My Loprinzi soprano

jer

Reaction score
I recently got a LoPrinzi model A soprano made of all solid mahogany wood in Florida, USA. It's my one and only uke currently. I'm really liking it!
I got it from Elderly Instruments. They also had/have koa and cherry versions in stock. I don't live close enough to go there, so I had to get it mail order. I've been doing business with them for years, so no anxiety there.
The wood looks way better than it did in the picture. This is some exceptionally nice looking mahogany. It has a really nice sound to it, and it plays great. They do a professional setup before shipping, so I'm not sure how much of that is factory and how much of it is Elderly. I would guess Loprinzi does a great job at the shop, so maybe Elderly didn't even have to touch this one. Either way, it's a really nice uke and very reasonably priced for what you get.
I am really liking the 14 fret neck join. I can see why some of you insist on that. That little bit of extra space to work with makes it more comfortable to me for sure.
Will I keep it til I die? I don't want to answer that. ha. I know how I am with instruments. This one is really nice though. I'd definitely recommend giving LoPrinzi a try if you can.
I've also played one of their tenor cherry wood ukes a year or two ago and it was very nice too. I think it was also a Model A.
I'll attach some pics.
It is wearing Nyltech strings in these pics, but currently has T2's on it... It'll try some LaBella within the next few days too. I'm still figuring out the strings.

Edit: I forgot to mention it came with friction tuners. I despise friction tuners. I put on some Grover geared tuners that I'm very partial too. Oddly enough, I didn't even have to make the tuning holes larger. The bushings for the geared tuners fit in the original holes. I was expecting to have to enlarge them. The last time I did this mod was on a Martin S1 and I had to ream the holes larger on that one. The one scary part is that the screws that hold the tuning machines in place on the back of the headstock are almost as long as the headstock is thick. I was VERY careful while drilling those holes and then putting the screws in.

Last edited:
Congrats. With all due respect to Elderly, I don't think they have much to do when setting up a LoPrinzi as a general rule.

I have a Loprinzi concert cherry and mahogany and a mahogany soprano. They are great ukes and I love their neck profile.

Gorgeous uke! I hope you keep it forever. :shaka:

Congrats! Yes, I've met Donna and Augustino LoPrinzi several times, and am saving up for my own LoPrinzi. We're lucky enough to live nearby. Lots of fun to play!

very nice - thank you for posting pictures too!

Very nice. Congratulations. (If you ever need someone to check something out at Elderly, let me know. I love going there)

It is a lovely instrument! Good job on the tuners. I enjoy doing business with Elderly. They are always nice to work with.

Thanks all! :)

Congrats! Yes, I've met Donna and Augustino LoPrinzi several times, and am saving up for my own LoPrinzi. We're lucky enough to live nearby. Lots of fun to play!
Very cool. It'd be neat to visit the shop I'm sure.

Very nice. Congratulations. (If you ever need someone to check something out at Elderly, let me know. I love going there)
Thanks for the kind offer! I'm thinking one could get lost in that store for hours and hours.

Thanks again folks. The more time I've spent with it, the more I've liked it. That's a rare thing for me.

Top Bottom