version : Top creative reasons for needing a new ukulele

Uke Republic
04-02-2015, 08:42 AM
We all need em and we all want em but whats been the most creative reason you have said or are currently saying to validate a new ukulele?

" This koa really brings out my eyes."

kkimura
04-02-2015, 08:50 AM
So, if I'm going to be in Hawai'i anyway.......

co.jp
04-02-2015, 08:54 AM
When my wife and I saw Jake a few weeks ago, I got one of my ukes signed by him. I told my wife that I had to "retire" that uke and buy a new one to replace it. After seeing him in person and after watching his documentary, she agreed (to my surprise). I gotta get more stuff signed...

wayfarer75
04-02-2015, 09:17 AM
My reasons are not creative, they are perfectly rational and defensible. ;)

photoshooter
04-02-2015, 09:24 AM
I need another tenor for low G
:)

uncle david
04-02-2015, 09:39 AM
My 3 ukes are all quite different. They're all tenor, one 4-string, one 8-string 4-course, one 6-string 6-course. Creatively, they all bring something different to the table.

Mooh
04-02-2015, 10:50 AM
Because I said so.

You're not the boss of me.

The record company will reimburse us.

Debby
04-02-2015, 10:54 AM
My other uke is lonely and needs a friend.

Debby
04-02-2015, 10:55 AM
Because ukes are like nachos; you can't have just one.

spookelele
04-02-2015, 11:34 AM
Because every dollar I spend on ukes, I'm not spending on hookers and cocaine.

janeray1940
04-02-2015, 11:42 AM
I need another tenor for low G
:)

Replace "tenor" with "concert" or even "pineapple" and that's been my excuse ever since I started playing... :)

turtledrum
04-02-2015, 11:54 AM
I don't spend as much money on shoes anymore.

janeray1940
04-02-2015, 11:56 AM
I don't spend as much money on shoes anymore.

You know... in my case that's the absolute truth :)

Patrick Madsen
04-02-2015, 12:39 PM
My wife is leaving me anyway; taking the goldmine while I get the shaft. May as well dig it a little deeper with the gold before she gets it.

Ukejenny
04-02-2015, 12:46 PM
It's an investment.

Mooh
04-02-2015, 12:59 PM
Yeah, I don't drink anymore, never smoked, don't womanize, don't gamble, the kids are grown, and I ain't gonna live forever...I'm buying another uke!

bonesigh
04-02-2015, 01:49 PM
To hubby... "I love this new plastic uke so much I don't want to take a chance leaving it in the car all year to see what will happen." Hubby..."Well, why don't you buy another." Me???????? who is this guy? YEAH!!!!!! Gota love him (: And I do love both my Kealoha's from Amazon. Now, which one will I keep in the car?

Tootler
04-02-2015, 01:51 PM
it's like this.

I have to have one in each size plus a banjo uke, then there's the Flea and the Fluke... OH! and I need them in different tunings so I can avoid awkward chords like E.... and I need a pineapple.... then there's those to play at home and those for gigging and the ones you take away for the weekend..... then sometime I'll need a 8 string....

...... :iwant:

cpmusic
04-02-2015, 02:05 PM
Wait -- you're supposed to have reasons?

deschutestrout
04-02-2015, 02:18 PM
Would you prefer I buy a bunch of large space-taker-upper guitars? Oh yeah, I do that too. Never too many.

igorthebarbarian
04-02-2015, 06:36 PM
these are wrong answers - I know from experience:
"How much money do YOU spend on purses?"
-or-
"How much money do YOU spend on shoes?"

KaraUkey
04-02-2015, 10:13 PM
I caught UAS here on this forum. It should have a health warning. I actually had to count these, there are now 3 sopranos, 1 les paul concert, 2 Tenors, a Cordoba guilele, a Southern Cross Banjolele (beautiful instrument, hand made by Dennis) and I still have my 3 guitars not to mention my PC's mixers amps and a couple of keyboards. Wow no wonder it's getting a bit crowded in here. I did a UAS Ukulele spoof on Hey Soul Sister for my Uke group. It's called Hey Sold Sticker. So maybe UAS does make you creative?? Lol

Hey Sold Sticker

[C] [C] Ooo [G] oo, oo oo oo [Am] oo, Uku le [F] le

[C] U A S [G] it's an affliction that I [Am] can't explain [F]
It gets me when I'm [C] sleeping
or even when I'm [G] talking all the [Am] time [F] [G7]
I [C] see a uke
[G] I can imagine that I'm [Am] holding it in my [F] arms
and I know that when I [C] try it I'm gonna have to [G] buy it
It happens all the [Am] time [F] [G7]

[F] Hey Sold Sticker [G7] you've just killed the [C] flicker of [G7] hope that I
might [F] get that uke coz [G7] someone else has [C] stuck you on it
[F] Hey Sold Sticker [G7] I just went and [C] missed the [G7] uke sale [F] of the year [G7]
to [C]day [C] Ooo [G] oo, oo oo oo [Am] oo, Uku le [F] le

[C] In my house [G] I've got a whole room [Am] filling up with [F] ukuleles
they're hanging on the [C] walls They're blocking up the [G] doors
But I don't [Am] mind [F]
I'm [C] so impressed [G] I start to play even be[Am]fore
I'm dressed for the [F] day
and you know that it's [C] true
I've stuck on a lot like [G] you
I'm just saying I'll be [Am] playing [F] all the [G7] time

[F] Hey Sold Sticker [G7] you've just killed the [C] flicker of [G7] hope that I
[F] Hey Sold Sticker [G7] I just went and [C] missed the [G7] uke sale [F] of the year [G7]
to [C]day [C] [G] [Am] [F] [F] [C] [G] [Am] [F] [F]

to [C]day
to [C]day [C] Ooo [G] oo, oo oo oo [Am] oo, Uku le [F] le (slowly) It's [C] gone

drbekken
04-03-2015, 12:48 AM
I'll quote my favorite Doctor; Dr John The Night Tripper: "If I don't do it, somebody else will."

Fred Ukestone
04-03-2015, 01:40 AM
I'm not sure who this guy in the photo is but he seems to have found the best room to play in. I think he's saying to the wife, darling if you can buy a closet full of shoes then.....78058

ukulelekarcsi
04-03-2015, 01:45 AM
I'm taking up juggling. So i need at least three, and perhaps a spare as well.

DownUpDave
04-03-2015, 02:53 AM
Time to go old school, for all you Flip Wilson fans............" the devil made me do it"

I can now hear this whistling over the heads of everybody under the age of 50.

hollisdwyer
04-03-2015, 03:09 AM
I'll quote my favorite Doctor; Dr John The Night Tripper: "If I don't do it, somebody else will."

Yeah, Jim might do it.

Icelander53
04-03-2015, 03:39 AM
We all need em and we all want em but whats been the most creative reason you have said or are currently saying to validate a new ukulele?

" This koa really brings out my eyes."

'I'm up a creek without a paddle.'

spookelele
04-03-2015, 03:42 AM
Wait -- you're supposed to have reasons?
more like an excuse.

Ukejenny
04-03-2015, 04:43 AM
Time to go old school, for all you Flip Wilson fans............" the devil made me do it"

I can now hear this whistling over the heads of everybody under the age of 50.

This 45 year old totally got it.

Ukejenny
04-03-2015, 04:44 AM
because i can

kkimura
04-03-2015, 06:23 AM
Just one more. This is the last one, I promise.

turtledrum
04-03-2015, 06:50 AM
This one is going to be worth a whole lot of money down the line.

wolfchs
04-03-2015, 07:02 AM
I know this will seem so bad to some but my last purchase after a long begging session turned out to be my "carrying a baby in my belly for nine months reward"... The baby (still in my belly) is the ultimate reward in itself but the uke is just something to hold me off until the baby arrives next month :o

Booli
04-03-2015, 02:05 PM
whats been the most creative reason you have said or are currently saying to validate a new ukulele?

[Disclaimer: no offense meant to bagpipe lovers.]

Said to 'her' by me:

"Well, it's either yet ANOTHER ukulele, or I obsessively pursue my long-lost (and completely imagined) Celtic (and/or [also imagined] Persian) musical heritage via collecting and playing the bagpipes at extreme volume all hours of the day and night, critics be damned!

So, YOU choose, another ukulele or Celtic INSANITY!"

Grumbling, muttering and some creative profanity about extortion and 'being UNFAIR', she said:

"Fine then, you can HAVE another one of your stupid little ukuleles."

The lesser of two evils always works for me. This is the 3rd time I've threatened to take up the bagpipes and she has not caught on as of yet. :)

Nickie
04-03-2015, 04:32 PM
This actually worked:
"This one hurts my hand, while that one doesn't, so I need it to help me get used to this one."

Next I might try:
"Look, I have an empty case." (Never mind why I got it)

Booli
04-03-2015, 04:55 PM
Because I need one in EACH and every _(fill in selection from below)__ .

color - scale length - tuning - alternate tuning (F6, G6, A6, Bb, C6, D6) & all reentrant/linear/fifths variants of each -
tonewood - laminate - wood combo - different type(s) of string materials - banjolele/resonator/u-bass/solid-body electro/travel -
custom build - factory brand - 'room in the house' - vehicle

I have 16 ukes so far in pursuit of the above, and I'm not NEARLY done yet...LOL!
:music: