Just got my Calton case!

Laouik

Reaction score
Hello!

Full review in a few posts as I can only post four images per post...

So I just received the Calton case I ordered in mid-December. They admittedly had a production delay, but now it's here! I've no relationship with Calton or its dealer. I just wanted to share my findings as this was an expensive purchase and there aren't many write-ups on it.

This is essentially their mandolin case that's been repurposed. When I ordered it, there was no montion of ukuleles, now their mandolin case mentions ukuleles. I'm certainly not the first uke owner to order one, Ukulele Underground has a couple of quick reviews on it.

VsdFK9t.jpg

I selected brown exterior and green interior. I liked the brown in the images and the instrument has some green accents. I'm really happy with my choice. The exterior doesn't scream out like red, but it's more interesting (to me) than black, etc.

q7EAW7D.jpg

When I picked it up from my local dealer (Folkway music in Guelph, Ontario, lovely people), the first thing was... would it fit? It was a suspenseful moment. I admit that I held my breath as I'd been waiting for three months and did not know what would happen if it didn't. A perfect fit! My LFdM is quite snuggly inside. There's no give or wiggle room, but also no resistance in inserting the instrument. Fits like a glove. Happy.

1q2kA4X.jpg

The latches have bumpers around them, this way it's unlikely they'll get crushed in transit. I don't remember seeing these bumpers in other pictures. When travelling, I always plan to take the instrument with me as carry-on, but I've no control over an airline's demand to have it put in the hold. This provides additional piece of mind. The latch itself is quite stiff, but then snaps open so I've not to handle the d-ring at all. When closed, it's also quite firm which makes it seem like a good seal is made. There are three latches altogether, with a basic lock. It came with one key.

mISth8y.jpg

The handle is comfortable and feels solid (i.e. doesn't feel like it'll break away from the case). The stitching on the inside is definitely felt when carrying the instrument, I find it curious that the stitching isn't exclusively on the outside so that it doesn't dig into my fingers. I'd a minor point but wanted to outline everything I've noted.

7mN3pi2.jpg

This is side where the hinges are. There are bumpers there also as expected, so when the instrument is placed down from its carrying position it's protected.

DDRc54D.jpg

As you can see from the lower bout, the fit is very good. Even the space left for the pickup jack is spot on.

TIsh3ML.jpg

The neck is well supported and the headstock has room. Since the body is so well cradled, there'll be no movement expected here at the top. But there's room for a microfibre cloth under the headstock.

1SEIdx1.jpg

Here is the interior compartment. Inside is the shoulder strap. There's room for a tuner, a capo, a few other sundries. I'm likely to place an extra pack of strings below the headstock, rather than jam them in this smaller compartment.

HQdOyAN.jpg

Another view of the body section, also note how the hinge is covered with plush material. Super premium, yes? Yes.

XMT3l8m.jpg

Here is its bottom (!!!).

So there are my first impressions. I'm currently airing our the case, with the interior compartment open, as there's a strong smell of chemicals/solvent. Folkway said it's normal and recommended I not store the instrument inside until it's properly aired out, a recommendation to which I'm complying.

We were talking about chemical smells in cases a month or so back and how it can be absorbed by the instrument. Booli had a great solution where he propped it open in the garage and put a fan in front it running on high for a few days. You might want to give that a try as he said it worked like a charm.

We were talking about chemical smells in cases a month or so back and how it can be absorbed by the instrument. Booli had a great solution where he propped it open in the garage and put a fan in front it running on high for a few days. You might want to give that a try as he said it worked like a charm.

Good idea. Right now it's by an open window, on a wonderfully breezy day. The only really notable smell is when the interior compartment is open.

Wow that is easily the coolest case I've seen!

Nice case...

I have a Ohana hard shell case that fits my Lfdm perfect...super snug fit and good if you just want a hard case....price is good too....

Nice case...

I have a Ohana hard shell case that fits my Lfdm perfect...super snug fit and good if you just want a hard case....price is good too....

Can't get them easily here in Ontario, I looked and e-mailed for them. I travel a lot for work and I've not wanted to take my LFdM with me because I didn't have a case I thought was sufficient. Now - no excuse!

Incredibly lovely case and incredibly lovely ukulele inside!

Congratulations. It is a nice case indeed, they fit like a glove. I have one as well, but do slightly regret going with the black exterior (though I love my silver interior)...I have thought about ordering a red one and selling the black to someone with the same uke if I could find a buyer. It certainly holds a lot, and is extremely protective. I ordered the backpack option on my Calton to make transporting it a bit easier, did you choose that option?

Awesome choice, man! I ordered one from when they were still owned by that other guy. Been wanting another one since. They don't have much color choices though... might have to go with a classic white one. Congrats!

Thank you! A big purchase for sure.

I think they've decent range...
Red, blue, green, burgundy, orange, black, yellow, brown, white for the exterior... The brown looks even better than I'd hoped.

Edit: And gray!

Last edited:
Congratulations. It is a nice case indeed, they fit like a glove. I have one as well, but do slightly regret going with the black exterior (though I love my silver interior)...I have thought about ordering a red one and selling the black to someone with the same uke if I could find a buyer. It certainly holds a lot, and is extremely protective. I ordered the backpack option on my Calton to make transporting it a bit easier, did you choose that option?

And lighter than Ameritage...

I did not get the backpack option. I was already a little over my budget (and the currency conversion hurt... a lot...). I thought about it, but since I've never needed it in the past, and it has a shoulder strap, I figured I'd be ok for the time being.

Top Bottom