Kamaka Ohta-san 50th Anniversary - owner pictures

sonsinn

Reaction score
I longer for an Ohta-san model of Kamaka Ukulele for a while. last Christmas I got one from ukulelefriend.com it is a spruce top and Koa back and side. it dated Sep 10th, 1996 suppose to be the last white label era. sounds wonderful. I contacted Kamaka Hawaii. it is said there's no anniversary program for this model which is created by Samuel Jr. with Ohta Sr. in 1965. what is your Ohta-san Uke? will you post a photo here and with date/year info? we might be able to make a small celebration for this special shape and sound instrument.
10013679_1522978197961414_5249924128976919881_n.jpg

White labels ended end of 1999.... do your research next time, I've never ever heard of an anniversary edition....

of course I know white label until 1999. era is not the year but a decade if I understand the word meaning correctly. I hope they could make an anniversary model. anyway only a wish.

I have an Ohta-San all Koa. I love it; it is unique and plays and sounds great. I am hoping that Kamaka will do something special next year for the 100th anniversary and maybe offer an anniversary Ohta-San as one of the choices. They say that they are working on some special ukes for next year.

I think OP was saying that this year is the 50th anniversary of the Ohta-San and he was hoping that Kamaka would make a special one this year. That would have been a great idea. They are probably too focused on getting ready for the big event next year.

Ohta-san 2015.jpgJust returned from a vacation in Hawaii. My highlights were the two free beginner classes that I attended and of course, getting a Kamaka Ohta-San all koa. It has inspired me to be more diligent in learning the ukulele.

Last edited:
Lovely Ohta-San! It seems that next year all the Kamakas are getting something special to commemorate the company's anniversary. I'll just get a t-shirt, but I am looking forward to seeing what they come up with.

of course I know white label until 1999. era is not the year but a decade if I understand the word meaning correctly. I hope they could make an anniversary model. anyway only a wish.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, I read your post wrong..yes I have played many ohta.san kamaka from
The earliest ones to the most recent ones. Loprinzi makes or made a ohta.san San model once too
Happy strummings

Last edited:
Why not just cut the strings?

So that the strings might be re-used on another instrument, spook.

Oh, and also because the vibrations through the curly-Q of strings dramatically improve the sonic resonance, thereby giving better bass tones and sustain. All the greats do it, like here.

Sonsinn must be a proficient player; in unskilled hands, the looped strings can have the ukulele "getting away" from a player, akin to a grandmother driving a powerful Indy car and losing it into the grandstand on the S-curve.

Last edited:
Isn't anyone with a Kamaka Ohta-San going to post photos of it? I think the OP wanted this thread to be a celebration of the Ohta-San through photos of them. People who want to do other things should start their own threads.

UkeKamaka.jpgHere's my Ohta-San. Purchased from Elderly. My absolute favorite ukulele!

image.jpgI ordered mine from the factory when I was there. It is date stamped Nov 27, 2012. Mine is Koa with a spruce top. Love it, it really does "play it's self".

This is my favourite model Ohta-san (images courtesy of Artisan Guitars). It's the deluxe model, all koa with the gorgeous 3 coloured rope binding. Just stunning. The write up here is also interesting in that it provides a brief background on the man himself.
https://artisanguitars.com/pre-owned-kamaka-custom-shop-hb-2-dk-koa

Beautiful little demo. Amazing, rich tone.

Last edited:
Those Kamaka Ohta-sans are on my wish list. Exactly the size I like.

Now I am going to stay away from this thread. Not a good time to be tempted into a pricy uke purchase...

Top Bottom