Just picked up this sweet little Ukulele

scripps

Reaction score
Just picked up this Ukulele. It seems to have traveled the world on the USS Midway from 58 to 61. Seems like an older Uku to me. any thoughts? numbers 100 and 9552 are on the inside. No maker marks or stickers. the binding is small parallelograms of different colored wood. I added new Martin strings and it plays well but needs the action brought down. a newer nut was added at some time. 20150404_131328.jpg20150404_131311.jpg

Cool uke! I have no idea what it is, but I love the graffiti on it.

I have no idea what it is either, but it sure is cool. That little thing has been around.

Great find! Welcome to UU and thanks for sharing this.

Nice and cool!

It's vintage origin has some cool possibilities. Hopefully, someone can lead you down the right path.

Ive been looking through 1000's of google pictures

It's vintage origin has some cool possibilities. Hopefully, someone can lead you down the right path.

Ive been looking through 1000's of google pictures, havnt seen it yet. im going to keep looking but i figured with that binding someone may have one. thanks for reading this post. I can post more pictures if that helps. no dots on the fretboard

Ive been looking through 1000's of google pictures, havnt seen it yet. im going to keep looking but i figured with that binding someone may have one. thanks for reading this post. I can post more pictures if that helps. no dots on the fretboard

I'm going to guess you've already visited the Ukulele Hall of Fame gallery, but in case you haven't - here it is. Even if exactly *what* you have remains a mystery, it looks like you got yourself a neat little uke.

What history and character. A keeper for sure. Hope you find the story behind this one.

very cool!!! Congrat's on the find...both of them! ;-D

It looks similar in a lot of ways, but the bridge on yours is different. Look at the sides of the bridge. Also, look at the part where he mentions the holes that appear in the fretboard on all of the OS instruments. I can't tell in the pics if yours has them or not. I guess it could be a slightly different version of the one you linked to, but it could be another builder too. Hm.

It sure looks like the same thing to me. I see the difference in the bridge, but what does that mean? And after looking at it even closer, it looks like the bridge may have been replaced at one time. Anyway, being an old Navy sailor, I think it has to be the coolest ukulele I've seen yet.

Last edited:
I had thought Supertone (by Harmony) but so many builders used that peanut shape and marquetry inlay around the soundhole and binding it's really tough to say. The style, though, almost certainly puts it in the 1920's. So it was old by the time it made it onboard the Midway.

Regardless of the builder, the story and the "signatures" and ports of call on the back are absolutely incredible. Thanks for sharing this unique instrument.

Wow, what a cool find! They scratched their names in it just like people did on Willie Nelsons Trigger! Congratulations.

Just wanted to weigh in here -- it's a 20s Oscar Schmidt uke with a later (30s/40s) Harmony bridge on it. The bridges could easily be ordered from any retailer catalog parts section.

Just wanted to weigh in here -- it's a 20s Oscar Schmidt uke with a later (30s/40s) Harmony bridge on it. The bridges could easily be ordered from any retailer catalog parts section.

Thanks for that info Jake.....

Top Bottom