There Will Never Be Another You - Hive Ukulele - Swing Uke - Gerald Ross

Gerald Ross

Reaction score
My first video with my new Hive Hornet tenor uke. The Swing classic "There Will Never Be Another You". Recorded acoustically (no pickup) with a Rode NT-1 microphone. Thanks to Jake Maclay for the fantastic instrument. I love it!

Thanks Gerald! You're always a class act! Great playing and song!

Petey

Gerald, you have the best taste in the ukulele world. Beautiful song selection, and impeccable style. Thanks for sharing your music.

Thanks all. I'll be doing more within the next few months. I'm just starting to get comfortable with the Hive uke.

p.s., I'll be releasing a new CD in the beginning of May. Keep your ears peeled.

Very nice. How did you decide between the Hornet and the Honey Bee models of the Hive?

I played both the Hornet and Honey Bee at Jake MaClay's shop. They both sounded great, played like butter and had impeciable (sp?) workmanship. I prefer the looks of the Hornet.

Geez , that was awesome , and You make it look so easy .

Cool, Gerald.

I like that you pick with all fingers. Many (even some of great renown) literally pick the lead with a single thumb. This is fine, but seems rather rate-limiting for speed (not to mention, career limiting in the event of an unintentional kitchen knife accident). I have tried to emulate your all-fingers style since picking up the instrument four years ago. It's worked: I've never let myself be a thumb-picker. And, all told, I have as much talent as your left little toe--but it's coming along. ��

Merely observations from the peanut gallery. Sorry to take 45 seconds of your life that you'll never get back. Lol

One of the issues of being a thumb-picker (only pick the melody with one's thumb) is the fact that you have to "reload" your thumb after each note. In other words, after you pick, your thumb is below the strings. You have bring your thumb up and back into position to pick the next note. Wastes time and slows you down. Yes there are great players who can do this quickly, cleanly and with expression, but for the most part it's a very inefficient style of playing.

Gerald, I'm a huge fan. (Watch out) I am always impressed with your unerring style, and feel for your music. I attended one of your classes and remember well the way you address "burning too many calories" while playing. That made a world of sense. Since that class, I strive to keep the motions as small and neat as possible.
Here's James Hill (another great performer) playing some Jazz in the thumb-only style. He describes it sort of as another way to skin a cat, and tells why it too has real value alongside other ways of playing.

Fascinating contrast in playing styles, Stever. Nice linked vid.

Thanks for your reply, Gerald. Many ways to skin a cat. Would love to hear your thoughts on the Hill "paddy thumb" technique, Gerald.

I play with all fingers but like to play sometimes with the thumb. I think it brings the lower sound out in the strings.

I picked up thumb playing from Lyle Ritz's "Lyle's Style" Dvd when working with it. You can see a video of him playing on the DVD here on youtube to get an idea. This is my opinion, but I do not like how they did the bass on the DVD. It was a little too heavy. Luckily when he is teaching on the DVD, the bass is not part of it. The video is down below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JC5...xWGtbijbXP1b80ooy1s9g9Ac&index=5&spfreload=10

Fingerpicking: I've been working on Hawaiian Music and using Pekelo Intermediate Book. You have to use all four finger to work at speed with the Hawaiian songs. At least I have to. It just sounds cleaner to me when using four fingers to pick.

I've found that I alternate between thumb and finger picking depending on the song. Sometimes on simpler songs like Low Cotton, the thumb picking adds a nice sound to it.

Top Bottom