PDA

View Full Version : Songs to impress people?

MassPrimeSyndicate
04-05-2015, 11:11 AM
Give me some ideas! :shaka:

Brad Bordessa
04-05-2015, 11:47 AM
Something you wrote yourself.

photoshooter
04-05-2015, 11:57 AM
Bohemian Rhapsody

Freeda
04-05-2015, 12:03 PM
Stairway to Heaven

katysax
04-05-2015, 12:19 PM
While my Ukulele Gently Weeps

peanuts56
04-05-2015, 12:21 PM
Rob MacKillop's 20 Easy Fingerstyle Studies book has some very interesting sounding pieces. My favorite is a piece called One-Nil and my next favorite is a piece called Cascades. Fun pieces to play.

Hippie Dribble
04-05-2015, 12:26 PM
Something you wrote yourself.

+ 1 :old:
_______

cdkrugjr
04-05-2015, 12:26 PM
Snowdrop (Aaron Keim version, so far .. .)

janeray1940
04-05-2015, 12:31 PM
I've never exactly intentionally set out to impress people, but one thing I've noticed is that if you play something totally unexpected, not associated at all with ukulele, and play it decently, they'll be impressed. Even if you make a few mistakes along the way :)

For me, as a non-singer, this has meant a lot of classical - if that's something you're into, I'd recommend the books by John King and Tony Mizen. This could probably also apply to other genres of music as well, but classical is what I personally enjoy playing the most.

Icelander53
04-05-2015, 12:35 PM
depends on the person. If you played for me while my ukelele gently weeps I'd go to sleep.

Tootler
04-05-2015, 01:13 PM
Why do you want to impress?

I play for pleasure and, I hope, to entertain. If someone says they've enjoyed what I've played, I'm happy.

Nickie
04-05-2015, 01:14 PM
Last night I played Love Me Tender, instrumental version for our jam session people, they loved it! Easy to play, but a real attention gitter!

NewKid
04-05-2015, 01:28 PM
I would be impressed if you could play IZ's actual strumming pattern on Somewhere Over the Rainbow. It's a lot harder than people think and I haven't heard anyone play it like on the original recording. Always close but no cigar! I'm still working on it.

Papa Tom
04-05-2015, 02:05 PM
What's your skill level? Are you looking for a piece that makes you appear to be better than you actually are, or do you want something to show off how good you actually are?

I've come up with a pretty slick finger-plucking version of "Shortnin' Bread" that I play really fast and with a lot of corny triplets. It's only two chords, but it fools most people (including real musicians) into thinking I'm really playing the heck out of the instrument.

The other thing I play to impress people is The Beatles' "Here Comes The Sun." When my uke is in tune (40% of the time) it sounds very sweet and pretty danged technical. But I'd imagine anybody on this forum can make it sound a lot better than I can.

deschutestrout
04-05-2015, 02:05 PM
It's not the song that will impress, it's the YOU that will impress, if that is your objective. If it's obvious to the audience that you are truly having fun ... they likely will too. Some of my most well received songs at a gig are the simplest 3 chord tunes out there. Play for yourself, dial in a play list you're comfy with, let the rest happen naturally. Crowds tend to know when you're trying to impress...they call it EGO ... and then, yer dead :cool:

sukie
04-05-2015, 02:30 PM
Crazy G!

That's a good one.

spookelele
04-05-2015, 02:33 PM
You know who impresses me?
Rawuke on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/user/rawuke

It's not what he plays but how he plays it. Don't get me wrong, he's a player, but there's more to it than his technique and quirky costumes. You can't not love him.

Ukejenny
04-05-2015, 03:43 PM
Something you love, have a connection to, and can play really well. That would be my choice.

Memphis Weirdo
04-05-2015, 03:53 PM
Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds.

No one EVER expects to hear that opening line come from a ukulele. It can actually cause people to spew beverages out of their noses.

Another good one is Simon & Garfunkel's, The Boxer. It shocks people to hear that intro riff, and the subsequent rolling fingerstyle of the song sounds really good on the ukulele.

By the way, both of those songs work better on a soprano...

SHOCK VALUE.

Icelander53
04-05-2015, 04:03 PM
Don't forget the "awe".

"what, me worry"

igorthebarbarian
04-05-2015, 07:15 PM
something you know the lyrics to.... also Snow's "Informer"

hucklelele
04-05-2015, 07:35 PM
"I Kill L.A. in the Springtime....."

Tootler
04-05-2015, 10:49 PM
It's not the song that will impress, it's the YOU that will impress, if that is your objective. If it's obvious to the audience that you are truly having fun ... they likely will too. Some of my most well received songs at a gig are the simplest 3 chord tunes out there. Play for yourself, dial in a play list you're comfy with, let the rest happen naturally. Crowds tend to know when you're trying to impress...they call it EGO ... and then, yer dead :cool:

Well said.

You make a basic mistake by trying to impress. Work at playing your songs as well as you can. If you're playing for an audience, choose songs that you like but which you think your audience will like too. Enjoy yourself but play them as well as you can and your audience will enjoy themselves. What more could you ask for?

Pukulele Pete
04-06-2015, 12:23 AM
Go to YouTube and check out " Bye bye Blues " taught by Matthew Richards.

mama207
04-06-2015, 03:03 AM
I think it really depends on who you are trying to impress and the setting. Is it a paid performance, what is the venue, are you playing at a casual party, is the audience mostly musicians or non musician friends or family? Know you audience, I think, is the answer.

kkimura
04-06-2015, 03:20 AM
Any song you play well.

sonomajazz
04-06-2015, 05:33 AM
This one always works for me...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6ee1v6hlok

(A little dated now...)

MassPrimeSyndicate
04-06-2015, 05:39 AM
What's your skill level? Are you looking for a piece that makes you appear to be better than you actually are, or do you want something to show off how good you actually are?

I've come up with a pretty slick finger-plucking version of "Shortnin' Bread" that I play really fast and with a lot of corny triplets. It's only two chords, but it fools most people (including real musicians) into thinking I'm really playing the heck out of the instrument.

The other thing I play to impress people is The Beatles' "Here Comes The Sun." When my uke is in tune (40% of the time) it sounds very sweet and pretty danged technical. The funny thing is, this song just came to me automatically one of the first times I picked up the uke and I couldn't explain how or when I learned it. Seemed like a past-life memory, for real. Puzzling then, was why I had so much trouble remembering the two chords to "The Wheels On The Bus Go Round & Round."

Skill level is pretty high (not trying to be cocky or anything). I feel like I tired out all of the chord progressions I use and the advanced songs I used (Guava Jam, ect.). I feel like I need another challenge a little bit more difficult than my previous songs. And the reason to impress people is because I honestly like to see the smiles I bring to peoples faces when I play for them :D

strumsilly
04-06-2015, 06:29 AM
I'm impressed by people who smile and look like they are enjoying themselves, it's catching.

Nickie
04-06-2015, 07:54 AM
this one always works for me...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6ee1v6hlok

(a little dated now...)

omg i lol!

"Go to YouTube and check out " Bye bye Blues " taught by Matthew Richards."
Yes, I learned this one and I love to play it! I have yet to play it in public though.