NUD: Flea (Red) Concert

Down Up Dick

Reaction score
Well, I went to a music store and picked up a red Flea concert. It was a little more expensive than Amazon, but I wanted to buy local and try it out first. My Luna "Peace" concert is louder, but the Flea's Loud enough I guess. Their tone is about the same to my ear.

I don't like the tuners; they're very tight, but maybe it'll hold it's tune well or maybe I'll get usta them. I bought a Kala tuner too. It was very expensive compared to my snark, but it seems somewhat easier to use. It's a lot smaller and has automatic shut off.

I'm not gonna try to add pics. It looks the same as all other red Fleas. :eek:ld:

Way to go brother DuD, concert flea is definitely a nice instrument and no worrying about humidity problems. Which I know you don't like. Kinda like a Blackbird Clara just less expensive and more colourful, congratulationsf

I had an all black Flea and really liked it. No humidification issues to report on that one. I was initially off-put by the friction tuners, but after awhile I came to like them. They make changing strings a lot faster process! I might get another one sooner rather than later.

Congratulations on your new red uke. Did you get the regular or the upgraded wooden fretboard? I love my mango Flea soprano. I agree that the tuners are tight but it really holds its tune. The plastic fretboard makes it difficult to see in when you're jamming in dim light and is a bit slippery but otherwise fun to play.

Dancing Seahorse, how does the mango flea look in person? I "need" a flea and would prefer something colorful

Congratulations on your new red uke. Did you get the regular or the upgraded wooden fretboard? I love my mango Flea soprano. I agree that the tuners are tight but it really holds its tune. The plastic fretboard makes it difficult to see in when you're jamming in dim light and is a bit slippery but otherwise fun to play.

I'm not gonna try to add pics. It looks the same as all other red Fleas. :eek:ld:

you mean like this? This is what I get when I google red flea concert...
redflea.jpg

Enjoy!!! Friction tuners are pretty easy to get used to, but I have to admit, I still prefer geared.

Dancing Seahorse, how does the mango flea look in person? I "need" a flea and would prefer something colorful

My mango soprano Flea (with the plastic fretboard). I do like it!

mango-flea.jpg

I suppose all pineapples look the same too but here is a pic of mine along with the surf fluke. ;)

image.jpg

Well, I went to a music store and picked up a red Flea concert. It was a little more expensive than Amazon, but I wanted to buy local and try it out first. My Luna "Peace" concert is louder, but the Flea's Loud enough I guess. Their tone is about the same to my ear.

I don't like the tuners; they're very tight, but maybe it'll hold it's tune well or maybe I'll get usta them. I bought a Kala tuner too. It was very expensive compared to my snark, but it seems somewhat easier to use. It's a lot smaller and has automatic shut off.

Congrats on the new uke! I love pics, even though it looks like all other red Fleas.

I suppose all pineapples look the same too but here is a pic of mine along with the surf fluke. ;)

View attachment 78107

I love the surf Fluke--I am always so tempted to buy one whenever I see a pic. It just looks so cool.

About the surf actually both of them I got them from fleamarketmusic directly they were "seconds" on the boards because of some slight fading. I was looking for the specific designs so I called them and they actually had a couple of these boards and I even got to choose.

I saved like 40$ a piece which used to get pegheds and rosewood fretboard. They were custom built for me. With the discount. So if you are really interested and want to save a little bit give them a call they might have a "second" design. On the surf the fading suits it perfectly. On the pineapple I can't even see the fading

Thanks Hendulele for posting the picture of the mango flea. I would call it a burnt orange.

Congratulations on the new Flea. I have a tenor Fluke. Very versatile and you never have to worry about it. I get down to 20 percent humidity and no issues. I did flush the friction tuners within the first month or so and buy the $69.00 Pegheds direct from MFC. They mailed it to me and switch was easy. With good tuners on the Fluke I'm happy. Would love to hear a solid wood top Fluke or Flea. So far Freemont strings sound the best.

Congrats. I don't currently own any Magic Fluke company ukes, but I do like them and think they produce a good product! With the ones I did have, I usually modify them and install Grover geared tuners (you have to modify the tuners a bit too). There's a used Fluke concert scale on Elderly as of right now (could be gone by the time someone is reading this) with the geared Grovers:
http://elderly.com/vintage/items/180U-2180.htm

I know someone on youtube has a video of installing geared tuners on one. They're not the Grovers I used.

Thanks hendulele - I like the look of that orange and black. One is now in the very near future for me/ ordering from Elderly now (free shipping & free gig bag on Elderly, as opposed to ordering from Magic Fluke Co).

My mango soprano Flea (with the plastic fretboard). I do like it!

View attachment 78103

Last edited:
Top Bottom