Cool new iPad software to write out music

Hi Futurethink

Oops, you're right. To my aging brain, anything that looks like iPad is iPad. Honestly I didn't know there are others.... I can spot a ukulele size miles away but iPad thingies......

Cheers
Chief

seems that is for windows tablets not for ipad...

Not a very smart idea to only make it for a Windows tablet, the lowest selling tablet out there. I wonder if Microsoft is behind the development of the app.

It's a very smart idea. It was written for any touch sensitive screen that utilizes the "active" pen which limits it to not just the Surface, but to all Windows machines that have both the touch screen and the pen.

The fact that the iPad does not utilize touch screens with active pens is in itself an iPad limitation. Software developers with great ideas such as this program should not have to dumb down the softwares capability simply because the iPad cannot utilize the most distinctive and important feature of the program.

Surface sales have steadily increased with the release of the new models that run full Windows OS. I have both an iPad and a Surface Pro 3. I like both of them.

I'll be downloading this program for my Surface this morning.

StaffPad's cloud-save feature depends OneDrive being set to sync. OneDrive can be shut off during the Windows 8.1 setup, or at any other time, so your files aren't synced to the cloud unless you want that to happen. I don't know of any program or app that will turn it back on without your consent.

Although cloud accounts are supposed to be secure, the recent hacking of celebrity photos proves that it is fallible. I don't save anything to any cloud service that I don't mind someone else looking at.

StaffPad's website has a FAQ page at http://blog.staffpad.net/looking-through-windows/

Last edited:
. . . if you rely on your creation to make income you will be sharing your work with anyone you can get legal or illegal access to the data ware house where the data is stored. It will be stored there for at least the next 50 years, so they will have plenty of time to sift through and find your creative gems to process through a corporate music factory and turn out a number one hit. Even if Apple and Microsoft go out of business, your data which you gave them for free, will be sold as an asset and will just be moved around by the new owners.
This will be true of any files you create on an OS that automatically syncs to a cloud service, unless, as I noted above, you turn off that feature. Android and Windows aren't locked into the cloud, and I don't think iOS is, either.

I mentioned this app to my nephew tonight at our Passover sedar (he's a working film and TV composer). He knew about it and would like to find a really large tablet or touch screen computer so he can write full orchestra scores in one view.

As a side note, I don't save anything to the cloud, only use Dropbox to transfer music PDF files I create on my MacBook Pro to my 13.3" tablet.

Top Bottom