Reaction score
Aloha Kakou, just wanted to share 3 of my favorite ukuleles. L to R
NICE tenor, Mele concert, R&L supersoprano
P1010171.jpg

1. NICE of Kapolei (Edward Bacani) Koa tenor pineapple
P1010160.jpg

P1010161.jpg

P1010163.jpg

R & L of Honolulu (Randy & Lenda Wong) Koa super soprano (concert neck)
P1010167.jpg

P1010168.jpg

P1010169.jpg

All three have a unique beautiful voice so I can't pick a favorite (like picking a favorite child). I put Aquilas on the Mele which made her really sing. I must say the R & L is the prettiest to look at though not by much (all my daughters are beautiful :) )
I have a special foundness for pineapple ukes because I grew up with the sound of my Dad's Kamaka pineapple drifting through our home. My Dad passed away 2 years ago, and his Kamaka was stolem over 30 years ago so I'm hoping I can return some of that magic from years ago back into the old homestead. E kala mai ia'u for the long post, aloha a hui hou.

...beautiful, exquisite...i've always been fascinated by pineapple...

Regarding the soprano - do you find that the extra body volume in the pineapple, as opposed to a narrow waisted design, offers a significantly different tone?

Been curious.

Thanks.

I have always wanted a pineapple since the design is so classic, but have not found one from a good builder at a good price yet. I was wondering the same thing about the sound and tone as well.

Your Mele and R&L look amazing.

Wow, the wood on the R&L is amazing. I really wanna try playing a pineapple but i haven't gotten the chance too. Is there a difference is sound/tone?

Your pineapples are beautiful, but your story is even more beautiful. I'm glad you bringing the music back into your life. I started re-learning how to play because of my dad. He taught me when I was little and I forgot how to play, and never really thought about it much all these years until he had a stroke a little over a year ago. I remembered how much he used to loved to play but the stroke caused him to forget how. I'm re-learning so that I can teach him this time. I'm hoping it will be good therapy for him.

I'd rather have a cold slice of fresh Pineapple at the Dole plantation on Oahu. Now that is really living !

Regarding the soprano - do you find that the extra body volume in the pineapple, as opposed to a narrow waisted design, offers a significantly different tone?

Been curious.

Thanks.

My Only other sopranos to compare the R & L to are my 1915 Koa Kumalae, and a solid Mahogany Roy Smeck Harmony. The R & L Koa Pineapple with it's more voluminous body has a noticably fuller mellower tone. The R & L Pineapple's body is larger than the Kamaka & Koaloha though still smaller than a concert so a tad more mellow than these pineapples too while still being very clean sounding. I also have a Mahogany laminate Mahalo Pineapple which is actually a decent sounding uke for the money but this solid Koa is so much cleaner sounding. I'll eventually round out my quiver with a Kamaka, and a Koaloha Pineapple since I LOVE my pineapples.
Mahalo for all the positive comments, and letting me share, wish dad was here to jam with. :music:

Top Bottom