two more songs - your comments, please

janeray1940

Reaction score
Last week in another thread I shared a couple of songs from a friend - we've taken those down, but have posted two more here. As with the previous two, there is ukulele on both but they are not exclusively "ukulele songs." Please give them a listen and let us know what you think! Thanks for your feedback :)

Hi Janeray-

These are great. I am happy to help...

On Love Street: The beginning intro reminds me of that song 'Love Will Keep Us Together', but then goes in a totally different direction, which I kind of liked. The wedding bells in the background is a nice touch. The overall song performance and musical arrangement has elements of The Beatles, Electric Light Orchestra (ELO/Geoff Lynn), as well as reminds me a bit of Roy Orbison. It's very catchy tune. I could see this definitely on the radio or as something played during the opening credits of a romantic comedy film. I like this one a lot too.

Lady Gardenia: First, let me say that I like the music quite a bit, but I am having a hard time with the vocal performance. It sound like either autotune was used too aggressively, with it's artificial vibrato turned up too much, or that the singer has trouble with his pitch confidence and the pitch of the vocal seems to warble a bit both above and below the 'intended' pitch. If the singer could perform it 'straight' without too much vocal effects and/or no vocal affectations, I think the vocal would come across much better.

These are great demos. Regardless of my criticism, I'd still be interested to hear more songs in the future, and later buy a CD from this artist. There is a lot of songwriting talent here, as well as a very palatable and enjoyable vocal (at least in the 2 songs from last time and the first song here). This artist has lots of potential. :)

Hi Janeray-

These are great. I am happy to help...

On Love Street: The beginning intro reminds me of that song 'Love Will Keep Us Together', but then goes in a totally different direction, which I kind of liked. The wedding bells in the background is a nice touch. The overall song performance and musical arrangement has elements of The Beatles, Electric Light Orchestra (ELO/Geoff Lynn), as well as reminds me a bit of Roy Orbison. It's very catchy tune. I could see this definitely on the radio or as something played during the opening credits of a romantic comedy film. I like this one a lot too.

Lady Gardenia: First, let me say that I like the music quite a bit, but I am having a hard time with the vocal performance. It sound like either autotune was used too aggressively, with it's artificial vibrato turned up too much, or that the singer has trouble with his pitch confidence and the pitch of the vocal seems to warble a bit both above and below the 'intended' pitch. If the singer could perform it 'straight' without too much vocal effects and/or no vocal affectations, I think the vocal would come across much better.

These are great demos. Regardless of my criticism, I'd still be interested to hear more songs in the future, and later buy a CD from this artist. There is a lot of songwriting talent here, as well as a very palatable and enjoyable vocal (at least in the 2 songs from last time and the first song here). This artist has lots of potential. :)

Thanks Booli, I'll pass your comments along - I really do hope there will be a CD in the future. I appreciate the feedback, criticism or not, as we're really trying to determine if there's a market for this rather unclassifiable music... considering much of Billboard Hot 100 right now, one has to wonder! :)

Thanks Booli, I'll pass your comments along - I really do hope there will be a CD in the future. I appreciate the feedback, criticism or not, as we're really trying to determine if there's a market for this rather unclassifiable music... considering much of Billboard Hot 100 right now, one has to wonder! :)

That's the big question. The music seems niche specific as some comments are relating to music from the past. For the first song, I could see Jeff Lynne making this song but he has the name so some people will buy it but I'm not sure if another singer could sell it. This artist would have been perfect with the Traveling Wilburys. If he wants to take less of a financial risk, then he should start a kickstarter campaign and see the response. Good luck.

That's the big question. The music seems niche specific as some comments are relating to music from the past. For the first song, I could see Jeff Lynne making this song but he has the name so some people will buy it but I'm not sure if another singer could sell it. This artist would have been perfect with the Traveling Wilburys. If he wants to take less of a financial risk, then he should start a kickstarter campaign and see the response. Good luck.

Thanks Daniel. The beauty of it is that there's probably a niche for everything these days; I guess that's one of the up-sides of the internet (among all the down-sides I can think of when it comes to the impact the web has had on music). I might be wrong, but I take the comments relating to music from the past as a way of identifying the demographic for this music; I'm going to take a wild guess that the people who have responded are all, like the artist and like myself, "of a certain age" and maybe are looking to hear something they can relate to more than, say, Rihanna's latest... :)

Thanks Daniel. The beauty of it is that there's probably a niche for everything these days; I guess that's one of the up-sides of the internet (among all the down-sides I can think of when it comes to the impact the web has had on music). I might be wrong, but I take the comments relating to music from the past as a way of identifying the demographic for this music; I'm going to take a wild guess that the people who have responded are all, like the artist and like myself, "of a certain age" and maybe are looking to hear something they can relate to more than, say, Rihanna's latest... :)

If you like Marvin Gaye and Tom Petty, you can just listen to Robin Thicke and Sam Smith since their songs are similar; the courts agree too :p

If you like Marvin Gaye and Tom Petty, you can just listen to Robin Thicke and Sam Smith since their songs are similar; the courts agree too :p

I must have a really, really bad ear, because I couldn't hear the similarities in either of those cases... but then I couldn't get through more than, say, 14 seconds of "Blurred Lines." :)

"Of a certain age" is such a gentle way to put it. Thank you. So, of the two songs in the previous thread, I heard one as a standard old English music hall piece. The other could have been on the Who's "Tommy" album. I was surprised to hear so many Beatles references.

These two both sound as if they could have been written and sung by George Harrison. Yeah, Beatles or Traveling Wilburys.

Did the artist grow up in Great Britain or was he here for the British invasion during the '60s?

A CD in the future? How dated is that? I've purchased exactly one album on iTunes. This could be the second. Let us know when it drops.

"Of a certain age" is such a gentle way to put it. Thank you. So, of the two songs in the previous thread, I heard one as a standard old English music hall piece. The other could have been on the Who's "Tommy" album. I was surprised to hear so many Beatles references.

These two both sound as if they could have been written and sung by George Harrison. Yeah, Beatles or Traveling Wilburys.

Did the artist grow up in Great Britain or was he here for the British invasion during the '60s?

A CD in the future? How dated is that? I've purchased exactly one album on iTunes. This could be the second. Let us know when it drops.

geetee, thanks so much for your comments! You're spot on with the influences - Beatles, the Who, solo George, music hall by way of Kinks... the artist was in the Los Angeles area during the British invasion.

One of the other things we're trying to sort out, other than would anybody buy it, is just *how* people would buy it. iTunes is a given, but CDs are also good to have on hand to sell if playing out, so there's that. And it seems like all the kool kidz are buying vinyl again... but I suspect that's not the target demographic for this material.

Thanks everyone for your comments, it's been helpful. Will keep these up for a few more days then will be back with two more songs, so if you enjoyed these, please check them out!

Top Bottom