Mexican vs Asian imports?

dabutler

Reaction score
Has anyone had a chance to compare some of the better imports out there under $400? I'm sure there is a thread going somewhere about this.

I'm looking into a new soprano that i don't have to worry too much about and was wondering what people thought about some of these these:

Martin OXK, S-1
Islander MS-4, MSS-4
Koaloha Opio
Pono MS, AS
Komoa E3-S

Anything else you guys recommend I check out?

Thanks!

I've got a Favilla import from New York for sale in the marketplace. nice vintage mahogany, great sound and playability. no issues. $250 shipped. I've had an Islander MS-4, they are nice too, but they don't compare with the favilla, which can hold it's own to a vintage Martin.

Mainland ... can't go wrong with one of Mike's ukes ... and, less than $400 ;)

I'm impressed with Amahi. Not the most popular name out there, but the sound is really good (to me, anyway), the price is super and the customer service from their Cincinnati operation was stellar. If I need another soprano-concert-tenor acoustic, Amahi will get first nod.

The best thing you can do when buying in that price range is buy from a place that does a proper set up, like The Ukulele Site, Mim's Ukes, etc. QC can vary quite a bit out of the factory so buying with a proper set up can make a lot of difference.

In the $400 price range, I would also add Ohana and Cordoba to your list.

Good luck!

Last edited:
You can pick up a vintage Martin 0 for under $400. The trick is to have it set up and checked out before purchase, or have a solid return policy in place. They are hard to beat for projection and the ukulele sound.

I'll vouch for the Martin S1. I'll also vouch for the C1K and T1k. Those are very well made ukes. Very nice looking also! I prefer the Mexican made Martins over other imports.

I got my little LoPrinzi Model A mahogany soprano for $445. That isn't much over the budget you're looking at. It's made in the USA, and is a fine instrument. They can be hard to find, or you simply just have to wait for one. I thought about getting another Martin S1 before I purchased it. I had one before, and let it go. It was a tough choice to make, but I like the 14 fret neck join on the LoPrinzi. Honestly, I think I could be happy with an S1 though.
You might also look on Elderly Instrument's website for used ukuleles.

Here's my preferred order of the instruments you list:

1. Koaloha Opio
2. Martin
3. Pono
4. Kamoa
5. Islander

Funny thing, the only brand from your list that I own is the one I put last. What does that say?

Maybe that I like all your chosen options.

Koaloha Opio, one and done. You won't be looking for another uke after you own this. I owned both the Concert size Opio and Koaloha KCM-00 which was over twice the price of the Opio. KCM-00 was sold but I still own the Opio........enough said.

If you want vintage the Favilla that Strumsilly is selling cannot be beat.

I have the Opio and the OXK. I got the Opio first, then the OXK 3 months later. I love the Opio. but I am finding that of the two, the OXK is becoming my go-to everyday ukulele. For instance, I was just sitting in my tiny and humid laundry room waiting for the washer to finish so I could load the clothes into the dryer - and playing the OXK the whole time. My arm was sticking to the uke from perspiration. When I finished, I just wiped it down and put it away in the case. Never a worry about dings, humidity, sweat, or scratches. So, the OXK is my utilitarian ukulele and great for practicing. But, the Opio - can't beat that sweet sound.

Has anyone had a chance to compare some of the better imports out there under $400? I'm sure there is a thread going somewhere about this.

I'm looking into a new soprano that i don't have to worry too much about and was wondering what people thought about some of these these:

Martin OXK, S-1
Islander MS-4, MSS-4
Koaloha Opio
Pono MS, AS
Komoa E3-S

Anything else you guys recommend I check out?

Thanks!

What exactly are you worried about? Many of those cost some bucks and are solid wood.

The Kiwaya KS-1 would be another good choice. It is a high quality laminate along the lines of the OXK.

What is it about the Opio that you liked more than the KCM-00?

I want to make this clear so there is no misunderstanding.......I did not dislike the KCM-00, it is fabulous. It has more over tones and a slightly brighter sound than the Opio. The overall sound and volume are very similar between the two and I sold the KCM-00 to someone who really wanted it and loves it. I am a tenor guy and it was criminal to have such a great instrument just sitting in it's case most of the time.

Here's my preferred order of the instruments you list:

1. Koaloha Opio
2. Martin
3. Pono
4. Kamoa
5. Islander

Funny thing, the only brand from your list that I own is the one I put last. What does that say?

Maybe that I like all your chosen options.
I agree w this list.

For a high quality good sounding soprano that you never have to worry about try the Martin OXK. Yes there may be ukes that sound and or look a little bit better but when you factor in the bullet proof nature of the OXK, it is clearly the winner.

Top Bottom